Injections. Or pump?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Guess I will find out soon as after 50yrs I am going on a pump. I am a little scared but I am determined to go for it. One thing I will say is that when on MDI, I have made mistakes with my dose (very occasionally). I once did the basal dose on my bolus insulin. With a pump it should be possible to see what is happening.
Though 5 years ago I did not consider one, we can all change with time and experiences. Hope I do alright

Reactions: Gaz-M

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pump didn't make me a prisoner - it gave me back my freedom and made me feel normal for the first time since diagnosis.
I feel the same as you on this one.

Making the decision to go for it was massive - there were so many 'what ifs?' - but in the end I have ended up regretting not trying to find out more about them a couple of decades ago. That said, I wasn't ready then. I didn't recognise that despite ideal HbA1cs on MDI there was actually something different out there that might make things easier as far as day-to-day stuff was concerned.

I had such fear of breaking what essentially - although only in diabetes terms - didn't need fixing.

Since moving from MDI onto a pump last year I have found improvements in my diabetes life and all other aspects of life, because life for me on MDI was 95% diabetes and only 5% other stuff.

But by golly I took a great deal of time and research before I took that step towards pumping.

Huge respect to pumpers and non-pumpers alike - we all are doing the very best we can, and there is not a 'one size fits all' answer.

:)

Last edited:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I can understand concerns with mechnical problems. But let's face it do we worry about our cars that we drive and look how complicated those are. Cars can also kill and most of us do not have a new one every 3 years. With the back up that pump companies provide. Though I am getting older, I am not afraid of new technology and I think unless I try it I will not know. Maybe it will not work for me, but I will find out.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For mechanical probs my fear is that people do not actually report them enough.
6 years ago I was adamant their was a fault with accuchek flexplus cannulas.. nobody here reported problems although some had a few problems.. then I was having problems with Insight steel cannulas.. and reported and they were withdrawn... and still not back.
Only by reporting incidents fully and being vigilant and reporting to the manufacturer and the MHRA will things improve.
Quality for pumps still needs improving.
I spoke to a
Financial administrator for pumps last week and was talking about Accuchek and she said they had a lot of probs with Accuchek cannulas.. and also they no longer give DANA pumps as the DANA pump batteries died without warning and were specific DANA batteries.

To me, if these faults were being logged by patients
With MHRA as we all should do then quality issues should have been ironed out a lot better by now.

Accuchek did change from plasticto glass vials.. they listened and acted to airbubbles being a problem.

I've been a "love my pump" to "hate my pump" and no longer know what to do.

Have got go ahead for pump and CGM but its finding the right one for me and none of them have every feature that I would like. If one does a long tube, it doesn't have a full functioning remote, or steel cannulas... my MDT team is trying to decide whats best to get but if the cannulas keep blocking again the only real option left to me is a diaport... and that to me is not a nice option at all.

iHs

Sadly in life, we all have to make some degree of compromise over what we want and what we get.
I've seen the 640G and it looks similar to the Vibe. I could easily stash it in centre of my lycra t shirt type bra or in the top of my lycra knickers. On the rare occasions when using a pump to bolus might be a bit difficult, I just use my pen and think nothing of it. It's done and dusted within 2-3 mins if that.
I loved the Combo because of the handset but there were times when the handset played up with BSD. ...Black screen of death so had to use the pump anyway or just use my pen.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I was on injections over 53 years and gratefully accepted a pump and CGM some 18 months ago,it has improved my "hypo" awareness and I think a long way back to being a normal diabetic,thank god,no more problems of being frightened to go to sleep in case I went hypo.I can actually go out on my own without worrying.To me my pump has been a life saver.If only I could have got one 54 odd years ago.As you can see I am very happy with my pump.Just as a note I never had an problems with MDI and blood/glucose control.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's what I have to try and balance in my mind....

Peace of mind overnight and no need to wake 4 hours before getting up and an hour before getting up as well compared to
The horribleness of wearing it... After mastectomy I do not want more attention drawn to me that I am lopsided so would not wear around my neck or near my flat side..night time is difficult too as I still have chronic pain in ribs from mastectomy and the radiotherapy so my arm would have been my favoured place.

Just waiting to hear the MDT thoughts on choice for me. Should hear Tuesday. The vibe is definitely out as doesn't even have a meter that connects to pump...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The benefits of a pump far outweigh any ickiness - to the point where I am now convinced my pump is actually really cool!
And if your pump looked like this it would be even cooler:
touch-screen-insulin-pump-approved-by-fda-big.jpg

Reactions: Gaz-M

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone!!!

My appointment went well. It was very emotional for me.

I'm going to be going on the pump after Christmas. They've said it will be January-February time :)

Got some tasks to do in the mean time. Got to test me sugars at 00.00 04.00 and 08.00 everyday I'm not in placement to get a baseline they've said. And I've got to go back on the 21st November.

Hopefully all this hard work will pay off :) xx

Reactions: noblehead

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have looked into the pump and a friend showed me theirs i am less against it but still too invasive for my liking. However if it helps improve my diabetes then il be all for it

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
i have looked into the pump and a friend showed me theirs i am less against it but still too invasive for my liking. However if it helps improve my diabetes then il be all for it
It will, no question about it.

Regards

Martin

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Hey everyone!!!

My appointment went well. It was very emotional for me.

I'm going to be going on the pump after Christmas. They've said it will be January-February time :)

Got some tasks to do in the mean time. Got to test me sugars at 00.00 04.00 and 08.00 everyday I'm not in placement to get a baseline they've said. And I've got to go back on the 21st November.

Hopefully all this hard work will pay off :) xx
Excellent. If i may i can fully recommend a book also, called "Think like a pancreas". I found this more understandable.

Regards

Martin

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
At the London meetup there are at least 7 of us on the pump so lots of experience to draw on