Does just one bad day make a difference?

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Hi everyone. As a newbie to the site I wish to introduce myself.
I'm still coming to terms with now being a type two diabetic (shock ... horror) and have been pretty good over the last few months dietwise .. but then again I've ALWAYS eaten nuts, vegetables, fruit, plain yoghurts and a suger free muesli.
I'm not a smoker or drinker, but 'was' a bit of a nibbler during the daytime, and haven't exercised anywhere near as much as I used to up until the last five years since retiring.
However today has been very stressful ... ie .. daughter taken ill ... phone not working to contact anyone, dog playing up, and then my mother needing me to sort out her new mobile for her!
It's all taken it's toll today ... resulting in me eating stupidly since mid morning (did get usual breakfast before everything erupted)
I usually test my bs levels at mealtimes and I'm fairly consistent ... eg 5.8 before meals around 8.1 afterwards, but I just knew that my erratic eating would have pushed my readings up, causing me more stress to see what they were, so I've not tested at all today.
Do you think this one day will have done me a lot of damage?
Hope someone replies ... I need calming down or a telling off at least!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: redtree92

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and a big welcome :)

I think we've all fallen off the wagon, so to speak. One day isn't going to hurt - sometimes we need to reward ourselves or comfort ourselves when we're having a tough day. I had my Hba1c down to 42 in March but got very complacent over Spring and throughout the summer. Bottom line was that I didn't eat as strictly as I should have done for approx 4 months. My Hba1c increased a bit - to 49.

Don't beat yourself up. You can return to a "sensible" eating plan tomorrow. And with Xmas on its way you'll find that most of us have this day "off" and indulge a little, within sensible limits ;).

Reactions: Chasida

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I wouldn't worry, opinion is divided, some people really obsess about the odd spike, others concentrate on the longer term HbA1c result. It's probably a mixture of both, but I think generally, short period of slightly raised BG aren't going to make much difference. People without diabetes have them too. Just say 'que sera sera' and move on to tomorrow. Sometimes you can't avoid them - I was at an all day meeting and the lunch was just sandwiches and I was starving.

Having said that, I don't do this, if I have a bad carb day I feel I have to pay some kind of penance, and have an extra trip to the gym, or work out a bit longer. I'm not completely obsessed by this, but it does make me feel I've achieved some kind of balance and exercise is good for you.

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Hi and a big welcome :)

I think we've all fallen off the wagon, so to speak. One day isn't going to hurt - sometimes we need to reward ourselves or comfort ourselves when we're having a tough day. I had my Hba1c down to 42 in March but got very complacent over Spring and throughout the summer. Bottom line was that I didn't eat as strictly as I should have done for approx 4 months. My Hba1c increased a bit - to 49.

Don't beat yourself up. You can return to a "sensible" eating plan tomorrow. And with Xmas on its way you'll find that most of us have this day "off" and indulge a little, within sensible limits ;).
Awww ... many thanks for being so gentle with me tigerlily. I really don't deserve it

Reactions: tigerlily72

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I wouldn't worry, opinion is divided, some people really obsess about the odd spike, others concentrate on the longer term HbA1c result. It's probably a mixture of both, but I think generally, short period of slightly raised BG aren't going to make much difference. People without diabetes have them too. Just say 'que sera sera' and move on to tomorrow. Sometimes you can't avoid them - I was at an all day meeting and the lunch was just sandwiches and I was starving.

Having said that, I don't do this, if I have a bad carb day I feel I have to pay some kind of penance, and have an extra trip to the gym, or work out a bit longer. I'm not completely obsessed by this, but it does make me feel I've achieved some kind of balance and exercise is good for you.
Yes and I really will be back on the straight and narrow tomorrow. You can bet your bottom dollar. I know that my usual readings are still a bit above the desired level, so it just upsets me that I willingly wrecked my whole day today. Thanks for your input

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it upset you it might you feel more impowered to eat a low carb dinner and make you feel better getting on the right track. Of not, don't beat yourself up although I know how it feels. After some time it just doesn't become worth it most often. But rest assured we all have our days or meals. We're human.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So, we all have bad days. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. Can't change it, can't stop being human. If anyone was to tell you they have never gone off the rails on a particularly bad day or week or even year then they are either superman or lying. Diabetes management is for life and you still have to have a life. You will be OK. ;):)

Reactions: BeccyB

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a "bad day" every week. A Chinese meal and ice cream. The rest of the week is low carb and this regime works for me. Possibly luck? There is evidence on the internet that having an off day regularly is beneficial and if it is then looking forward to that day helps with the repetition of low carbing.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Once a week I have a star bucks hot chocolate and a brownie.
Naughty me! Lol
Just don't test after you have done it

Reactions: Liam1955

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
https://www.muscleforlife.com/refeed/

No MORE than once a week for me. I find on the other six days I stay on the low carb plan and can do it without temptation.
That is referring to a day of increased calories to jumpstart weightloss which can be done while staying low carb. It does not say hey diabetics, eat a bunch of carbs now and then to jumpstart high blood sugar and carb cravings. We all have bad days and it does no good to beat yourself up over it but finding ways to justify it is a slippery slope. The theory that if you don't test and therefore don't see what you are doing to yourself that it's all good also seems self defeating and again a slippery slope. I am not telling anyone what to do here but encouraging people to cheat or carb binge is not being supportive.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is referring to a day of increased calories to jumpstart weightloss which can be done while staying low carb. It does not say hey diabetics, eat a bunch of carbs now and then to jumpstart high blood sugar and carb cravings. We all have bad days and it does no good to beat yourself up over it but finding ways to justify it is a slippery slope. The theory that if you don't test and therefore don't see what you are doing to yourself that it's all good also seems self defeating and again a slippery slope. I am not telling anyone what to do here but encouraging people to cheat or carb binge is not being supportive.

Telling them they have to eat EVERY day for the rest of their lives a low carb plan isn't helpful either. There are others on here do what I have stated and kept control of their diabetes. Diagnosed 8.3. First year 5.3. Second year 4.7. Obviously if it doesn't work out for someone then they can go back to a seven day low carb plan. Everybody does not get cravings and they have good willpower to control their diabetes which means a regular "treat" is possible. Obviously testing is needed to find out if the "treat" is doing damage.

Reactions: Chasida

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is referring to a day of increased calories to jumpstart weightloss.

A lot of members are concerned with weight loss???

Reactions: sejehh

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had 4 bad days in a row last week. Was on holidays in the states and couldn't resist the bigger portions! Have been exceptionally good since I got home at the weekend. I'm wondering how much will it effect my a1c that I'll be getting done next week! I did an at home test the day before the 4 day binge and it was 7.5 could I expect a rise from that Does anyone know?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 4 bad days in a row last week. Was on holidays in the states and couldn't resist the bigger portions! Have been exceptionally good since I got home at the weekend. I'm wondering how much will it effect my a1c that I'll be getting done next week! I did an at home test the day before the 4 day binge and it was 7.5 could I expect a rise from that Does anyone know?

Impossible to answer??? The test is an average over the last six week period so it might not make a difference. I would pay attention to your own testing rather than the NHS test which are more frequent.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

the a1c is an average of the last 3 month or about that ... but it is a bit with the weight on the latest part of the period, so maybe it will seem higher than you would expect.... so maybe best to cheat right after getting ones a1c and celebrating the good numbers.... but all i all it is only ourselves we cheat ... noone else ...

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Oh yes I SO have to agree with this! The only person we are cheating on is ourselves. I have to admit that my biggest fear is for my eyesight. I already have background retinopathy (as well as optic nerve damage ... from glaucoma in one eye) and I know I have to fight tooth and nail to halt further degeneration. Both Glaucoma and Diabetes are so devastating to future sight.

Reactions: Janwls

Janwls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain and wind
Hi everyone. As a newbie to the site I wish to introduce myself.
I'm still coming to terms with now being a type two diabetic (shock ... horror) and have been pretty good over the last few months dietwise .. but then again I've ALWAYS eaten nuts, vegetables, fruit, plain yoghurts and a suger free muesli.
I'm not a smoker or drinker, but 'was' a bit of a nibbler during the daytime, and haven't exercised anywhere near as much as I used to up until the last five years since retiring.
However today has been very stressful ... ie .. daughter taken ill ... phone not working to contact anyone, dog playing up, and then my mother needing me to sort out her new mobile for her!
It's all taken it's toll today ... resulting in me eating stupidly since mid morning (did get usual breakfast before everything erupted)
I usually test my bs levels at mealtimes and I'm fairly consistent ... eg 5.8 before meals around 8.1 afterwards, but I just knew that my erratic eating would have pushed my readings up, causing me more stress to see what they were, so I've not tested at all today.
Do you think this one day will have done me a lot of damage?
Hope someone replies ... I need calming down or a telling off at least!!!
Hey I'm also new to this type 2. I know what you mean about having a bad day and wondering if it has any affect , but I just slow down start over and I'm feeling better in my mind knowing I'm doing the right thing doing as I'm told lol . Good luck .

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a "bad day" every week. A Chinese meal and ice cream. The rest of the week is low carb and this regime works for me. Possibly luck? There is evidence on the internet that having an off day regularly is beneficial and if it is then looking forward to that day helps with the repetition of low carbing.

I did some calculations after reading through one of my books on Carbs and Cals.

Hot & Sour soup estimated 5 carbs possibly less.
Singapore Chow Mein 51 carbs
Ice cream 15 carbs
Red Wine 3 carbs

Just over 70 carbs. Add this to my other food - two meals no snacks - and it comes to about 100 carbs in the "bad" day.. The rest of the week my main meal is a lot lower. Lots of supplements and I have over all good control of blood sugar levels to my satisfaction. The cheat/treat day will seem horrendous to some but it works for ME. Members should do their own research and see if a cheat/treat day is possible.