Who would have believed this was possible?

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the answer to that is all you good people on here who have been there and done it! Just come back from the doctors and blood tests taken after 19 weeks lchf are completely different. My doctor was completely at a loss for words that I have been able to get hab1c from 6.5% to 4.9% in this time. He was asking all sorts of questions like what am I eating etc. Parting words were I am off all blood pressure medication and metformin now, to keep doing what I have been doing and to come back for a revision in 4 months when if things are still doing the same he will then just need to see me annually! Not stopped smiling since and must have looked a bit of a mad woman in the supermarket! I am just so happy but I know I have to stick with this as still got weight to lose. Incidentally I have lost 20kgs in 21 weeks. Thank you to everyone here for all of your posts, the help and motivation have been immense, to those of you who have given advice and pointed me in the right direction I cannot thank you enough. To those newbies on here take heart, get with this way of life and don't look back!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the answer to that is all you good people on here who have been there and done it! Just come back from the doctors and blood tests taken after 19 weeks lchf are completely different. My doctor was completely at a loss for words that I have been able to get hab1c from 6.5% to 4.9% in this time. He was asking all sorts of questions like what am I eating etc. Parting words were I am off all blood pressure medication and metformin now, to keep doing what I have been doing and to come back for a revision in 4 months when if things are still doing the same he will then just need to see me annually! Not stopped smiling since and must have looked a bit of a mad woman in the supermarket! I am just so happy but I know I have to stick with this as still got weight to lose. Incidentally I have lost 20kgs in 21 weeks. Thank you to everyone here for all of your posts, the help and motivation have been immense, to those of you who have given advice and pointed me in the right direction I cannot thank you enough. To those newbies on here take heart, get with this way of life and don't look back!

'wow thats fantastic... also your weight loss ... can you tell how many calories you are on ?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
'wow thats fantastic... also your weight loss ... can you tell how many calories you are on ?
Low carb, healthy fat isn't really about counting calories, its about counting carbs. That's not to say go overboard. But eating fat keeps you full. besides its much easier to count carbs than cals.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all I'm still on cloud 9. Free a as Dawnmc just posted I have not been counting calories (have tried that many times in the past and failed miserably). I have been eating probably around 30gms of carbs a day mostly from fruit and veg and the occasional half a lidl's protein roll etc the rest of my food has just been as carb free as possible. Loads of green veg, any meat like beef, chicken, lamb, pork or any kind of fish, mayo with most lunches and dinners. Use olive oil to cook, double cream in coffee, Brazil,almonds, walnuts etc as a snack if needed. Basically just the typical low carb high fat food that most people here follow. The main thing with this way of eating is, in my case, that I have lost my desire for very sweet things and I have never been hungry. I had nothing to lose trying this and there are so many people on the forum who have done so well and I still cannot believe my results.

Reactions: Prem51 and coby

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria I think commitment has been the difficult bit. I have just tried to keep focused and I would just read the posts here to try and strengthen my resolve as you can imagine there were a few moments of weakness along the way. My resolve was to stick with it for 5 months and see what the results were and re-evaluate. No re-evaluation needed as I will carry on going. I have not felt this well in a long time!

Reactions: Prem51 and Ruth26

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all I'm still on cloud 9. Free a as Dawnmc just posted I have not been counting calories (have tried that many times in the past and failed miserably). I have been eating probably around 30gms of carbs a day mostly from fruit and veg and the occasional half a lidl's protein roll etc the rest of my food has just been as carb free as possible. Loads of green veg, any meat like beef, chicken, lamb, pork or any kind of fish, mayo with most lunches and dinners. Use olive oil to cook, double cream in coffee, Brazil,almonds, walnuts etc as a snack if needed. Basically just the typical low carb high fat food that most people here follow. The main thing with this way of eating is, in my case, that I have lost my desire for very sweet things and I have never been hungry. I had nothing to lose trying this and there are so many people on the forum who have done so well and I still cannot believe my results.

that sounds wonderfully easy ... but do you also count the carbs in green salat and tomatoes and cucumbers and alike..?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
that sounds wonderfully easy ... but do you also count the carbs in green salat and tomatoes and cucumbers and alike..?
If you look or join fatsecret you can put in what you ate and the carbs come up, its a very good site.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema, The carbs & cals book, this forum and the dietdoctor website have been my go tos for information. Yes, I carb counted everything to begin with and then checked with a meter how My blood glucose reacted to that meal. I tested before meals and then 2 hrs later. Once I had the same meal a few times with the same results I would not test that meal again.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema, The carbs & cals book, this forum and the dietdoctor website have been my go tos for information. Yes, I carb counted everything to begin with and then checked with a meter how My blood glucose reacted to that meal. I tested before meals and then 2 hrs later. Once I had the same meal a few times with the same results I would not test that meal again.

thats a good strategy , thanks a lot

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PoppyPetal, just wanted to add my congratulations on your success; you deserve it after all your hard work.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another positive, hopeful, inspirational post. Well done you!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations
Hopefully my doctor is going to be similarly amazed when I go back to him at the end of Nov. He wanted to give me drugs in August. I told him I would consider it in November depending on where I had got to. If I manage not to do any backsliding between now and then, I'm guessing I will be getting the same questions!

Reactions: kokhongw

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
PoppyPetal ... I did the same as you ... tested a meal the same way and thought it was okay UNTIL someone suggested testing after ONE hour as well as two. I then found that I spiked high at one hour and hadn't had a clue this was happening. I'm back down by just under the two hours so just thought the foods were fine to have but I was wrong.

Reactions: Prem51

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Very well done! You have every right to feel proud