Type 1: Problems with prescriptions for test strips

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anybody come up against problems with being prescribed test strips for your glucose monitor machine? I'm newly diagnosed and the DN told me to test as often as I need but at least four times a day. Problem is that I'm using around 7-8 a day currently (some give a fault error and have to be discarded) and they are supplied in boxes of 50. I just put a new prescription in and they tell me that I can't have anymore as they were only prescribed about a week ago. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Bea

C

catherinecherub

I will tag @noblehead who has a link to a letter from Dept of Health which you can use if you are having difficulty obtaining strips.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead Thanks, that link won't work for me ?

Not sure why as it seems to be working.

As you have the approval of your DSN to test often ask them to write to your gp about the test strip restriction.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Or alternatively raise it direct with your practice manager as they shouldn't restrict your prescription, remind them you are type 1.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice guidelines provide that type 1 diabetic patients should be supported to test 4-10 times a day, or more (see ng 17 1.6.11-12 https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2)

I suggest seeing the practice manager or a doctor and asking why the guidelines are being contravened.

Do you have a DSN at a hospital clinic? If so, get in touch with them because they will support you in asking the script you need. If not, maybe contact the local diabetic nurse team at your hospital and see if they will help explain to your GP practice why it is not appropriate or safe to be restricting access to test strips for an insulin dependent diabetic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You should only have the occasional failing strip. I'm guessing you are still getting used to how big the drop is etc? If this continues you might want to change to a different meter type? Although you should be allowed more strips do make sure that you know why you are testing each time. I know that sounds a bit patronising which it's not meant to be but I've seen some posts over the years where the poster appears to be doing lots of testing for the sake of it. Perhaps I'm lucky but I may use between 1 and 6 strips per day as I can usually guess quite well what my sugar will be based on experience but I always test before and during driving and I'm hypo aware.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
In the beginning i thought I was using too many strips as I also need to test regularly. So I would buy them from Boots at £25 a time until my monthly prescription was due. I mentioned this to my DSN and she went nuts as did my doctor. From then on I just put a repeat prescription in and have no problem getting strips.

A

asparagusp

Noblehead's link works for me. I suggest you either copy/paste the link rather than click or failing that again copy/paste the address but delete the "s" in "https"

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks @noblehead, the link is working, must have been my signal or Internet connection. thanks everyone for the advice. my DN advised me to adjust my insulin levels to match the carbs I eat so to do this I have been testing maybe 7 times a day ish to see what certain foods do to me. Is that considered unnecessary testing? it's still early days for me and at the moment I feel like I need to frequently test so I can take appropriate action to avoid going too high or low.

Reactions: noblehead

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@HoneyBea that's not unnecessary testing. Before I got my Freestyle Libre, which I now use alongside my blood glucose meter, I tested:

When I got up
Before every meal
Before every snack
Whenever I wasn't feeling right
After many meals and snacks, to see if I'd got the insulin adjustment right
Before getting into the car to drive
Before any kind of meeting/going out/social occasion/doctors' appt to make sure I wasn't going low and getting giggly (one of my low symptoms)
Before/during/after exercise
Before bed
Sometimes during the night

That's a lot of tests - ALL of them, in my opinion, necessary.

I used to do 12-14 tests a day, every day.

Now I do 4-6 actual fingerprick tests, and use the Libre for what I call the 'reassurance' testing.

Bottom line? One needs to test as much as one needs to. And the fact that you are needing to test more frequently that your GP seems to want you to should not mean that you are not able to access the strips that you need.

:)

Reactions: Poole

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks @noblehead, the link is working, must have been my signal or Internet connection. thanks everyone for the advice. my DN advised me to adjust my insulin levels to match the carbs I eat so to do this I have been testing maybe 7 times a day ish to see what certain foods do to me. Is that considered unnecessary testing? it's still early days for me and at the moment I feel like I need to frequently test so I can take appropriate action to avoid going too high or low.

No, that's not unnecessary testing at all. I test around 7-12 times a day depending on circumstances and what I'm doing.

I've had problems with my GP and test strips a number of times over the years. In my opinion, it stems from ignorance about Type 1 and the use of insulin. I'm sure very few Type 1s test their blood sugar because they haven't anything better to do :rolleyes:

If you're testing for a reason - and there are any number of reasons eg driving, exercise, checking your after meal BS, etc, etc then it's a necessary test. My advice is to work out how many test strips you need a month and tell the surgery with the backing of your DSN.

Reactions: Snapsy

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@HoneyBea that's not unnecessary testing. Before I got my Freestyle Libre, which I now use alongside my blood glucose meter, I tested:

When I got up
Before every meal
Before every snack
Whenever I wasn't feeling right
After many meals and snacks, to see if I'd got the insulin adjustment right
Before getting into the car to drive
Before any kind of meeting/going out/social occasion/doctors' appt to make sure I wasn't going low and getting giggly (one of my low symptoms)
Before/during/after exercise
Before bed
Sometimes during the night

That's a lot of tests - ALL of them, in my opinion, necessary.

I used to do 12-14 tests a day, every day.

Now I do 4-6 actual fingerprick tests, and use the Libre for what I call the 'reassurance' testing.

Bottom line? One needs to test as much as one needs to. And the fact that you are needing to test more frequently that your GP seems to want you to should not mean that you are not able to access the strips that you need.

:)
Thank you @Snapsy, it's good to know that you also tested frequently. Makes me feel better

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no such thing as an unnecessary test - you aren't doing it for fun. You are doing it to monitor your health and make decisions on the dosing of insulin a drug which, in the most extreme circumstances, does have potential to do you harm if you get the dose wrong.

Clinically necessary tests:
- before bed
- before food
- after food
- before during and after exercising
- any weird feelings
- post hypo treatment or post correction
- during illness

Legally mandated test:
- before and ever two hours during driving

Just checking tests (provides vital info for you to make treatment decisions)
- performing basal tests
- checking what blood sugar is doing in an unusual situation e.g. High stress

None of these categories could be classified as unnecessary. Ever test gives you important info on how to manage your diabetes.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks @azure! I'll make sure I work it out and let my GP know. I'm so glad I joined this forum.. the information really is invaluable!
Hi there
30 days in a month and 8 tests a day is 240 ( so 250 is the nearest amount ) 5 boxes
this is a good starting point:)

-- but I have with much difficulty managed to get 300 per month from my GP.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 300 strips a month on my repeats, although I am using a lot less now that I have the Libre - much to my Doctor's delight ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can get 200 on prescription every month - they didn't bat an eyelid when I asked them to double my previous amount. Now I've got the Libre though I'm finding I'm not needing to order test strips as often as I used to!

Reactions: robert72