Feeling really fed up and struggling

Coops65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Morning, I am really struggling with the LCHF and my Fasting bloods this morning was 6 which has gone up, this has really freaked me out. I am probably over reacting. I have also been looking at what I'm eating and that carbs that are in what Im eating, I don't know if I can carry on eating this way. I realise that this is meant to stop me becoming Diabetic but just feel is it worth it. Sorry all, rant over just struggling with what I can eat :(

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Sorry you are feeling so fed up --- hang in there. Sorry if you know all the following but it is worth remembering that if you are feeling unwell in any way or dealing with a lot of stress then this I believe sends the blood glucose readings up regardless of what you are eating. So you could be doing it all correctly and still getting higher readings.
It is worth it - I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and the impact on my life has not been easy to deal with, yes low carb is difficult or at least I also find it difficult - the support on this site is amazing.
The really good things I have found to eat are natural full fat Greek yogurt - I add a sugar free, calorie free syrup to it which I get from the web just to take off the sharp taste that I do not like in yogurt and I have this sometimes twice a day but generally for breakfast.
Lunch tends to be salad, sandwich if I have no other alternative.........
Evening meal is the one I really struggle with, but a veg stir fry or meat and veg generally - I am not too adventurous food wise.

Hoping that might help you to not give up on yourself.
:rolleyes:

Jo123

I low carb and am prediabetic. My last hba1c was 32, but I still get high fasting bgs.
It is what it is, I prefer to low carb to avoid diabetes and the potential complications.

To me it as simple as valuing my health more than being able to eat what I want.
Actually I have found my tastes have changed and I do enjoy what I eat.

Coops65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
srobertson06 thank you for your reply the 1 thing I forgot to mention is that i'm prediabetic and have quite a bit of weight to lose and this is why the DN told me to do LCHF way of eating. My bloods were done 18mnths ago but I wasn't told at my old doctors, went to see nurse at new practice and she asked if anyone had told me that I was prediabetic which was a shock.
As I don't know were I am at this moment with my hbc1a bloods I bought a monitor now not sure this was a good idea. Maybe your right and im abit stressed!

Jo123

Sorry I didn't sound very sympathetic reading back my post, I am sympathetic it is hard at the beginning.

But now you have your monitor you need to test test test, to see what you can and can't eat.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Coops, I'm in the same boat, Ive been low (well... reduced) carbing for 3 months now as a prediabetic, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to it , it's making me very depressed. I find I am stressing/anxious about food pretty much 24 hours a day, every day. Not being able to cook very well and not having much time, I have a very busy lifestyle, it's incredibly hard. I have up to now been determined to carry on with it but in all honesty I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it up for, at least not without making some changes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
srobertson06 thank you for your reply the 1 thing I forgot to mention is that i'm prediabetic and have quite a bit of weight to lose and this is why the DN told me to do LCHF way of eating. My bloods were done 18mnths ago but I wasn't told at my old doctors, went to see nurse at new practice and she asked if anyone had told me that I was prediabetic which was a shock.
As I don't know were I am at this moment with my hbc1a bloods I bought a monitor now not sure this was a good idea. Maybe your right and im abit stressed!
Why not go and get a new HbA1c and use that as a benchmark. Get the surgery to print out the results so you know what they are. See if you can have one done every three months and you can track your progress. It is very worthwhile in my opinion carrying on with a low carb diet. I just wish someone had told me about it when I was pre-diabetic but alas...

Coops65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi bulkbiker
The DN didn't want to do my HbA1c again because if it had gone higher it could of put me into the diabetes range and wanted to give me the chance to reduce it before they do another blood test. Her words were once your labelled diabetic its with you for life even if I control it. Part of me wishes that I didn't know.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker
The DN didn't want to do my HbA1c again because if it had gone higher it could of put me into the diabetes range and wanted to give me the chance to reduce it before they do another blood test. Her words were once your labelled diabetic its with you for life even if I control it. Part of me wishes that I didn't know.

But you have had one done recently? If not then you have no idea whether you are pre-diabetic or not. Without really knowing then you don't have much of an impetus to change things. I found that knowing forced me to make changes which have had a major beneficial impact on my life. I am so much healthier now than I was pre-diagnosis I would go so far as to say I have benefitted from being diagnosed. Weird but true. Of course it's your life so you have to decide..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what you are eating?

The reason I ask is because to me, low carb higher fat is foodie heaven. Seriously. There are soooo many delicious and decadent things I eat that I wouldn't ever touch if I were eating NHS standard. I love the way I eat, and find it so enjoyable that I would dread being asked to switch to higher carbs and less of the delicious stuff.

That isn't intended to criticise how you are currently eating. I know that low carbing can take a lot of adjustment, and big changes to the diet, but please be aware that it doesn't have to be miserable deprivation. It can be (as I said above) foodie heaven!

Reactions: KezG

Lilliepop

I really don't enjoy low carb I'm hungry all the time. When I read what people eat on here in a day I'm wondering if they think does this really go together. But I understand this is the way it has to be to keep the carbs down. I can't believe I'm prediabetic my sugar is always high, in the morning it's about 6.7 and in the evening it can go up to 9-10 but it does come down again pretty quick. Two of the Drs I'm under still insisted I'm not a full blown diabetic. My prediabetus is from pills I have to take immunosuppressants. I'm always interested on what people eat I'm grain dairy gluten intolerant and the mornings it's a nightmare on what to eat. I can't even eat free from foods everything has to be fresh. Food is suppose to be one of the pleasures in life it's getting me down and I'm loosing more weight. Sorry for the big moan. Can you tell me some of your favourite things to eat?

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don't enjoy low carb I'm hungry all the time. When I read what people eat on here in a day I'm wondering if they think does this really go together. But I understand this is the way it has to be to keep the carbs down. I can't believe I'm prediabetic my sugar is always high, in the morning it's about 6.7 and in the evening it can go up to 9-10 but it does come down again pretty quick. Two of the Drs I'm under still insisted I'm not a full blown diabetic. My prediabetus is from pills I have to take immunosuppressants. I'm always interested on what people eat I'm grain dairy gluten intolerant and the mornings it's a nightmare on what to eat. I can't even eat free from foods everything has to be fresh. Food is suppose to be one of the pleasures in life it's getting me down and I'm loosing more weight. Sorry for the big moan. Can you tell me some of your favourite things to eat?

Oh @Lilliepop , sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm not the best at suggesting foods for you, I like all the things you can't eat. Have you looked/posted on the foodie forums?. There must be someone who can help there....

Don't apologise for moaning, at least I can give you a hug, if not any useful advice. :sour::)

Reactions: ickihun

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Coops, I'm in the same boat, Ive been low (well... reduced) carbing for 3 months now as a prediabetic, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to it , it's making me very depressed. I find I am stressing/anxious about food pretty much 24 hours a day, every day. Not being able to cook very well and not having much time, I have a very busy lifestyle, it's incredibly hard. I have up to now been determined to carry on with it but in all honesty I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it up for, at least not without making some changes.
Hi, I was pre diabetic 2-3 yrs ago and did LCHF, lost tons of weight and found a love of life and bike riding. I then began to feel like yourself and fell of the waggon. I then joined a slimming club which was very heavy in carbs and low fat. Fell of the waggon again.
Felt unwell for a year now with lots of horrible symtoms that I ignored. I got fed up and bit the bullet and went back to gp.
Now T2 on meds and haven't felt aswell as I did LCHF when I was prediabetic but I'm getting there.
Please don't give up and keep coming here for support.
Praps change your meals.
All the best
Lisa

Reactions: callyandy

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you have had one done recently? If not then you have no idea whether you are pre-diabetic or not. Without really knowing then you don't have much of an impetus to change things. I found that knowing forced me to make changes which have had a major beneficial impact on my life. I am so much healthier now than I was pre-diagnosis I would go so far as to say I have benefitted from being diagnosed. Weird but true. Of course it's your life so you have to decide..
I have to agree with bulkbiker as I felt like I was running in front of a bullet for a couple of years as a prediabetic.
I did LCHF for about 6 months but struggled, was angry and resentful but healthier. Hence I gave up and went the other way.
I have felt unwell for 12mths now and grieved a while and then went back to yhe nurse after a couple of years and asked for bloods.
Now T2 on metformin, feeling better that I'm diagnosed. I have to deal with it or feel ill.
I'm not as hard on myself thistime round and if I fancy some carbs I have a small amount and then get straight back on it after as I know I will feel like rubbish if I don't. I've also got a bin liner full of smaller clothes I can't wait to get back into!
Please keep on. Praps change your meals. Have you got bored and stuck in a rut like I did?
Goodluck
Lisa

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep hacking at it, it is worth while to prevent PRE becoming T2. When my GP told me I was Pre, and I should stop eating bread & fruit, I threw a complete wobbly. Then a bigger one when the dietician told me to eat Ricecakes instead of bread. Ricecakes have the highest GI of any carb food!!! I used to live on bread (homemade) fruit (out of the garden) and jam (homemade), and avoid cheese and limit red meat 'cos they were high fat. Now I have had to learn to go completely the other way about. I still make bread, but only eat one slice a day, and only eat one fruit a day. For the first few weeks I really floundered, but have gradually adapted, and my poor husband has got used to no potatoes, and I've got used to having a teeny weeny potion if we have pasta or pizza, and I've bought a special mini dessert bowl (about 1 1/2 " across) so I can have the same as him....but a lot less. It is just a matter of getting used to a new set of attitudes. Go gently with yourself and you will get there!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep going, please. You've come so far. What kind of things are you eating? What you miss.? Are you trying to loose weight? Sorry if these questions have been asked. Try to stay with us.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep hacking at it, it is worth while to prevent PRE becoming T2. When my GP told me I was Pre, and I should stop eating bread & fruit, I threw a complete wobbly. Then a bigger one when the dietician told me to eat Ricecakes instead of bread. Ricecakes have the highest GI of any carb food!!! I used to live on bread (homemade) fruit (out of the garden) and jam (homemade), and avoid cheese and limit red meat 'cos they were high fat. Now I have had to learn to go completely the other way about. I still make bread, but only eat one slice a day, and only eat one fruit a day. For the first few weeks I really floundered, but have gradually adapted, and my poor husband has got used to no potatoes, and I've got used to having a teeny weeny potion if we have pasta or pizza, and I've bought a special mini dessert bowl (about 1 1/2 " across) so I can have the same as him....but a lot less. It is just a matter of getting used to a new set of attitudes. Go gently with yourself and you will get there!

Well done on your actions to date. I too have a husband who's going through these changes with me. Bless him. I like your idea of a mini pudding bowl, might adopt that. Thanks

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep going, please. You've come so far. What kind of things are you eating? What you miss.? Are you trying to loose weight? Sorry if these questions have been asked. Try to stay with us.
I'm still going, I can't afford not to. I have been told I have small fibre neuropathy in my feet, likely caused by high BS for a prolonged period. So the low (ish) carb diet continues, I am still eating a small amount of potatoes and bread in the form of Lidl rolls, but only v.small quantities. Struggling with constant hunger despite efforts to eat good fats. Honestly, not really gotten used to LCHF yet, my body, particularly my tummy, seems anti it and would prefer me to go back to my mega carb days!
But I'll persevere, I have to, will research more foods and press on. A1C was down 2 points recently so at least heading in right direction .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that I have been prediabetic for maybe decades but I flourished on the Atkins diet. There is no need to be hungry on a low carb diet - there is always something you can eat, and as long as you eat enough carbs to keep you from feeling feeble you should be find. I needed to eat 60 to 80 gm of carbs a day or I lost weight too quickly, but after over a year of trying to control cholesterol by diet I am a full blown diabetic.
When no carbing I eat no grain, no lentils no starchy vegetables, no alcohol. The carbs from those foods affect me more than others, so not only are some calories 'real' and some 'illusory', so some carbs are 'heavier' than others.
I have only been diagnosed for 10 days, but feel so much better, and younger too.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Juicetin, we may be in a somewhat similar boat, health-wise: I have neuropathy too, I did a venous blood test with the doc, it came out as the equivalent of 13.2 mmol, but when I did another test 2 weeks later, it came out as 5.8, so basically I have diabetes, but there may be some sort of chance I could be pre-diabetic, or early stages, or whatever. In any event, I'm aiming for a much lower test next time. I now try to keep my carbs and sugar very low: no starch, no fruit, nothing that grows underground, and I'm a lot less hungry now than I was back when I had my high-carb, totally-unaware-of-diabetes diet. Stuff like bread would spike me and make me hungrier. I wonder if the starch you are allowing yourself make you feel more, rather than less hungry?