1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does just one bad day make a difference?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Chasida, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

• Like Like x 1
  2. spendercat

spendercat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

it was a little joke
    I am a long term LCHF diet follower, with an HBa1c of 5.9. I aim at -100 carbs a day. Starbucks hot chocolate without cream and half a brownie is 38.5 grams of carbohydrate. It doesn't do anything much to my blood sugar. I tested and that's how I know. I also know I can't afford to waste carbs on frivolous things too often, or my nutritional status will suffer.
    Always test. Be kind to yourself, forgive mistakes.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RJW_Lon_29

RJW_Lon_29 Prediabetes · Member

It can be hard to keep eating strictly and to keep off the sugary stuff, but you seem to be doing well by eating all the right stuff. I simply can't resist cakes, biscuits or any sweets offered to me, though I share one cake with my friend whenever we go shopping and eat at cafes. The rear of the time I keep to fruit and maybe cheese and crackers. Or savoury stuff.
    But I haven't been diagnosed as fully diabetic yet. Still waiting for my results.

4. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In terms of that original question...probably:). Although I misbehaved a fair amount on hols I terms of adding desserts....I love them, but my BG was back in the 5-6 within 3 days of returning to my regime following the end of my hols.

So my guess is I've improved my insulin sensitivity over the lady 6 months

5. redtree92

redtree92 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hello, welcome :)

firstly, you are ok, and everything will be ok! We all have a bad day, and thats ok, levels being a bit off for a day is fine, no need to panic at all, and it sounds like you are completely in control! Your doing so so well.

But stress is one of my number one nightmares, sends me up into the 12-13's and i also panic, but it won't help anything, so i say, ok today was a bad day, lets forget it happened and tomorrow we can try again, a fresh day :)

I hope that you have been having a better time, and your daughter is ok xxx

• Like Like x 1
  6. mist

mist · Guest

Just do the exact opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

Relax, your winning at life..;)

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

wannabemammy - Really the only way you would know whether there would be an impact would be to have the the test you did in the States as your benchmark, then do a further home test, from the same batch on the same day as your HbA1c.

Whilst I found the home A1c tests to be accurate, they are similar, not exactly the same. Mine were to within 1 or 2 of the lab results, but I believe others find they can vary a bit, just as my meter average or Libre HbA1c estimation and lab HbA1c are never close to each other.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Chasida

Chasida Type 2 · Well-Known Member

9. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Problem with this condition is that you rarely notice anything when bloods go up. Looking at a number on a screen is all you have. I believe that while any damage on a given day may be miniscule, it all accumulates to do the damage. Just a matter of if the No10 bus gets you first!
    One of my problems is that on the days I eat too many carbs and drink beer the meter doesn't go up too much. It seems to be 3 days later that my body struggles, liver dumps like the victoria falls, and it takes two or three weeks of very low carbs to get under control again

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. ColS

ColS · Member

It gets us all differently. I can have a cream cake once a week or the odd beer now and then my sugar level will spike for a couple of hours then drop back into sync. I have been doing a bit more exercise recently and it burns the sugar off in no time.

11. Jon Lee

Jon Lee Type 2 · Member

Also remember a lapse is not a relapse.

I sometimes go a little low, below 4 in the evening before tea. I should have a small carton of fruit juice, I often have a couple of sweets (lidl individually wrapped nougat) and sometimes an icecream. It has to be done.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook