One for the science of fasting geeks :-)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rhonda Patrick's latest interview - with researcher Valter Longo on fasting-mimicking diet and fasting for longevity, cancer and multiple sclerosis:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fantastic video.
Bursting with gems!
I love so much of it there is too much to list.

I would love some more info on what he thinks is the best thing for 'refeeding' after fasting.

Interesting that he thinks the perfect diet is
-fasting 12 hours or more a day
-pescatarian vegan (presumably plant-based, no dairy, and the only animal product is fish but I kinda think 'pescatarian vegan' is an absurd oxymoron!)
-good fats
(fasting mimetic diet, in line with ketosis, but eating enough to avoid going underweight)

And WOW! the evidence on one week of fasting mimetic diet, plus 6 months of (a REAL) Mediterranean Diet having such a profound effect on cancer and multiple schlerosis and Crohns. Wow. wow. wow.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think real fasting would be easier - not to mention cheaper :rolleyes:

Hotpepper20000

Rhonda Patrick's latest interview - with researcher Valter Longo on fasting-mimicking diet and fasting for longevity, cancer and multiple sclerosis:

Thank you for posting!!!This is very is interesting. I will be watching this more then once.
I know with out fasting there is no way I would have been as successful as I have been.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another good resource for the science geeks - a new blog and podcast called Break Nutrition.

Break Nutrition: http://breaknutrition.com/podcasts/

In the first podcast there is an indepth discussion of a new research paper on the role of gluconeogenesis etc in Type 2: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25662011

One of the two speakers (Gabor) is the person that Ivor Cummins has been collaborating with on his understanding of insulin resistance as covered in his last few Youtube videos.

List of their podcasts and subjects so far:

Episode 1 – Linking dysregulated adipocyte fat flow to diabetes
Episode 2 – trafficking fatty acids properly to avoid ectopic fat deposition
Episode 3 – Affecting fat loss in rodents by caloric restriction, knocking out insulin genes and seeing how incretin hormones play into it
Episode 4 – the rate at which sugar is absorbed by the gastro intestinal system affects obesity, diabetes and metabolic health
Episode 5 – how enlarged adipocytes overloaded with lipids lead to insulin resistance
Episode 6 – why bariatric surgery improves metabolic parameters quickly
Episode 7 – How processed starches affect metabolic responses

Have downloaded them all - now all I've got to do is find the time to listen to them.

Reactions: Brunneria

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
The reporter's headaches were probably due to switching into ketosis (although I suspect FMD is on the low end for keto-friendly fat content levels), which is normal and would happen when anyone on a typical western carb-fueled diet replaces it with a fat-based one, of any calorie level. There are ways around this, but over time your body becomes keto-adapted and headaches stop.

I also don't really see the point of her wondering about the weight loss, that's not the primary purpose of IF / FMD. Of course if it helps promote lean muscle mass that's handy too, but for most people, I highly doubt that water fasting would be "easier to swallow", so to speak.

I just spoke FMD this evening at a pub with a friend of mine and his wife, and even the idea of only eating two avocados a day for an entire work-week made her recoil in horror. It really sounds a lot worse than it is, until you've tried it. And especially for people who are unaware of ketogenic diets. People think they will collapse without all that sugar in their system but this is merely brainwashing from the breakfast cereal industry. You definitely feel more full on this diet, or anything with high fat content.

Looking forward to trying Prolon one day. Maybe it is indeed harder to get by on than two avocados a day.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding to my previous post about Break Nutrition, some more podcasts have been added that are well-worth listening to. http://breaknutrition.com/podcasts/:

Episode 8 – starch digestibility and limitations of the glycemic response
Episode 9 – Amy Berger’s new book “The Alzheimer’s Antidote”, gluconeogenesis and exogenous ketones
Episode 10 – Medical uses of ketogenic and low carb diets with Ellen Davis
Episode 11 – Obesity: a bird’s eye view
Episode 12 – Decoding Cholesterol with Dave Feldman

The interview with Ellen Davis (Masters in Nutrition), author and owner of the website Ketogenic-Diet-Resource.com was especially interesting - she covers quite a lot about the diet for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and has co-authored books for each Type with Dr Keith Runyan who is himself a LADA who manages his diabetes with a ketogenic diet. She is a woman of a "certain age" and talks about her own struggles with insulin resistance:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another podcast that the health geeks might find interesting - Dr Peter Attia has started a podcast at his site:

https://peterattiamd.com/podcast/

First three podcasts posted so far are:

(EP.01) Tim Ferriss: depression, psychedelics, and emotional resilience
(EP.02) Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D.: the performance and longevity paradox of IGF-1, ketogenic diets and genetics, the health benefits of sauna, NAD+, and more
(EP.03) Ron Krauss, M.D.: a deep dive into heart disease - Ron Krauss is probably the most influential researcher on the subject - this one may be of interest to @Oldvatr and others posting on the thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dr-malcom-kendrick-on-saturated-fat.153380/

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the article the researchers tested it on mice and yeast. I wonder how you notice "slow down ageing, increase longevity, boost the immune system, and cut the risk of heart disease and cancer" in yeast?

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
“Pescatarian vegan” :wideyed:

Although having said that, the only animal product I ate for a long time was fish, until we worked out exactly which ones I was allergic to...