The warm weather

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, this may sound a stupid question ,but can the warm weather make my sugar go up and down I have RH not diabetes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all, this may sound a stupid question ,but can the warm weather make my sugar go up and down I have RH not diabetes?
It is not a stupid question!
And of course it can!
There are many things that affect blood glucose levels. Even your mood!
I cannot stay in the direct sun as I once could.
Drink some water and have some salt on a quick small meal.
Find a cool place to relax and chill. If you are overheating use something from the freezer to cool you down, bag of veg etc.

Hope this helps.
I have a fan handy, to help if I need to.

How are coping other than the heat?

Reactions: filly and rehab1171

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find eating regularly a problem.
I am also finding that taking two slow release metformin mid meal at tea time, my food does not affect me (low carbing) .but no matter what I try for breakfast and lunch I feel the effects of after.what am I doing wrong.?
I just want to get it right

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is the metformin causing you problems?
Because that can have an effect on your stomach and bowels, and of course how you feel. Which will upset your other hormones if you feel less than well.

You could have a touch of dawn phenomenon, what are your fasting blood glucose levels? What are you having for breakfast? How you start the day has an impact.

I find that I can miss breakfast, as part of my intermittent fasting.
I know @Brunneria misses breakfast and only has coffee and full fat cream most of the time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid we may need more info - what you eat, why you think it isn't working?

As nosher says, i don't eat regularly, like he does. I eat twice a day nowadays, either breakfast and evening at the weekend, or a small lunch and larger evening meal Mon-Fri. Sometimes i only eat once. I do best if I eat no carbs til evening. So i will have a coffee with cream that will keep me going for hours rather than eat carbs or protein, because they both affect my blood glucose in the mornings.

It is all low carb, and I certainly don't bother with small meals and snacks. I eat when I'm hungry, and eat well, in satisfying amounts and then forget about food til I get hungry again.

I must say it is delightful after all those years of phaffing with snacks and regular eating.

The secret (for me) is eating enough fat and getting the carbs really low. Fat is slow release, doesn't bump up blood glucose, is satisfying and stops you needing to keep topping up endlessly with snacks. I love it.

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am awaiting payday to get more strips to test with then I am going to knuckle down monitor and go for it big style!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would 'like' the last two posts if I could!
I am awaiting payday to get more strips to test with then I am going to knuckle down monitor and go for it big style!

Let us know how you do and have you chilled yet?

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep chilled now!.
Thank you both for your help and advice.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having reread some posts on recent threads, I am considering intermittent fasting as an option to eating regularly the small meals we need to keep eating once us non T2 RH ers need to do.
My thinking is. If our blood glucose levels don't go above normal then fasting should do no harm to how we eat during the day!
@Brunneria does this make sense?
Like you say if I don't feel like eating, why should I?
I think I might try this! What do you think?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. I only go too low if i go too high first. So long as i stay steady i can run for ever... ;)

Reactions: lindisfel

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yup. I only go too low if i go too high first. So long as i stay steady i can run for ever... ;)
Might try it soon, just as a guinea pig trial, maybe cut back even more on my food bill:rolleyes:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Hodge, yes, you need to keep tabs on your blood glucose sotesting is important. Metformin not reckoned be good with RH. Hi Nosher and Brun, tried missing breakfasts but no good for me I have post prandial hypotension and my bp crashed after lunch to 101/53. Small meals for me. Fasting BG two days ago was 5.0. atb Derek

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Hodge, yes, you need to keep tabs on your blood glucose sotesting is important. Metformin not reckoned be good with RH. Hi Nosher and Brun, tried missing breakfasts but no good for me I have post prandial hypotension and my bp crashed after lunch to 101/53. Small meals for me. Fasting BG two days ago was 5.0. atb Derek

I'm gonna have a try just to see what happens.
Good fasting bg. Mine this morning was 4.3!
I think metformin is being used to protect the organs. But my doctor took me off them straight away and my endocrinologist hasn't suggested anything. Think Hodge s' doctor doesn't grasp RH and consequences.
Nice to hear from you Derek!
Keep well!

Reactions: lindisfel

rehab1171

I tried IF when I was low carb/keto, and although my stomack is more sensitive to carbs in the morning I kind of couldn't keep IF cause of low energy and constantly low BG ( can't remember now) but no hypos. I prefer eat till full then eat again when hungry.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I tried IF when I was low carb/keto, and although my stomack is more sensitive to carbs in the morning I kind of couldn't keep IF cause of low energy and constantly low BG ( can't remember now) but no hypos. I prefer eat till full then eat again when hungry.
I only eat when I want to!
Not because of designated meal times. I only eat now between mid afternoon/early e evening. Which suits me now. That doesn't mean I can't change it!
we have been trained since very young to overeat by having three full plates and snacks, if not more!
It is too much!!
Reducing your dependency on having too much on low carb or keto will help reduce the number of hormonal response you need. That will reduce the amount of insulin circulating or the need when you don't need the excess insulin.
we came up with a simple saying to help, especially if the understanding of how the science works in your body!

No hyper, no trigger, no hypos.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: filly