1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what are your thoughts of diet coke and the like ?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Freema, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Trescoe1975

Trescoe1975 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the above posts, very helpful. I have had unusual symptoms of late and having been trying to tie them back to a cause/affect. I noticed it after the odd Zero sprite over several weeks. I read up on aspartame intolerance and I am wondering if I have that “tee shirt”

Will take the general consensus I think and stay away from them. Will go back to my 2 litres of water a day. The tap water here is grim but will stick with the bottled version.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Probably? Is that why it failed to get FDA approval for several years on the trot, (a U.S. FDA task force team reviewed 11 aspartame studies submitted by the manufacturer, G.D. Searle. The team reported "serious deficiencies in Searle's operations and practices"). until Ronald Reagan became president and appointed a new director of the FDA (Arthur Hayes Jr) in April 1981? No conspiracy there then? LOL
    I think I'll stick with the advice given to me by several of my old chums. They were research chemists at G.D.Searle in the late 70s and early 80s

3. DavidGrahamJones

I think you're probably better off with the water, that's just an opinion. Are any of the water purifiers any good, they seem to claim that they remove all sorts of things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I drink about 5 cans of Pepsi Max or Sprite Zero a week other than that it' tea, coffee or tap water - I don't like the taste of bottled water!. If I'm out it's either tea, coffee or lime and soda.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

In some parts of the world, the natural levels of fluoride in the water are very high and can cause health problems. None of these areas are in the UK. There are, however, some areas in the UK where the natural level of fluoride too low for optimal health. In those areas, fluoride may be added to the water but only in minute quantities, enough to raise the fluoride levels to be equivalent to the naturally-occurring levels elsewhere in the country.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trescoe1975

Trescoe1975 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Our water is run off from a volcano. Water has a distinct "smell" even with our top of the range filter. The smell of tap water puts you off. Have been taking a drop of red wine with Sprite as a spritzer. I do hope it is not the wine causing the problem

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChrisSamsDad

ChrisSamsDad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And they managed to persuade food agencies across the world who did their own independent research? It's a big leap from 'didn't do the initial research properly' to ' and now it's been approved and therefore it's a conspiracy'.

I say 'probably' because that's how science works - you can't 100% prove it's safe - in fact for some people with specific diseases, you can't take it at all. You can theoretically prove it's dangerous, but it's a 'black swan' problem - It's easy to disprove the statement 'All swans are white' by finding 1 black swan, but you can't prove it's 100% correct unless somehow you could see all the swans in the world now and in the future.
    So these research friends of yours, being scientists, will have specific research that points to the dangers of Aspartame, I guess, not just some scare-mongering article at Dr Mercola's site?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidGrahamJones

The real problem is that even when you weed out all the rubbish, there is just so much written about this, that or the other aspect of any subject you care to mention. To the point where I don't really have the time or the inclination to care that much. I have an opinion which I offered. As for my friends, some of whom I shared a house with all those years ago, many of whom I still see to this day, they are no longer in research having progressed over the last 30 plus years. One is now a professor at a British University, another is a vicar (takes all sorts) and I doubt whether they have thought very much about something they were familiar with 35 years ago.
    Mercola? Anybody who says "The most dangerous substance on the earth . . . . ." I avoid like the plague, a bit like when somebody makes an equally extreme claim like "probably the safest substance added to food ever". Neither claim is any good to a thicko like me. I don't consume it intentionally, so I don't have to worry whether it's safe or not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. DavidGrahamJones

Just looked at your message, after Skyping my MIL's cousin (he's 90) in Auckland and FB messaging a old friend in Hamilton. I seem to be having a NZ day so far. Looks like you're stuck with the bottled stuff. I have read that red wine in moderation is good for you. I know the French add water to wine, do you think the red wine would overpower your volcanic water?

BTW, don't take anything too seriously, just a bit of light humour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

This site that we post on every day can be considered a conspiracy site after all look how much science is telling us that carbs are vital to health, fat is bad sugar is good cholesterol causes heart disease oh do not forget how the the tobacco industry used the orthodox scientists to claim by the use of studies that the evidence that tobacco causes disease was not definitive. You may ingest as much fluoride as you like I will not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DavidGrahamJones

Sums it up rather well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bangkokian

Bangkokian Type 2 · Member

I drink coke zero as the labels says zero sugar, zero fat, zero carbs. Not a problem is it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. frankman

frankman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally, I make an effort not to drink any soft drinks. I try to drink 2LT water a day, as I have prostate cancer.

I also try to limit the amount of processed food in my diet - not easy. Plus my diabetic nurse doesn't approve of a low carb diet.

Frank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well you really has something to cope with ... wish you all the best of luck

15. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to drink mainly no added sugar squash with sparkling mineral water (the water out of the tap is vile), but do drink Pepsi max and other sugar free fuzzy drinks quite a lot too. I've never had any issues with them

• Like Like x 1
  16. frankman

frankman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your kind words Freema. I try to retain a positive attitude, but some days I feel down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. LezLezLez

LezLezLez Type 2 · Member

Hi Mahola,
    I was feeling comfortable with drinking 2 or 3 cans of Diet Coke per day for several years but then noticed my teeth were losing enamel at the edges. My dentist then warned about acidic drinks and I found out that such drinks can have an acidic pH of around 2.6 (7.0 is neutral). I have stopped drinking diet coke now and hope my teeth will recover. I next found a non-sugar flavoured water drink in main supermarkets and emailed their nutrition department for pH information. They replied they don't measure it!
    Overall - nothing is straightforward is it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink pepsi max cherry and for the moment is the one thing I am not going to be giving up

• Like Like x 1
  19. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being this an UK-Based site and whai I've read seems to me there's a problem with NHS advices for diabetics and nurses and GP not very well trained on the matter.

I bear a grudge too with Italian doctors because they haven't advised me that I was at risk of diabetes, with high fasting BG and triglycerides and low HDL, and what risk poses have diabetes. But when I've asked for dietary advices they told me to cut carbs for supper and that a good strategy to lose weight is to cut bread, potatoes, and starchy foods.

This is a long, techical document in Italan about guidelines of diabetes.

http://www.standarditaliani.it/skin/www.standarditaliani.it/pdf/STANDARD_2014_May28.pdf

interestingly enough there's an extract about dieting that I'll try to translate

They are also saying that it's useful to limit the artificial sweters intake.

Seems to me that the big problem is that NHS has old guideline on diabetes and that guidelines are used as boilerplate advices by the average health professional.

• Like Like x 1
  20. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Very interesting, thank you...

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook