Vitamins D3, K2 and Type 2 Diabetes.

Barryandjohn

Hi

I posted a thread earlier in the year but cant seem to find it now so I'll do a new one.

I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic last year and due to all medications making me ill I was put in insulin. My HbA1C rose from 56 to 71.

After doing a lot of research and discovering reports from Spain, Italy and Israel that there is a link between lack of vitamin D3 and type 2 diabetes I started taking vitamin D3 back in May.

The doctor was adamant I could not and would not come off insulin and said that I should not take too high a level of D3. So I stopped taking the insulin, boosted my intake of D3 to 30,000 ius a day and took vitamin K2. I also went on a diet of eat what you like as long as the daily total does not exceed 1200 calories. And do it right, that is a lot of food. Carbs were cut right back.

Within a month / six weeks my HbA1C had fallen back to 56 and my daily check on blood sugars levels was way under ten.

Four months on my latest HbA1C is 41! I am no longer classed as diabetic. The retina damaged detected last year has healed itself and I am feeling better than I ever have in a long time. My weight has come done by 19 kilos / 40 lbs and my waist is down from 42 to 32!

So, take responsibility for what you eat. Take advise from your doctor always but take the D3 and K2 if not at the levels I was on (I am back to 10,000 ius a day now) and see if you too can cut your blood sugar levels back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 75Bedford

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those sources do not take into account the importance of vit K2 and its relationship with Vit D.
Actually, in this day and age, for any supposedly professional body to give out information on D without talking about K2 at the same time is tantamount to being criminally negligent. In my humble opinion.

The important thing is the relationship between K2 and D3. Vit D is only 'unwise' in large quantities in the absence of sufficient K2.

It is also incongruous to quote 2,000iu/day as an upper limit when doctors regularly prescribe much larger amounts.

This source gives a much more rounded view. Well worth the hour + it takes to watch.

Personally I found it took a year of supplementing 10,000iu/day + K2 to rectify my Vit D deficiency, at which point I dialled it back to a maintenance dose of 2,000iu/day + sunlight +K2

Reactions: amber22

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In July 2013 I was found to have severe vitamin D deficiency.
I was prescribed 60,000 I.U. vitamin D3 capsules per day for 5 days followed by 20,000 I.U per fortnight for 8 weeks.

Reactions: Liam1955 and JimH
A

asparagusp

In July 2013 I was found to have severe vitamin D deficiency.
I was prescribed 60,000 I.U. vitamin D3 capsules per day for 5 days followed by 20,000 I.U per fortnight for 8 weeks.

Through the NHS? .....

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I was found to be lacking in Vit D months ago whilst having blood test to find out what type of Arthritis I have in my Lower Spine. And I was prescribed on prescription Vit D3 (Cholecalciferol) drops 4 a day by Rheumatologist.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Those sources do not take into account the importance of vit K2 and its relationship with Vit D.
Actually, in this day and age, for any supposedly professional body to give out information on D without talking about K2 at the same time is tantamount to being criminally negligent. In my humble opinion.

The important thing is the relationship between K2 and D3. Vit D is only 'unwise' in large quantities in the absence of sufficient K2.

It is also incongruous to quote 2,000iu/day as an upper limit when doctors regularly prescribe much larger amounts.

This source gives a much more rounded view. Well worth the hour + it takes to watch.

Personally I found it took a year of supplementing 10,000iu/day + K2 to rectify my Vit D deficiency, at which point I dialled it back to a maintenance dose of 2,000iu/day + sunlight +K2
My sister was prescribed 10,000iu day units when she was vitamin D deficient.

Reactions: Liam1955

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
The interesting bit was when I went to the doctors the last time and mentioned about getting a supplement for vitamin D3 (which was recommended by my MG consultant because as he said "most of us living in the UK likely are deficient") I got a very blank look! Very worrying when this was supposed to be the diabetes doctor!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The interesting bit was when I went to the doctors the last time and mentioned about getting a supplement for vitamin D3 (which was recommended by my MG consultant because as he said "most of us living in the UK likely are deficient") I got a very blank look! Very worrying when this was supposed to be the diabetes doctor!
Err @Nicksu If you are on preds for MG as I am you should be prescribed Adcal+D3 daily and possibly Alandronic Acid which is taken weekly as I am.you should also be on a stomach protector.

John