Type 1: How many times do you have to test your blood sugar

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
How many times do you have to test your blood sugar please because I was told to do it four times to start with and now I have to do it twice a day

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many times do you have to test your blood sugar please because I was told to do it four times to start with and now I have to do it twice a day

I test my blood sugar between 7 and 12 times a day very roughly. I like and need to know what my blood sugar is doing so that I can live my life - checking carb counts are ok, taking exercise, driving, doing correction doses, etc, etc.

If you're concerned about how often you should be testing, or what you should be doing with the results of those blood tests, speak to your DSN for advice :)

Reactions: Freema

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I test my blood sugar between 7 and 12 times a day very roughly. I like and need to know what my blood sugar is doing so that I can live my life - checking carb counts are ok, taking exercise, driving, doing correction doses, etc, etc.

If you're concerned about how often you should be testing, or what you should be doing with the results of those blood tests, speak to your DSN for advice :)
But when I go to work I drive so I have to test it then

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Julia McCoulough - the NICE recommendation is that blood glucose levels are tested between 4 and 10 times a day and those that have the best level of blood glucose management typically test 8-10 times per day (as per the evidence in the NICE guideline for Type 1). Your GP should be providing you enough strips to do this.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Julia McCoulough - the NICE recommendation is that blood glucose levels are tested between 4 and 10 times a day and those that have the best level of blood glucose management typically test 8-10 times per day (as per the evidence in the NICE guideline for Type 1). Your GP should be providing you enough strips to do this.
But I was told to do it twice a day or if I drive then I do it more

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My GP's hate me as I go through 200 test strips a month but it's cheaper than me ending up in hospital!

I'm testing prob between 7-10 a day. They make me feel like it's not normal but I'd prefer to know what's going on!

My diabetic nurse is fabulous though!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But I was told to do it twice a day or if I drive then I do it more
By whom? The average number of tests per day in the UK population is about 2, because a huge swathe of the type 1 population tests less frequently than once per day. This doesn't mean that it's right.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
My GP's hate me as I go through 200 test strips a month but it's cheaper than me ending up in hospital!

I'm testing prob between 7-10 a day. They make me feel like it's not normal but I'd prefer to know what's going on!

My diabetic nurse is fabulous though!
Yes but I was told to do it twice a day but when I drive I have to do it more

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your diabetes nurse sounds like an idiot. Sorry, not going to mince my works because it's not her life on the line is it?

Unless you're using CGM you should be testing at least

- Before every rapid insulin injection
- If you feel hypo
- If you feel high
- Before and every 2 hours when driving
- Before, possibly during and after exercise
- More frequently if you're ill or in unusual circumstances such as travelling, high stress, hot weather

Before I got my Libre I tested 8-10 times a day. Once I got my Libre I was shocked at how much information I was missing just testing 8-10 times a day. Testing twice a day is useless. You'll have no data to make any informed decisions about your care.

Reactions: clarehayward

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I personally test between 10 & 12 times a day,because I like to know where my BS are,therefore I have control of my diabetes.I must of being doing something right as I been T1 for almost 55 years,with only a couple very minor complications.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Julia McCoulough Your Diabetes Nurse is reciting the way it used to work in the 80's with visual test strips and twice daily insulin. We have since gone through a number of studies that have identified that more monitoring produces much better glucose levels.

As @1abRat says, your diabetes nurse is acting in an irresponsible and stupid manner.

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I test between 10-12 times a day as I like to know what's going on with my BS. As for your "diabetic nurse" is she an actual DSN or the practice nurse that in my experience is there to check your feet, blood pressure and treat you like all the Type 2's she sees daily! o_O

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I jokingly tell people that test about 293 times a day. The disclaimer is that 288 of those tests are done automatically by my Dexcom CGM. In addition, I manually (finger prick) test about 5-7 times a day.

With that said, on the days I take a break from my CGM, I find myself testing 10-12 times a day.
-Waking
-Before meals (3-4)
-After meals (3-4)
-Before bedtime
-I might test an additional 2-4 times for things like exercise, if I feel funny and my dexcom might be off, or if I had to give myself a correction injection.

That quickly becomes 10-14 test a day, yet I'd consider them crucial times to know when you need to know your blood sugar levels.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Julia McCoulough

Knowledge is power with managing type 1, so the more you test the more you can act on the readings. How do you know how much insulin to take before meals if you don't know what your blood glucose levels are, how do you correct if you are running high ?

I personally test up to 10 times a day, so:

-Waking
-Before meals
- Before driving
-Before exercise or at an adverse event, i.e. hypo and then continuously until levels are raised again so up to 3 times.
-Before bed.

Testing gives me confidence that I am ok. Testing is essential for good management and it's your health at stake here, so I cannot even comprehend why your DSN told you this. Time to change ?

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the time!! Sorry to just repeat what others have said but I always like to know what it's doing, esp before and after food, exercise, important work meetings etc-it varies so much (all the time-there isn't a normal/standard for me) that if in doubt I always check. My fingers May by ruined though.... My doctor recommends 10 as a basis.

I hope you get it sorted soon-you should be allowed as much as you feel necessary

Edited by Mod to remove negative generalisations, as per forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Hi Julia, that's not good advice as everyone has mentioned already, is your diabetes nurse part of your gp practice?

I test on average around 9 times a day on my pump, but even on MDI I was testing at least 6 times a day.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
4 time a day minimum. morning midday early evening and before bed. that's a perfect day.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin regime are you using @Julia McCoulough ? Was this diabetes nurse at your GP practice, or in the hospital clinic?

I test 10- 15 times daily. The higher number of tests when I'm hypo or exercising.

Yesterday I tested:
  1. On waking and to bolus for breakfast
  2. Post breakfast/pre exercise
  3. Post exercise (actual exercise class)
  4. Post exercise (walk to work)
  5. Pre lunch to bolus for lunch
  6. Post lunch - dropping, snack
  7. Checking the snack had worked
  8. Pre exercise (walking home)
  9. Pre dinner to bolus for dinner
  10. Pre bed
Twice a day isn't enough. Are you sure you were told "only test twice a day", it could be that the DSN was trying to give you an achievable minimum. Are you having trouble obtaining enough test strips to test more?

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Minimum 4 times a day. first thing in the morning, Lunch, Tea and before bed. If I am driving I test an hour before. Record all readings on spreadsheet and take to the hospital when I have an appointment with my Diabetic doctor.

Reactions: Katrina5664