Frozen shoulder

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds exactly like me. It was 4 weeks till I plucked up courage to go to doc he sent me for physio.

Yeh it's funny as sometimes it seems almost back to normal, then it flares up again. I can't seem to lay on it without it hurting though.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
hmm maybe that's my problem... mine radiates down my arm and up my neck when really bad. It feels like nerve pain too.
Going on holiday in July dreading it if this doesn`t ease up. If its not one thing its another what are we like.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I know that feeling as they have checked my reflexes in both arms I have it in the right arm but not in the left side as that is where my frozen shoulder is and at the moment I am trying to stretch it out like what the physio has told me but that doesn't seem to work either
Sounds like what my physio tells me to do too, hasn`t done much for me at the moment, oh well will have to see what he says next week, was thinking of asking him to send me for an xray.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had a X ray and ultrasound on my shoulder but the next one is a mri scan on it and it is the needle and after that if it still doesn't work out surgery and that is what I have been told is left for me now

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering what is the deal with my right shoulder in the last few weeks. I'm not sure I have a frozen shoulder though as I can still move it. It just hurts and all the muscles around it ache. I have been using heat packs and voltaren gel on it. I haven't gone to my doc about it as fed up with visiting docs at the moment. I'm going to have to see my doc though in about a week or so to get more scripts so may ask him then. More than likely I'll get told I should get physio. Whatever it is, it's hasn't gone away and I don't recall any injury to it. It could be from using the mouse at work maybe... not sure. I'm already on 25mg amitriptyline and 25mg of baclofen for other things so those 2 drugs could be masking it a bit maybe.

I hope your shoulder heals up quicker than 24 months :eek: I'm sure the physio would help.

@Mep
I have had what sounds like exactly the Same thing as u for months now. I first thought it was a trapped nerve, but I'm not so sure now. I also work at a desk, song always put it down to that!
Think I might ask the doc next time I go

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am able to move my arm as normal just I can't carry or lift anything in it I also get pins and needles in my fingers and hands because of it which is another symptom which you may get but it goes after a while and if you use a vehicle and it hits a speed humps or a pot hole it sends it into pain

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am able to move my arm as normal just I can't carry or lift anything in it I also get pins and needles in my fingers and hands because of it which is another symptom which you may get but it goes after a while and if you use a vehicle and it hits a speed humps or a pot hole it sends it into pain

Yeh so far I've noticed mine really acts up if I use the computer mouse, do some crochet, lift something heavy, lay on my right side so I'm laying on my shoulder. If I lay on it that's when I wake up with numb fingers... other than that I've not noticed numb fingers... just shooting pain either up or down and the aching. Whatever it is I've had it for weeks (I've lost count... thought it was 3 weeks but come to think of it I think it may have been longer now). The voltaren gel seems to help it so that is why I'm figuring it is something to do with my nerves maybe.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using the same gel but it didn't work for me and I have had to start sleeping on my other side and if I sleep on that side it still hurts me but I have to keep my arm as straight as normal down the side of me until I get a sleep but as soon as I turn on to my left side I am up straight away as of the pain in it

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the same gel but it didn't work for me and I have had to start sleeping on my other side and if I sleep on that side it still hurts me but I have to keep my arm as straight as normal down the side of me until I get a sleep but as soon as I turn on to my left side I am up straight away as of the pain in it

Yeh not good :( Mine just aches and I wonder if my arm may fall off after I've laid on it. It takes a while to settle down. But it's hard because I can only sleep on my back and my right side because of my other health conditions. I can't seem to sleep at all on my left and when I try the gas inside me builds up so much I wind up with heart palpitations after half an hour at the most. It is annoying. Now I've got this shoulder thing going on I sort of am stuck on my back and every time I do go on to my right side I regret it.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't sleep much on my back but I don't have any other problems other than the shoulder and type 2 Diabetes Insulin controlled but I try not to worry about it much

brush

I can't sleep much on my back but I don't have any other problems other than the shoulder and type 2 Diabetes Insulin controlled but I try not to worry about it much
At Last! I,ve had pain in my shoulder for a few weeks. People keep asking if I,ve lifted anything heavy, or maybe its because I,ve been using the lawnmower? I,m type 2, but on various diabetic tablets, but also now on isulin. I,ve been on it for about six months. At least I now know its down to the medication!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At Last! I,ve had pain in my shoulder for a few weeks. People keep asking if I,ve lifted anything heavy, or maybe its because I,ve been using the lawnmower? I,m type 2, but on various diabetic tablets, but also now on isulin. I,ve been on it for about six months. At least I now know its down to the medication!

Sorry, I don't quite understand how you made the link from a pain in your shoulder to medication, unless I've missed something.

My Physio said, that in her experience, frozen shoulders were much more common in Type 1's. I'm T2 and had two, though what the link between D and FS is I have no idea.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have two frozen shoulders. First the right (about 2002/3) and my GP gave me a cortisone injection ( but never again though:inpain:) and physio, which helped tremendously. Also, in the left shoulder too, but I find it's best to keep using them as much as possible and I do stretches every morning.
Best thing for me is, 'use it or lose it'.
True frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) is not helped by steroid injections but sadly not many GPs seem to know this or confuse it with fibromyalgia which may be helped with steroids. There is no reliable treatment or cure for FS other than time and pain relief but sometimes manipulation may help.

tpotty235

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi i am on my second frozen shoulder.First one lasted for about 4 years with trying with physio,accupuncture and injections before i had an op that freed the shoulder up,then about 6 months till i was nearly pain free.In the mean time i broke my back,and then the 2nd shoulder .Anyway to cut story short i had op on the right one,surgeon said it was worst hed seen.Because i could only sleep on left side and not back,and i have been in the worst pain since having it done in September 15.Have done all the exercises and have finally been prescribed pain patches which have started to help,but this has not helped my state of mind.I have T2 since 1990 and it certainly does not get any better.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The link I got told was that type 2 Diabetics get frozen shoulder common than than any other type of diabetes and that was off a physio who has treated it as he just gets them sent to him from the gp or hospital and he said he type 2 Diabetics get it more common and it normally had something to do with a injury or something you have done to it but I have done nothing to it just woke up one day and had a pain and a problem with movement and pins and needles in my fingers and hands because of it and a couple of months later a pain to my neck and I found out it was a trapped nerve

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jordi77 I finished my physio yesterday and will still keep on with the exercises so I thought I would ping and see how yours was going.
Better I hope.
Hj

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hmm maybe that's my problem... mine radiates down my arm and up my neck when really bad. It feels like nerve pain too.

I got diagnosed with this yesterday

shoulder impingement syndrome

Sounds jus like how you describe. Apparently a steroid injection is the way forward. It took about 10 mins and should last 3 months.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed with this yesterday

shoulder impingement syndrome

Sounds jus like how you describe. Apparently a steroid injection is the way forward. It took about 10 mins and should last 3 months.

oh interesting... I hope your shoulder recovers well.

Since I wrote the reply my shoulders did get better, but then I had a car accident. So I've just finished physiotherapy last week. I have to keep using heat on my neck and shoulders. But I'm a lot better and just get periodical nerve pain and aching at times.

Reactions: Kevin259

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sorry for not replying to all of you but anyway I have been discharged from the physio as I have most of the use of my shoulder now just got to see what the doctor wants to do now as had the operation in December and I started to see the physio within a week to start the exercises and now I can use it for some things but I still can't lift really heavy things yet but I am getting there and I am building up the muscle again that I have lost due to the frozen shoulder but it is not as painful as it was which seems a life time ago and now I am able to feel my arm a lot more but I still get pins and needles in my fingers and that is off damage to the nerves as the physiotherapist told me and they never said if it will get better or not

Reactions: hankjam and azure

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 here and I have had frozen shoulder in BOTH of my shoulders