I Hate Greens

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've posted here and on other sites about my lifelong loathing of greens and everbody has replied with helpful suggestions of how to incorporate them into my diet (usually hidden in with other vegetables or disguised as potatoes or rice). I got so sick of forcing smoothies and soups down my throat I stopped bothering a couple of months ago, and my diarrhea has cleared up - whats going on?
I do eat salads and can cope with shredded cabbage in a coleslaw but apart from that I have no green vegs at all now, I asked my GP if there was a bloodtest to check my Vit C - he said it was a waste of time.
Should I be taking a supplement?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have loose tummy on veg.
So...... I've had to slowly slowly catch thee monkey.
I've had to only add veg a little then increase a few weeks later a little more and so on and so forth.
I can tolerate more than when I started.
Veg is my winning formula to low carb working. Without enough veg and pork scratchings I fail.
Is that something you would consider? Start with 2 or 3 pieces. Do you prefer hard veg or soft veg?
Be careful of too much iron from too much broccoli and brussel sprouts. As nuts and dark chocolate are high in iron too. Vit c allows iron absorption. So be careful of vit c overdose too.
I used to always get a cold when I tried to fill my diet with loads of veg. (A form of carb flu).
I'm slowly increasing my veg without nasty side effects. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't eat veg much until I was diagnosed T2 last year. I did take multivitamin supplements, and still do though I am eating more veggies now and have got to like them. I am 65 now and apart from the T2 I am quite fit and healthy for my age so I think if you really can't eat veg you should take supplements.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never eaten any salad or vegetables my entire life (apart from loads of spuds and occasional peas, obviously). Always taken vitamin/mineral supplements as an adult. Now I'm low-carbing it is no different - still no veg. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I've believed for a long time that research showing veg is good for you is flawed - it only appears to be good for you because people who eat veg tend NOT to eat other stuff that is bad.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I've never eaten any salad or vegetables my entire life (apart from loads of spuds and occasional peas, obviously). Always taken vitamin/mineral supplements as an adult. Now I'm low-carbing it is no different - still no veg. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I've believed for a long time that research showing veg is good for you is flawed - it only appears to be good for you because people who eat veg tend NOT to eat other stuff that is bad.
Why do you believe that the research is flawed? Do you think that vegetables are bad for us?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think veg are bad for you ... after all I am a vegetarian !!! but I do think that some people are more designed to eat meat than veg.. I would never eat meat ..also I would never expect a confirmed meat eater to eat veg .. we are all different .. eat what suites your body :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not bad, I'm pretty neutral about them really. I think that for most people, veg are OK because they are mainly water, so not much effect on blood sugars. Not convinced they have much nutrition that can't be got elsewhere. But I do have an inherent anti-veg bias - apart from potatoes, I just dislike them intensely. I once seriously considered forming "The society for the abolition of salad garnishes".

I accept that veg may have some protective effect against cancer, but I think the whole "5 a day" thing is just ludicrous, and fruit, apart from berries, is just really bad news.

However, it seems clear that most people who have been successful with LCHF have found that lots of veg is the only way they can do it, so that's fair enough.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not bad, I'm pretty neutral about them really. I think that for most people, veg are OK because they are mainly water, so not much effect on blood sugars. Not convinced they have much nutrition that can't be got elsewhere. But I do have an inherent anti-veg bias - apart from potatoes, I just dislike them intensely. I once seriously considered forming "The society for the abolition of salad garnishes".

I accept that veg may have some protective effect against cancer, but I think the whole "5 a day" thing is just ludicrous, and fruit, apart from berries, is just really bad news.

However, it seems clear that most people who have been successful with LCHF have found that lots of veg is the only way they can do it, so that's fair enough.
Ah I see. I was just a little concerned that a newbie might read the words "research showing veg is good for you is flawed." If you just dislike veg intensely, fair dos.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@ExD , I 'm sure you can get all the goodness (vitamins, minerals, fibre) from non-green veggies if that's your preference, as for a supplement, don't suppose a multivitamin would do any harm..

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a natural veg lover. I would never think "oooh, pass me that carrot", And I sort of believe that the body will seek out what it needs if we can control the compulsive nature of our minds to eat eat eat (we are a gluttonous race!).
Some years ago, I started eating lots of spinach - I'd never touched the stuff before. Not long after that I found out I was anaemic. I still love spinach now, but never get the desire to eat a bag full like I used to.

The only way I've really been able to up my veggie intake is to grow my own in my allotment. I guess it's a secret desire to be a bit self sufficient, my mind makes them taste better because I grew them, and it's a cheap way of bulking up what would otherwise be a diet of 85% chicken. (I love roast chicken to an absolute fault).

I don't think that there's a problem with excluding any particular food group as long as you are healthy and feel healthy. If you can get your nutrients elsewhere, then that's no-one else's business.

One of the few bonuses of being diabetic is that I could happily stop eating fruit. I only ate it because it was the "thing" to do. Always detested grapefruit (bag of devil's pee), didn't care much for oranges (bag of sugary battery acid), and found apples to be blah (gum shredding nasties). I eat berries, but then again, I never ate berries before.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I never liked fruit and still don't. An occasional banana or apple maybe. When I'm on holiday in the tropics I do like the fresh fruit there, mangoes, melon, papaya and pineapple, but they don't taste as good here. I've never understood what the attraction of strawberries is.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never liked fruit and still don't. An occasional banana or apple maybe. When I'm on holiday in the tropics I do like the fresh fruit there, mangoes, melon, papaya and pineapple, but they don't taste as good here. I've never understood what the attraction of strawberries is.

I'm in the tropics a lot. Have you been there since diagnosis, and if you have were you testing? I only ask as I find local fruit, eaten locally to be very blood friendly - for me anyway.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ExD well nobody can force you to eat vegetables... if you want to stay healthy..and live longest possible with the diabetes diagnosis..the vegetables seems to help the most... among vegans the risk of becomming diaabetic is about one fourth of average meat eaters that also eat a fair part of vegetables... when allready having diabetes you live longest if having a blood glucose under 5.5mmol the 23 hours of a day.... if you eat very much red meat your risk of getting af Heart attack rises the most and combined with very much bloood cholesterol it seems very sure combined with high bloodglucose that it has a very bad prognosis... you could though live of nuts salats and White meat...and maybe find other ways to get a high fiber intake like taking Psyllium to prevent cancer in your gut...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoCrbs4Me seems to do fine eating mostly animal foods. I don't see why you should force yourself to eat greens if you don't like them. The Eskimos and Maasai also managed to live very healthy lives without the recommended 5x day.

My personal preference is always for cooked vegs. About the only time I ever eat salads is when I eat out. I don't hate them, just not my first choice. I could never be one of those raw foodist types :eek:

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm in the tropics a lot. Have you been there since diagnosis, and if you have were you testing? I only ask as I find local fruit, eaten locally to be very blood friendly - for me anyway.
I was in Thailand in January. I was testing. I avoided eating fruits as I had read on here that they were high in sugars, but I succumbed on the last couple of days and ate mangoes. They didn't seem to raise my bs. I will be going again next January and will be eating more fruits this time.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no rules that says because you have diabetes that you have to eat greens. There is nothing worse than trying to make yourself eat something you really don't like and by trying to disguise it in smoothies etc you still know it is there so it won't make you like it any better Find what vegetables and fruit that you do like and can eat and forget the greens

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Thailand in January. I was testing. I avoided eating fruits as I had read on here that they were high in sugars, but I succumbed on the last couple of days and ate mangoes. They didn't seem to raise my bs. I will be going again next January and will be eating more fruits this time.

I'd definitely say test around it all. Much as I could live on fruit , and pre-diagnosis I ate a lot of it, I have modest portions when away, and just keep an eye on the numbers. Thankfully, my OH also enjoys fruit, so we can usually share nicely. Enjoy your winter break.