When is a fast not a fast?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please indulge me, because I’m a bit out of the loop on fasting. It’s not something I have ever fancied for myself and it became popular a while after my bloods and other stats came into a good place.

In my mind, I envisage a one day fast as being a 24 cycle with the fasting person only taking on board water and/or black tea or coffee. Similarly, a 3 day fast would be a 72 hour span with the fasting person only taking on board water and/or black tea or coffee.

However, on these boards I see some pretty different definitions, so I’m trying to decide if these count as fasts or if they are specific periods of very structured eating. One of the posts that sort of inspired this thread was something @bulkbiker posted yesterday where he described his fasting routine being broadly as I would describe as a fast, but with the addition of a Bulletproof Coffee, made with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, added to a string coffee latte, made from crean and water. My curiosity was peaked sufficiently to put the bulletproof coffee into MyFitnessPal and returned a calorific count of around 1000, assuming double cream was utilised. Of course, it contains hardly any carbs.

This post isn’t any slight on bulkbiker or anyone else, it's just bulkbiker's specific detail pricked my curiosity. I’m just trying to understand what we each consider to be a fast. I have no issue with whatever anyone chooses to eat or drink. It’s their choice, as is my way of eating my choice. It could be helpful to anyone new considering giving it a go though?

I genuinely look forward to the feedback and fast-track education.

Reactions: Serena51
S

Shar67

I would say if you are only drinking fluids then you are fasting, if the fluids are giving you a % of daily calories but are not replacements meals then it is still a fast.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is a widespread (global) expression to name it a fast when people do the 16/8 fast or the 5/2 fast, the first 16/8 is only daily hours of fasting ( 16 hours) and the 5/2 is 5 days of not fasting and only 2 days of fasting though having foods of about 500calories a day.....
so fasting means very different things it seems

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I fast I have only water and clear liquid during the fasting period. That would be coffee, (without milk) , peppermint tea, or Marmite. I would only include Marmite for a fast period of more than 16 hours.

I wonder was @bulkbiker doing a 'fat fast'. These have been mentioned, before, but I don't fully understand the logic.

Of course there is a difference between 'absolute' fast, where no food is consumed for a period of time, and partial fasting, when selected foods are excluded.

Reactions: ickihun and Salvia

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In short. I would say the "definition" of a "fast" would be to abstain from a daily intake of any form of carb or protein, with only water (of course.) for rehydration..?

I tip my hat to anyone who achieves this, wheather for weightloss or religious reasons..

Reactions: Salvia

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have never tried fasting days, I love my food too much to try it
I would say a fasting day is where you would just drink water

Reactions: Salvia and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In short. I would say the "definition" of a "fast" would be to abstain from a daily intake of any form of carb or protein, with only water (of course.) for rehydration..?

I tip my hat to anyone who achieves this, wheather for weightloss or religious reasons..
If I fast beyond 16 hours, which is so seldom it is practically never, the inclusion of Marmite is to replace salt. Prevents cramp.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I have never counted calories I have no idea how many calories my BPC has -all I know is that it keeps me satiated for a day. As it is almost all fat or water then it has minimal (no) effect on my blood sugars. My 7 day "fast" was to see how quickly I could place my body into fairly deep nutritional ketosis ( a ketone level of more than 1.5 mmol/l) in this case it was on day 3.
Over the 7 day period I lost 8 pounds in weight had my lowest ever blood glucose reading of 3.8 mmol/l (on my SD Codefree) and felt great. I ate no food so in some definitions it was a fast. Also I did have a half teaspoon of salt in a glass of water daily and tea with lactofree milk the rest of the time. I think we are all getting a bit too tied up with specific language. Did I have a hypo for example? I felt a tiny bit off so had some more salt and water.. Is it even possible for a person on no medication to have a hypo? I don't know.

Reactions: jonbvn and Salvia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I fast I have only water and clear liquid during the fasting period. That would be coffee, (without milk) , peppermint tea, or Marmite. I would only include Marmite for a fast period of more than 16 hours.

I wonder was @bulkbiker doing a 'fat fast'. These have been mentioned, before, but I don't fully understand the logic.

Of course there is a difference between 'absolute' fast, where no food is consumed for a period of time, and partial fasting, when selected foods are excluded.

Hi Pipp
I guess it is a fat fast ..as I said above my main aim was to achieve nutritional ketosis which I did on day three mainly to kick start my stalled weight loss and also to see if I could do it! I have managed 5 days in the past (again fortified by creamy coffee although the coconut oil is a new addition). I was surprised how "easy" it was especially with the BPC.
The aim of a fat fast is to get into ketosis as quickly as possible as far as my reading tells me and it seems to have worked. I also stopped using soya milk in my tea as a number of people on the 2ketodudes Facebook pages advised me that this was not helping my ketogenic diet.

Reactions: ickihun

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you have described this as a fat fast, @bulkbiker?

Impressive result, I am intrigued by your method.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @bulkbiker my previous post was being written before I saw your reply.

I don't dare to use coconut oil as a fasting ingredient. I would cheerfully eat a whole jar in a single sitting. It is truly delicious. I would mix it with peanut butter too.

Great that you have found something that works.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Throughout history and across the world, there have been so many different interpretations of Fasting that it beggars belief.
Water fasts
Bread and water
Fat fasts
Clear liquid
Warrior Fasts
Religious Fasts
Fruit fasts
Fruit and veg, no meat or fish
16/8 (basically skipping breakfast)
5/2 (500 cals twice a week, normal eating the rest of the time
I could go on... And on... And on...
;)

I don't actually care what people do, but it would help tremendously if people explained what they meant.

When the word 'fasting' covers all of the above, i need a signpost or two. :)

By the way, @Pipp my understanding of the Fat Fast thought process is that
- calories don't necessarily matter
- fat stops hunger and cravings
- fat does not stimulate insulin, allowing insulin resistance to fall
- fat encourages ketosis

Personally, i am enjoying a period of Weekday Intermittent Warrior Fat Fasts (fat bombs to prevent hunger, where necessary, with a single evening meal every 24 hrs).
Next week will probably be different.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pipp
I guess it is a fat fast ..as I said above my main aim was to achieve nutritional ketosis which I did on day three mainly to kick start my stalled weight loss and also to see if I could do it! I have managed 5 days in the past (again fortified by creamy coffee although the coconut oil is a new addition). I was surprised how "easy" it was especially with the BPC.
The aim of a fat fast is to get into ketosis as quickly as possible as far as my reading tells me and it seems to have worked. I also stopped using soya milk in my tea as a number of people on the 2ketodudes Facebook pages advised me that this was not helping my ketogenic diet.

As I tried to express, I wasn't trying to challenge the validity of your fast; how could I, but I was more curious for information (I'm always curious), but also keen to hear others' views, hoping this thread may help any new folks considering giving fasting a go that there are many interpretations of the term.

I'd be interested to hear what effect your 7-day fast has on your weight over the next few weeks, as there could be an element of simply "less on board", compared to when whole food is being consumed. I'm wondering if you will actually regain some of that loss as your digestive system starts filling up again.

Apologies of that last bit's a bit indelicate for anyone.

Reactions: Serena51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Brunneria

In no means a criticism of anyone, or any method. Like @AndBreathe I am curious as to the definition of 'fast'.
I understand it to be abstinence from all foods. So in my narrow definition a fat fast would mean abstaining from eating fat. Bear with me, and consider this, as it does appear to be an oxymoron and could confuse others too.
@bulkbiker doesn't regard fat as food. Whereas I would. The most delicious food. Guess I am just green with envy of those who are able to use fat as a me hanism for weightloss and BG control.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I tried to express, I wasn't trying to challenge the validity of your fast; how could I, but I was more curious for information (I'm always curious), but also keen to hear others' views, hoping this thread may help any new folks considering giving fasting a go that there are many interpretations of the term.

I'd be interested to hear what effect your 7-day fast has on your weight over the next few weeks, as there could be an element of simply "less on board", compared to when whole food is being consumed. I'm wondering if you will actually regain some of that loss as your digestive system starts filling up again.

Apologies of that last bit's a bit indelicate for anyone.

No problem here as that is hopefully why we are all here to learn what others do and see if it may help us as well. I'm all for debate.
Had a takeaway curry last night but still lost a little weight overnight.. although that may have something to do with some extra ballast being removed from my, as you so delicately said, digestive system this morning... three times!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria

In no means a criticism of anyone, or any method. Like @AndBreathe I am curious as to the definition of 'fast'.
I understand it to be abstinence from all foods. So in my narrow definition a fat fast would mean abstaining from eating fat. Bear with me, and consider this, as it does appear to be an oxymoron and could confuse others too.
@bulkbiker doesn't regard fat as food. Whereas I would. The most delicious food. Guess I am just green with envy of those who are able to use fat as a me hanism for weightloss and BG control.

Hi Pipp again
I think that in Keto world a "fat fast" is when you only consume fat and a "water fast" is when you only have water.
At least I certainly hope that's what they mean......!

Reactions: Pipp

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that there are many different definitions of Fast, and many posters use the word to describe different regimes.

However, in the main I think those undertaking fasts, like @bulkbiker are very open about what they are doing, and how they are achieving their goals.

When I see the word "fast" on these forums I read it as meaning someone is trying to take a positive step to deal with their disease.

And anyone prepared to go to the lengths of drinking that disgusting sounding coffee deserves props

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'm of the @bulkbiker school of practice. No food, lots of drinks (hit/cold) but no milk, salt to cover depletion, daily supplements.

Does the trick for me and without doubt sorts out the glycogen in my liver and enhances my BG sensitivity:)

Reactions: bulkbiker

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tend to think of fasting in the religious context as I have fasted over Lent before. For me that means not eating until sunset. A stricter fast would mean not drinking too, but I do drink coffee, tea or water during the day. I think it must be much harder for those who abstain from anything to drink during daylight hours.
Also 'sunset' means something different here than in places closer to the Equator, where sunset is around 7pm. I usually fast until 7pm.