Injections. Or pump?

M

mist

If your on a pump, what happens if you don't, or can't eat? Does it still inject you with insulin?

What if your stuck in a tree or something! :wideyed:

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
If you need to you can suspend insulin delivery, great for situations where you are stuck in a tree

Reactions: Alba37

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your on a pump, what happens if you don't, or can't eat? Does it still inject you with insulin?

What if your stuck in a tree or something! :wideyed:

If you're not eating, you just don't tell the pump to bolus you.

It will continue to deliver your basal insulin (just like you would continue to have your lantus/levemir in your system) but the job of your basal insulin is to keep your blood sugar steady in the absence of food or unusual activity. So provided basal rates were set correctly being stuck up a tree shouldn't cause an issue in a pump.

Being on a pump doesn't automate your diabetes management, you remain in charge of the pump and have to tell it what to do.

Reactions: Snapsy and Alba37

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Being on a pump doesn't automate your diabetes management, you remain in charge of the pump and have to tell it what to do.
No, only a truly intelligent closed loop system would do that. And we're not there yet!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But very close to it
All it needs is the FDA to approve the faster acting insulins and I think some of the opnaps stuff will allow us to not need to bolus because the algo will recognise what's happening and deal with it!

iHs

If you need to you can suspend insulin delivery, great for situations where you are stuck in a tree

This will only work with some degree of success, if bg is above target as it will take about 1.5hrs to take effect and stop bg from dropping. If bg is at target, then any IOB still at work, will make bg drop even if pump is turned off.
Always best to carry some sort of snack food as pumps are not magic

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I prefer to know that if I'm injecting 6 units of humulog I'm actually getting those 6 units.

With injections though not all the units are used 100% due to absorption, but a pump, although not 100% efficient uses more of the dose, so less units for one particular meal than you would normally need when injecting.....;)

Reactions: azure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This will only work with some degree of success, if bg is above target as it will take about 1.5hrs to take effect and stop bg from dropping. If bg is at target, then any IOB still at work, will make bg drop even if pump is turned off.
Always best to carry some sort of snack food as pumps are not magic
The way the 640 suspends is based on a predictive model.

It will suspend when:
  • Your Sensor Glucose (SG) value is at or within 3.9 mmol/L above your low limit &
  • Your SG is predicted to reach or fall below a level that is 1.1 mmol/L above your low limit within approximately 30 minutes.
This combination proves to be very effective at heading off lows (I wrote something about it here). My experience of this was that with a carb counted meal, you could overbolus by around 20% and it would still stop you hitting low glucose levels with the suspend model it employs. In fact, you can set your low level at something like 4.8 and it becomes really quite difficult to go low due to the way this algorithm works.

Obviously it goes without saying that you should always have emergency carbs - that's always the risk with exogenous insulin.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am getting a pump for the first time next month. An animas vibe.. after 50 years of injecting. I might put a thread on yet(not done that before)

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the Ypsomed Omnipod pump for the last three and a half years now and I love it! Have so much more freedom and my control is really good. A pump isn't for everyone but it worked for me. I've had diabetes for 10 years now, since I was 7. I have had technical problems with the pump but Ypsomed sorted them with efficiency and little hassle.

Reactions: himtoo

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were to try for a pump you would probably go on a course first. I've been T1 for 45 years and went on a four day course over four weeks. Basically they covered everything but will sort out your Basal and bolus doses. After the course my control was so good that My medical team and I decided against a pump. I chose not to because I didn't want the hassle of carrying pump spares as well as my normal Diabetic stuff everywhere with me. This was very much a personal choice as a lot of people have pumps and much prefer them. My point is that it is a decision that you can make after attending the course when all pros and cons are explained to you

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I've been on the pump for 10 month after injection for 43 year and I would not like to go back to MDI at all, my control is alot better but not perfect, Ive had problems with the pump and the handset in the past 3 weeks but I was sent a new pump the next day and the handset took 2 days as I called the helpline on a Saturday about it, what I have found really good over the past week is the ability to control BS much better whilst being on a course of steriods which is pretty impossible when on MDI. I would go for it personally.

Hope this helps

Reactions: himtoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
IMG_1477083461.501843.jpg

Not this size anymore!!

Reactions: BeccyB and Gaz-M