Weight gain with a pump?

tara18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started on the animas vibe pump back in May and have put loads of weight on since then. Has anyone else had this problem?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can't say that I have. It's unlikely to be the pump's fault. I've changed the name of the topic so that people understand the point, but my question to you is whether you have been having many hypos and having to treat them?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I started on the animas vibe pump back in May and have put loads of weight on since then. Has anyone else had this problem?
No pump makes you put on weight, normal suspects are lack of discipline regarding the amount being eaten just because you can push a button, hypos due to problems sorting out your correct pump settings, change in routine (lack of exercise) also worth asking for a thyroid check if this hasn't already been done.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @tara18 :)

I'm on the Vibe and have been pumping for 12 years. I lost a few pounds when I first got a pump, and I haven't put any weight on.

A few questions:

Were you underweight to start with, eg because of high sugars?
How are your sugars on the pump? (Are you having to treat hypos)
Have you changed your diet at all since starting it?

If you've only just started the pump, it could just take a little while for your weight to settle, like after diagnosis.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i put a stone on but my control was bad pre pump. i lost it after a few months. as mentioned above by tim, i had lots of hypos so kept eating extra til i had sorted my settings.

tara18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My control wasn't spot on before, but it's getting better now. I used to have quite a few hypos before the pump but they seem to be settling a bit now.
I haven't changed my diet or anything since going on the pump

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My control wasn't spot on before, but it's getting better now. I used to have quite a few hypos before the pump but they seem to be settling a bit now.
I haven't changed my diet or anything since going on the pump

Improving your control is excellent :) Personally, I would wait until you get your pump basal and ratios, etc, pretty much sorted and then maybe see if your weight settles after that. Getting that firm base of good control and correct insulin will allow you to make more informed judgements on whether your diet needs any tweaks. You may find your weight finds its right place without you having to do anything.

Reactions: noblehead