What caused my T1 diagnosis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was my ex husband who caused my type 1, the shock and stress made my body attack it's self and it has continued to do so :rolleyes:My sister who is 13 months younger than me, she didn't get it and like most people in life, life is filled with hi's and low's, the good the bad and the ugly, also it is an autoimmune condition. I was 31.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I have spoken to lots of PWD who have had a stressful time in life just before dx, could definitely be a link there

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing at all, its your body attacking the insulin producing glands ,it can come on from birth ,or as mine did at the age of 14; 55 years ago

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Nothing at all, its your body attacking the insulin producing glands ,it can come on from birth ,or as mine did at the age of 14; 55 years ago
That's hit the nail on the head right there, still doesn't stop you wondering when you are first diagnosed though. And annoyingly no real proof of causes exist conclusively

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's hit the nail on the head right there, still doesn't stop you wondering when you are first diagnosed though. And annoyingly no real proof of causes exist conclusively

I agree somewhat, but still blaming it on my Ex ;)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 15 when diagnosed and I cant recall ever having any stressful times leading up to it......thats not to say my body wasn't under any but that it was just unnoticed by me.....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I often wonder whether there's more than one cause of Type 1. I know that most people with the Type 1 genes do not get Type 1 so finding the environmental trigger would be a huge advance. I was gobsmacked when the consultant told me that they didn't know what caused it. I asked when I was diagnosed.

Evidence suggests not being breastfed increases your chances of getting Type 1 (or not being breastfed long enough). I read an interesting theory about the 'leaky gut' idea - that a so-called leaky gut allows foreign particles to get through the gut wall when they wouldn't normally. These then trigger an auto-immune attack and in Type 1 the beta cells get targeted. That all fits with the breadtfeeding thing, and also fits with the increased risk to babies born by C section who don't get the beneficial bacteria that a natural delivery would give them.

So my guess is that it's to do with the gut - a leaky gut, wrong bacteria, etc :)

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again to state the obvious it's an auto-immune caused by the body attacking it's self. No cause to the individual it's all down to the body and is no fault of the individual ;so stop worrying and do the best you can do and do follow a busy life-style and then you may get to see 70 plus as I have with type 1

Reactions: Dodo

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know no one really knows what brings it on but I believe it's part of the human condition that the not knowing forces your mind into overthinking it...it's like you need something that you can pin it on. I would imagine that all of us here whether right or wrong have got their very own reason whether it be stress, flu...shock or even a dodgy ex husband because it makes it easier to deal with in some way if you can blame something...or someone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know no one really knows what brings it on but I believe it's part of the human condition that the not knowing forces your mind into overthinking it...it's like you need something that you can pin it on. I would imagine that all of us here whether right or wrong have got their very own reason whether it be stress, flu...shock or even a dodgy ex husband because it makes it easier to deal with in some way if you can blame something...or someone

Hi Natalie, it's just my way of coping with it (and a little dig at the Ex ;)) I didn't have type 1 when we were married for 13 years, then when he leaves, I get type 1, go figure lol,
I have other auto immune conditions too, which came during a very worrying, stressful and anxious 5 months.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Natalie, it's just my way of coping with it (and a little dig at the Ex ;)) I didn't have type 1 when we were married for 13 years, then when he leaves, I get type 1, go figure lol,
I have other auto immune conditions too, which came during a very worrying, stressful and anxious 5 months.

Hi @Robinredbreast. It made me chuckle to be honest...but thinking about it...I've always blamed mine on a really bad bout of flu that I'd had a couple of months earlier but you saying that has made me wonder if I should also blame my ex...as he ran off with the babysitter only a few weeks earlier...it's a distinct possibility lol ;)