Pump Users: Need feedback.

bridia12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am in the unusual position of qualifying for a pump but my family do not want me to use one! I am not IT-literate and am prone to lose or mis-set gadgets. My memory is ok and I like routines - I have been Type 1 for 17 years and no complications yet. I do a lot of exercise and have stress at work [what a surprise!] .Would be nice to get feedback on my position. Thank you in advance.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to be especially it literate to use a pump. You've got on the forum & posted a message so I think you're doing alright. If you can use a phone or a calculator you'll probably be ok with a pump.

If you are concerned the technology might be beyond you there are things you could do to see if your concerns are justified:
1. Get hold of a copy of "pumping insulin" a text book on how to get the most out of an insulin pump - gives a good idea of the kind of decisions a pumper needs to make daily
2. Identify what pump you would be going for, see if you can have a play with a dummy model at the clinic, download the instruction manual and read it

As for losing gadgets, if you get a pump that's constantly attached to you it will be fairly difficult to lose it!

Maybe discuss your concerns with the pump clinic and see what they think.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bridia12 :)

What does your DSN think? If they think you can manage a pump, then that's promising.

You can't lose a pump as its attached to,you (unless you choose to remove it). I don't think my pump is hard to,use, and I'm not particularly technically minded.

Have you had a chance to look at pumps and see what you think?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @bridia12 - Why is your family against you using one ?

Ultimately using a pump will give you much better control particularly with exercise and stress as you can program in different settings to adjust for these events, you can tweak your settings as well as download your data and be able to see patterns and adjust accordingly, they aren't rocket science and are great for getting improved control, but they do require work which your nurse will help you with.

Also have a look at youtube as there are some vids from pump users on their who discuss how they manage with theirs.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am not IT-literate and am prone to lose or mis-set gadgets.

You don't need to be IT literate, your DSN & Pump Rep will show you how the pump works and to use it accordingly, there isn't too many gadgets to lose :)

I do a lot of exercise and have stress at work [what a surprise!] .Would be nice to get feedback on my position.

A pump would be ideal for both scenario's, you'll learn and discover this once you start pumping insulin.

Good luck and keeps us updated on your progress.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to be especially it literate to use a pump. You've got on the forum & posted a message so I think you're doing alright. If you can use a phone or a calculator you'll probably be ok with a pump.

If you are concerned the technology might be beyond you there are things you could do to see if your concerns are justified:
1. Get hold of a copy of "pumping insulin" a text book on how to get the most out of an insulin pump - gives a good idea of the kind of decisions a pumper needs to make daily
2. Identify what pump you would be going for, see if you can have a play with a dummy model at the clinic, download the instruction manual and read it

As for losing gadgets, if you get a pump that's constantly attached to you it will be fairly difficult to lose it!

Maybe discuss your concerns with the pump clinic and see what they think.
If you wanted @bridia12, I could give you a copy of 'Pumping Insulin' - if you're happy to cover the postage (should be £2 or so). It's the 4th edition (we're currently on the 6th edition) but all the theory and information is still relevant.

Let me know what you think:)

Grant

Reactions: himtoo and Juicyj

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am in the unusual position of qualifying for a pump but my family do not want me to use one! I am not IT-literate and am prone to lose or mis-set gadgets. My memory is ok and I like routines - I have been Type 1 for 17 years and no complications yet. I do a lot of exercise and have stress at work [what a surprise!] .Would be nice to get feedback on my position. Thank you in advance.
If you can use a smartphone then you can use a pump. Oh hang on I never got the hang of my smartphone and don't have a problem with my pump :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you would be fine with the pump as long you don't become overwhelmed.

It can be used simply, and function just like MDI with a few button presses, and you can easily learn a routine. It can also be much more complicated and do many things - If you know your limits and know the basics you should be fine.

I only say this because i did my pump training with a very lady who was in her 60s and she never got the hang of the pump, and ended up claiming it was overwhelming and that she didnt feel safe because she couldn't figure it out and backed out of getting it.

Also - you very likely wont loose it because it should be attached to you for 98% of your week, if you forget to put it in your pocket you'll feel it hanging behind you and quickly remember lol

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
i was issued with a pump yesterday. All i can say is WOW. brilliant. Less than an hour after having it I went into the hospital cafe, had beans on toast. I put the carbs into the pump as well as my blood sugar reading and pressed go. In 2 secs it was in. Sorry but there was a lot of tears running down my face. JOY.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cried too, @richyb - when I clicked the tubing onto my cannula on my pump start day about this time last year, and realised that this was the new me, I was utterly, utterly overwhelmed with emotion.

Hope it's going well for you! I encountered the inevitable getting-started hurdles, but I loved it from the start.

Thank you for sharing your JOY in your post above. I've got goosebumps - I felt exactly the same!

:happy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i was issued with a pump yesterday. All i can say is WOW. brilliant. Less than an hour after having it I went into the hospital cafe, had beans on toast. I put the carbs into the pump as well as my blood sugar reading and pressed go. In 2 secs it was in. Sorry but there was a lot of tears running down my face. JOY.

Great post @Richy , we all know that you've longed to go on to a inulin pump. Best wishes and hope it all goes well.

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been on the Combo pump for 3 years and am over 60 so don't worry about not being IT literate. I use the handset which is so forgiving but is a total deal breaker for me. It means that the pump just sits wherever on my body and I can forget it and everything can be done from the handset. Truly amazing.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
thanks for that I have now put a thread on.