One Meal A Day?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stumbled across this great video on Youtube. Well worth watching - and maybe trying it for yourself?

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting talk I got in my Youtube feed today which adds even more weight to the idea of One Meal A Day.

He bases a lot of the discussion on this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24099292

Basically an argument for why people on a keto diet shouldn't be eating as often because lipids are being stockpiled in the gut and are released in small amounts over an 18 hour period:

I read his book Belly Fat Effect a while back and it is pretty good, especially the stuff on satiety hormones, though he's updated his theories a lot since the book was published.

Makes me wonder because I've recently been eating 2 meals (breakfast and late lunch), then fasting till the next morning (16-18hours) and since I've been doing that I'm having great Fasting BG most mornings and returning to base level much faster after eating. Prior to this I was eating 2 meals and a late afternoon/early evening snack and then fasting overnight. Haven't changed my calories all that much - just eating more at the late lunch. Also haven't lost any weight and been doing it for over a week (then again, my set point seems to be totally stuck - my weight hasn't changed much over the past year).

I'm wondering if the people who suffer with insulin resistance (especially the more sedentary) wouldn't do really well on the Warrior Diet/One Meal A Day regime? His theory is that the fat in the enterocytes of the gut are the root cause of insulin resistance and resetting the 18 hour bottleneck on a regular basis will improve insulin sensitivity.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice vids @Indy51

this graph is one of Jason Fung's (his intensive dietary management blog) and it explains why insulin resistance is increased by 3 meals a day plus the snacks we are all encouraged to eat nowadays.

Basically, if you want to reduce insulin resistance, then he says to reduce the frequency of eating.
Meal-timing-6x-day.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy51