what are your thoughts of diet coke and the like ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what do you think and know of the use of diet coke and alike..?

and do you use them as a treat yourself ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my blood presure is normal... ... but mostly drink water, or water with lemon or apple cider vinegar ... or seldom just a cup of coffee...

but sometimes I just choose the diet coke instead of sweets... but read somewhere that this raises insuline.... which of cause i´m not interested in..... and also that diet-fizzy-drinks with artificials sugars also promote diabetes 2..... but is it true or is it just some rumor... ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I drink diet coke and pepsi quite a lot.I also drink coffee and green herbal tea. I do not if I can avoid it drink tap water from around here.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink diet coke and pepsi quite a lot.I also drink coffee and green herbal tea. I do not if I can avoid it drink tap water from around here.

yes many places the tap water taste so bad, in Copenhagen too... but in the rest of Denmark it tastes wonderful... we have som much drinkingwater in the underground here... clean untill the farmers have polluted the ground water with round-up and others poisons...

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolute rubbish and never drink them. I think as a diabetic they are completely fine for sugar - I'm just not sure what is in them.

But, once in a while, I'll drink an Irn Bru light :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I don"t drink water as its horrible where i live. I drink tea, occasionally black coffee and zero coke

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolute rubbish and never drink them. I think as a diabetic they are completely fine for sugar - I'm just not sure what is in them.

But, once in a while, I'll drink an Irn Bru light :)

is Irn Bru light with artificial sugar too ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm pretty sure the aspartame in diet drinks crucified my health... But as a diabetic for 30+ years was told diet was ok..... 2003 (not told till 2015), a Consultant diagnosed me with aspartame intolerance.....

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty sure the aspartame in diet drinks crucified my health... But as a diabetic for 30+ years was told diet was ok..... 2003 (not told till 2015), a Consultant diagnosed me with aspartame intolerance.....

my sister drank 3-4 liters of Coca-cola a day (she still hasen´t got diabetes) but to become more healthy she changed to diet Coca-cola and very soon everything she drank or ate tasted like aspartame ... and till this day she can´t drink any with that in...

yes it probably isn´t healthy and is not a food but a Chemical.... and I ought not drink it, but I was shopping and 80-90% of the foods and sweets in my supermarket is almost poison to me now... and then got tempted...

I what ways did it crucify your health ?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Aspartame is one of the safest ingredients
Aspartame is probably the safest substance added to food ever. It has been tested far more than any other additive and found to be safe over and over and over again, despite possibly the most scare stories about it and perceptions that's it downright evil.

Incidentally, a pretty good study on Aspartame sensitivity found that there was essentially no such thing, so it might have been something else. Certainly the acidity of fizzy drinks can't be good for you.

There is a great deal of evidence that Aspartame has no effect on insulin release, in several different studies from lots of different teams.

If only it didn't taste so bloody awful.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One of the reasons I avoid tap water here apart from the awful taste is that it is fluoridated and it can affect BG levels adversly.

In fact a friend was told by her consultant not to drink it as she had extremely high BG and was having great difficulty bringing it down.

"Clinical Study of Effect of High Fluoride on the Function of the Pancreas Islet B Cells

XIE, Yong-ping1, GE Xiang-jin2, JIANG Yu-4ng3, FENG Ming-ying1, FAN Ying-yi1, Wang Fu-lun1, WEI Zeng-fu1,
ZHAO Gui-lu3, QIN-Ai-qiong1
1Gaomi People’s Hospital, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500, China
2Gaomi Epidemic Prevention Stations, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500
3Gaomi Endemic Disease Prevention Office, Shandong, Gaomi 261500

Objective To study the effect of excessive fluoride intake on the function of pancreas islet’s B cells.
Methods: We performed x-rays, determined the [F] in the urine, conducted OGTT insulin and C-peptide releasing tests in
the serum, and analysed the drinking water quality of the exposed group and control group.
Results: (1) The [F] in drinking water and the geometrical mean of the [F] in the urine of the people of the exposed group
were higher than those of the control group. (2) The fastng blood glucose concentration and the peak value after oral
glucose in the exposed group were higher than those of the control group. The peak value was found later in the
exposed group than in the control group. (3) The detectable rate of Diabetes and IGT in the exposed group was higher
than that in the control group. (4) The blood-insulin and C-peptide in the exposed group were lower than in the control
group, although the peak value after oral glucose was found later in the exposed group.
Conclusions: Excessive fluoride can do much harm to the function of the pancreas islet B cells and the effects change with the degree of fluorosis."

link http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/xie-2000.pdf

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I never buy and keep these drinks at home, even though I have a teenager. But I will occasionally drink an ice cold diet coke/pepsi on a very hot day, when out and about.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

When I was first diagnosed there wasn't a lot to choose from diet drink wise, there was 1 Cal, TAB and Schweppes Slimeline Bitter Lemon that I can recall, when Coke and Pepsi came around I was quite pleased to see them as 1 Cal & TAB were not very pleasant to drink.

I still enjoy the odd can of Diet Coke and don't worry about the sweeteners they contain.

Reactions: tim2000s and Freema

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
One of the reasons I avoid tap water here apart from the awful taste is that it is fluoridated and it can affect BG levels adversly.

In fact a friend was told by her consultant not to drink it as she had extremely high BG and was having great difficulty bringing it down.

"Clinical Study of Effect of High Fluoride on the Function of the Pancreas Islet B Cells

XIE, Yong-ping1, GE Xiang-jin2, JIANG Yu-4ng3, FENG Ming-ying1, FAN Ying-yi1, Wang Fu-lun1, WEI Zeng-fu1,
ZHAO Gui-lu3, QIN-Ai-qiong1
1Gaomi People’s Hospital, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500, China
2Gaomi Epidemic Prevention Stations, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500
3Gaomi Endemic Disease Prevention Office, Shandong, Gaomi 261500

Objective To study the effect of excessive fluoride intake on the function of pancreas islet’s B cells.
Methods: We performed x-rays, determined the [F] in the urine, conducted OGTT insulin and C-peptide releasing tests in
the serum, and analysed the drinking water quality of the exposed group and control group.
Results: (1) The [F] in drinking water and the geometrical mean of the [F] in the urine of the people of the exposed group
were higher than those of the control group. (2) The fastng blood glucose concentration and the peak value after oral
glucose in the exposed group were higher than those of the control group. The peak value was found later in the
exposed group than in the control group. (3) The detectable rate of Diabetes and IGT in the exposed group was higher
than that in the control group. (4) The blood-insulin and C-peptide in the exposed group were lower than in the control
group, although the peak value after oral glucose was found later in the exposed group.
Conclusions: Excessive fluoride can do much harm to the function of the pancreas islet B cells and the effects change with the degree of fluorosis."

link http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/xie-2000.pdf

I can't make head nor tail of that study - it seems that they picked the exposed group from people who had an existing bone disease. There has been some more recent study that shows an odd finding, that adding Sodium Fluoride seems to slightly increase blood sugar, but a high natural rate of calcium fluoride lowers it. Adding other versions of Fluorine also lowers it.

By the way that Fluoride Alert site is a conspiracy theory site, not a scientific resource, I'd take everything they claim with a pinch of salt, or Fluoride.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
By the way that Fluoride Alert site is a conspiracy theory site, not a scientific resource, I'd take everything they claim with a pinch of salt, or Fluoride.

I'm sure you would but they did not produce the study or do the science.

And there are plenty of studies and data showing the dangers of fluoridating water. may be one good way of tackling the diabetes epidemic would to be to put metformin in the drinking water what do you think.

Edit to add that Birmingham is along with the rest of the West Midlands amongst the most fluoridated areas in the UK coincidence ?

Any way my apologies for going off topic and will disist.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never drank these before I was diagnosed - so not about to start now. I rarely drank any fizzy drinks, sugared or otherwise. I never really got the appeal - they all leave a revolting film on teeth.