1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight gain with a pump?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by tara18, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tara18

tara18 Type 1 · Member

I started on the animas vibe pump back in May and have put loads of weight on since then. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Can't say that I have. It's unlikely to be the pump's fault. I've changed the name of the topic so that people understand the point, but my question to you is whether you have been having many hypos and having to treat them?

3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No pump makes you put on weight, normal suspects are lack of discipline regarding the amount being eaten just because you can push a button, hypos due to problems sorting out your correct pump settings, change in routine (lack of exercise) also worth asking for a thyroid check if this hasn't already been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've lost weight since being on a pump.

5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi @tara18 :)

I'm on the Vibe and have been pumping for 12 years. I lost a few pounds when I first got a pump, and I haven't put any weight on.

A few questions:

Were you underweight to start with, eg because of high sugars?
    How are your sugars on the pump? (Are you having to treat hypos)
    Have you changed your diet at all since starting it?

If you've only just started the pump, it could just take a little while for your weight to settle, like after diagnosis.

6. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i put a stone on but my control was bad pre pump. i lost it after a few months. as mentioned above by tim, i had lots of hypos so kept eating extra til i had sorted my settings.

7. tara18

tara18 Type 1 · Member

My control wasn't spot on before, but it's getting better now. I used to have quite a few hypos before the pump but they seem to be settling a bit now.
    I haven't changed my diet or anything since going on the pump

8. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Improving your control is excellent :) Personally, I would wait until you get your pump basal and ratios, etc, pretty much sorted and then maybe see if your weight settles after that. Getting that firm base of good control and correct insulin will allow you to make more informed judgements on whether your diet needs any tweaks. You may find your weight finds its right place without you having to do anything.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook