Type 1: How many times do you have to test your blood sugar

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A GP at my practice once said, when I told her how much I was testing, 'TWELVE times a day? Well you CAN test that often if you like, but only do it on one day a week.' Hmmmmm. And be completely clueless for the remaining six days?!

That was about the time I stopped taking her advice on my (excellent) diabetes control. I have several more decades of experience and expertise in my own condition and its treatment then she does, because my diabetes is mine.

Now I have a Freestyle Libre for all my 'reassurance' testing in between times, I will do a fingerprick test:
On waking
Before taking any insulin, be it for a meal or a snack
Before driving
If I don't feel 'right'
Before exercising
After exercising
20 mins after a hypo as a matter of course

Absolute minimum 3 times a day, often 10. And on top of this I scan my sensor an average of 16 times a day (down from 88 times a day when I first got the Libre!).

We're all different, but the main thing to remember is that testing is an excellent self-management tool, with the emphasis on self. In the old days when I was diagnosed (1980s) there was no such thing as being able (allowed, in my case!) to tweak doses of insulin according to blood glucose measurements. The numbers that I religiously logged on a daily basis seemed therefore pointless and futile.

These days, having done a DAFNE course and additionally educated myself as much as possible about diabetes management, I can tweak to my heart's content. But I'm only able to do this effectively when - and because - I test often.

:)

Reactions: himtoo

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
The minimum I can get away with is 5 tests per day. I get 6 strips per day on prescription so I save one per day for emergencies. Typically in the week I keep to certain routine and 5 strips is more than enough.

When things are going wrong i.e.illness or infection or laziness or just plain crazy blood sugars, I can test 12 - 15 times per day.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1D receiving testing strips on prescription you should not be restricted to a set number of testing strips by anyone.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Your diabetes nurse sounds like an idiot. Sorry, not going to mince my works because it's not her life on the line is it?

Unless you're using CGM you should be testing at least

- Before every rapid insulin injection
- If you feel hypo
- If you feel high
- Before and every 2 hours when driving
- Before, possibly during and after exercise
- More frequently if you're ill or in unusual circumstances such as travelling, high stress, hot weather

Before I got my Libre I tested 8-10 times a day. Once I got my Libre I was shocked at how much information I was missing just testing 8-10 times a day. Testing twice a day is useless. You'll have no data to make any informed decisions about your care.
You have been very helpful

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
What insulin regime are you using @Julia McCoulough ? Was this diabetes nurse at your GP practice, or in the hospital clinic?

I test 10- 15 times daily. The higher number of tests when I'm hypo or exercising.

Yesterday I tested:
  1. On waking and to bolus for breakfast
  2. Post breakfast/pre exercise
  3. Post exercise (actual exercise class)
  4. Post exercise (walk to work)
  5. Pre lunch to bolus for lunch
  6. Post lunch - dropping, snack
  7. Checking the snack had worked
  8. Pre exercise (walking home)
  9. Pre dinner to bolus for dinner
  10. Pre bed
Twice a day isn't enough. Are you sure you were told "only test twice a day", it could be that the DSN was trying to give you an achievable minimum. Are you having trouble obtaining enough test strips to test more?
Hospital clinic

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
What insulin regime are you using @Julia McCoulough ? Was this diabetes nurse at your GP practice, or in the hospital clinic?

I test 10- 15 times daily. The higher number of tests when I'm hypo or exercising.

Yesterday I tested:
  1. On waking and to bolus for breakfast
  2. Post breakfast/pre exercise
  3. Post exercise (actual exercise class)
  4. Post exercise (walk to work)
  5. Pre lunch to bolus for lunch
  6. Post lunch - dropping, snack
  7. Checking the snack had worked
  8. Pre exercise (walking home)
  9. Pre dinner to bolus for dinner
  10. Pre bed
Twice a day isn't enough. Are you sure you were told "only test twice a day", it could be that the DSN was trying to give you an achievable minimum. Are you having trouble obtaining enough test strips to test more?
I'm using humlin insulin yes I was told

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Julia, that's not good advice as everyone has mentioned already, is your diabetes nurse part of your gp practice?

I test on average around 9 times a day on my pump, but even on MDI I was testing at least 6 times a day.
No the hospital clinic

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
All the time!! Sorry to just repeat what others have said but I always like to know what it's doing, esp before and after food, exercise, important work meetings etc-it varies so much (all the time-there isn't a normal/standard for me) that if in doubt I always check. My fingers May by ruined though....and watching that panorama programme last night about type 2s I struggle to see how the nhs can justify limiting strips-it's not type 1 draining the nhs (sorry rant over!). My doctor recommends 10 as a basis.

I hope you get it sorted soon-you should be allowed as much as you feel necessary
Thank you

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using humlin insulin yes I was told

Is that a mixed insulin, so you are on fixed dishes twice a day rather than MDI?

You keep saying you were told ... It is your diabetes, it is you who decides how to treat it and how often to test. If you are content testing twice a day and when necessary to drive. Great. But if you are making those decisions I would recommend learning a bit more about your diabetes. Think like a pancreas is a great book that covers the basics.

What prompted you to ask the question about how often everyone else tests? Were you unhappy with the advice you had recieved? Did you think you were testing too little, too often?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How many times do you have to test your blood sugar please because I was told to do it four times to start with and now I have to do it twice a day

About 4 to 7/8 times a day, depending on what I am doing and the previous bs, twice a day is not enough Julia.

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
2 or 3 times always high now it's 400 so i took 40 iu from mixtard

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I test my daughter minimum 8 times a day but usually around 14 times, more if we get unexpected readings or she's more active, ill etc

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting as soon as I get up 7-8 am
11-12 ( I tend to rise most after BF)
Before lunch at 3
Before dinner 6:30
Before bed
5 times minimum and then any time I feel wonky.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test as many as I feel I need to. With a minimum being 3 or 4 times each day (which is very rare) and no maximum lol

Typically its on waking,
before and after any time i eat anything,
whenever i exercise (before and after),
whenever i feel 'strange',
whenever I am curious and want to know what my levels are,
before long drives,
before longer meetings at work,
before site visits at work,
after I am unexpectedly physical (usually at work),
and then before bed...

oh, and whenever I feel high or low.. and then like every 15 minutes until I am back into the normal range lol

I do all of these tests while wearing my dexcom lol Which is just there to keep my mind at ease between finger picks. So far this system is working great lol

So the short answer is anywhere between 4 -15 times each day it seems

Banktramp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still on lantus 26 units a day split into 2 injections of 13.

I test on average 8-12 times per day and have only seen my DSN once in the past 6 months.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
10 - 15 times a day I get 250 strips a month

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I'm I it could be because my blood sugar levels were better

But to maintain your improved bg levels you need to test regularly, if you get the chance to speak with your Consultant ask them what they think of your DSN's advice to test only twice a day.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
But to maintain your improved bg levels you need to test regularly, if you get the chance to speak with your Consultant ask them what they think of your DSN's advice to test only twice a day.
Yes I will because I go to the hospital in January so I'll ask then

Reactions: noblehead