Newly diagnosed Type1..pls help

Jurga66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son was rushed to hospital on sunday ,he was in a critical condition in an intensive care doctors told me he's got type 1 diabetes,we r still in hospital and still in schock i've cried out all my tears out,his daddy says he dont want to be alive at all..i dont know how to cope with it as at the moment i think our life is broken ,just need to talk yo someone ,does anyone had the same feelings ? Thank u

KathyGardiner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly I'm sorry to hear about your son and I hope he recovers.
Being diabetic is not the end of the world I understand it's a scary time and you feel like you can't cope. But with the right steps nothing in yours or your sons life has to change.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jurga66 I hope your son is improving.

Type 1 diabetes is a big shock when you're diagnosed, and it does take a little time to get used to it. But it can be controlled :) Look at the Type 1 section here and you'll see lots and lots of Type 1s getting on with their lives and enjoying them :)

Give yourself time to get over the shock, ask as many questions as you can - and know that diabetes is a condition that can be controlled :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Jurga66

I'm so sorry to hear about your son and hope he makes a full recovery, understandably you are all broken as it's every parents worst nightmare having a child rushed into hospital and placed in intensive care, but please don't despair about his type 1 diagnosis as people can lead a full & active life with the condition (as many of us have).

Take care and best wishes, please keep us updated on his progress.

Reactions: lizdeluz and azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It is always a shock when a young child unknowingly walks into T1 - my nephew aged 21 went thru the same shock but at least he was older. There is stacks of support on the forums here so when things settle and you need guidance on insulin use and any other aspects then do ask anything. Hopefully your local diabetes clinic and/or surgery will be supportive in the coming months.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank u ladies,it's going to be a week soon and he's still got very high sugar level,hope he will get better soon and we will be able to go home soon x

Sometimes it can be better to gradually reduce levels. If you're concerned about his levels, just ask. I remember my insulin being changed constantly when I was diagnosed.

How old is your son? There are a number of parents here who have children with Type 1 and a Parents section.

Please ask any questions you want. Knowledge is power. The more you learn, the easier diabetes is to deal with.

Ruthsmeth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The shock of being told your child has t1d is huge.

The impact it has on you as a parent can be more far reaching than you realise.

Please be patient with yourself as you learn not only how to deal with all the ins and outs of managing his condition but also dealing with your immense grief and guilt. (Parents - especially mothers just do this).

It is NOT your fault - it is an autoimmune condition that cannot be predicted.

It takes a good year for the shock and grief to subside and your resilience and knowledge to grow.

Whatever you do - do not stick your head in the sand and ignore your feelings, your instinct and your questions about it all.

The diabetes team at your local nhs should be able to provide you with a lot of info, support in how best to adapt back to everyday life while managing your child's diabetes and also any counselling or further tests that might be required

Ask
Lots of questions and if you can't think of any - ask them what questions you should be asking !!!

Whether you realise it or not yet
There are other families in your area dealing with t1d and all at different stages of diagnosis.

Go onto the diabetes uk website and look for local support groups. Not only for your sake but also for your son to realise there are
Other kids dealing with t1d and managing it.

If you can, get your extended family clued up and involved so you can get some respite when possible.

There is a fair bit to learn - but just do a bit at a time.

If you can cope with having and raising a child you can cope with this. It is much like the feeling of when you have your first baby and you suddenly realise that no one ever told you how hard it would be, but you just kinda get on with it.
In this case there are just less people who can relate to what you are getting on with dealing with t1d 24/7.

Please please please be kind to yourself.
Hug your son a lot and reduce stress for him and you as this is beneficial for any autoimmune condition.
And learn all you can about managing diabetes so that you feel as in control as you can when it comes to the bumpy ride that it can turn out to be sometimes.

(I have a nearly 13 yr old daughter you was diagnosed at 10. She is a competitive swimmer and got a scholarship to a prestigious girls school last year.... ) Anything is possible - even with t1. Your son is still the same person - he is just managing a condition that needs daily juggling. Kids are
More Resilient than you think. I think parents deal with more grief and stress around this than the child does. Because we understand the consequences of not managing the condition.

You can do this.
Many people have
Talk to lots of people - you are not alone!!!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My little one is 8 years old ,it would be nice to get in touch with the parents ,to find out how their r coping,as i dont have any support from my husband,he's more emotional than me

Keep checking back or have a read through of some of the threads in the Parents section when you have time.

I'll tag @mahola for,you as she has a child who has been diagnosed fairly recently - along with herself!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son was rushed to hospital on sunday ,he was in a critical condition in an intensive care doctors told me he's got type 1 diabetes,we r still in hospital and still in schock i've cried out all my tears out,his daddy says he dont want to be alive at all..i dont know how to cope with it as at the moment i think our life is broken ,just need to talk yo someone ,does anyone had the same feelings ? Thank u

Hi, I am sorry to read of your son's diagnosis and your worries and concerns, it can be scary. My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years and in a critical condition on the HDU, mum and dad coped okay with it, but I was a wreck, constantly crying. She has just celebrated her 8th birthday and is enjoying life and doing everything that all the other children do.
It is hard to understand, accept and to cope with at first, but in time, things will get clearer and easier for all of you, diabetes will be just a small part of who he is and having diabetes shouldn't stop him from doing anything he wants to do. Kids are tough little cookies and the forum can offer support, help and a shoulder too.
Take care, good luck and all the best,
RRB x:)

Reactions: azure and lizdeluz

Jurga66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,everyone,hope u r all well! We r back home finally :) but he's glucose levels goes from 15 to 3,7 and opposite,i dont know what am i doing wrong? Does anyone had the same situation on the begining of the diagnosis? Thank u

JoeCo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,everyone,hope u r all well! We r back home finally :) but he's glucose levels goes from 15 to 3,7 and opposite,i dont know what am i doing wrong? Does anyone had the same situation on the begining of the diagnosis? Thank u

Hello! I am currently about 1 1/2 months into my type 1 diagnosis. I had exactly the same experience as your son did. I don't think you or your son are doing anything wrong, you'll just have to be patient, it's a learning experience. Right now I'm still having trouble with hypos, but most of the time my numbers are now under 8, I've already got the gist of carb counting, I'm used to the insulin now and life is returning to normal. For me it was a combination of achieving the right basal dosage and implementing carb counting that helped my numbers come down. So I would encourage you to start reading as much as you can, all about type 1, carb counting, insulin, everything. But don't expect perfect control yet. For now your son needs to find the right insulin dosages. The diabetes team will guide him through this.

Just make sure you are there to support your son. It might get really tough. The first 2 weeks were the hardest for me, that's when I got really upset and also angry sometimes. But I got through that phase with the help of supportive friends and family. That's the most important thing at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation

my wife had the same feeling's when i was in hospital with DKA,I even had a little cry feeling sorry for myself but in my experience things will get alot easier and you ll come to terms that diabetes is far from the end of the world so wish you all the best for the future :)

Grzegorz_Gd

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, hoped he is getting better right now when home. I had exactly the same shock when was diagnosed two months ago with type 1 (for now still not sure if it's type 1) and instead of partying at my cousin wedding I went to hospital in quite critical condition next day. Give him as much support as possible it really helps in all ups and downs which are reallly common at the beginning. I'm really sorry for what happened but as fast he can adopt to new conditions it's better. Remember there are much more worser things he could get so take care and much hugs.