1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

One Meal A Day?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Indy51, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Stumbled across this great video on Youtube. Well worth watching - and maybe trying it for yourself?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Very interesting and thanks for posting @Indy51
    Just started day 3 of a hopefully 7 day fast...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Interesting talk I got in my Youtube feed today which adds even more weight to the idea of One Meal A Day.

He bases a lot of the discussion on this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24099292

Basically an argument for why people on a keto diet shouldn't be eating as often because lipids are being stockpiled in the gut and are released in small amounts over an 18 hour period:

I read his book Belly Fat Effect a while back and it is pretty good, especially the stuff on satiety hormones, though he's updated his theories a lot since the book was published.

Makes me wonder because I've recently been eating 2 meals (breakfast and late lunch), then fasting till the next morning (16-18hours) and since I've been doing that I'm having great Fasting BG most mornings and returning to base level much faster after eating. Prior to this I was eating 2 meals and a late afternoon/early evening snack and then fasting overnight. Haven't changed my calories all that much - just eating more at the late lunch. Also haven't lost any weight and been doing it for over a week (then again, my set point seems to be totally stuck - my weight hasn't changed much over the past year).

I'm wondering if the people who suffer with insulin resistance (especially the more sedentary) wouldn't do really well on the Warrior Diet/One Meal A Day regime? His theory is that the fat in the enterocytes of the gut are the root cause of insulin resistance and resetting the 18 hour bottleneck on a regular basis will improve insulin sensitivity.

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice vids @Indy51

this graph is one of Jason Fung's (his intensive dietary management blog) and it explains why insulin resistance is increased by 3 meals a day plus the snacks we are all encouraged to eat nowadays.

Basically, if you want to reduce insulin resistance, then he says to reduce the frequency of eating.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Brunneria, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A great find! Thanks @Indy51

Will be sharing this on my facebook page.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook