My Metformin stopped working just like that what do I do now?

john5220

My metforming I started taking it 2 months ago and it was working fine for like the last 30 days then just like that a couple days ago it pretty much stopped working.

Ok my BG readings used to be about 160 two hours after eating now its 207 or more.

I was prescribed 500mg once a day should I take more? I wonder if my pancreas is gone?

I am 31 years old and I am 255 pounds and 5' 11"

What should I do guys? is this the end for me? I will admit I lapsed and I started back eating white bread and brown rice when I saw the metformin was actually working and I stopped exercising so I didn't feel there was any harm. Maybe it was the worse mistake of my life?

I am surprised this much damage could have been done in just 1 month.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Metformin isn't a cure. It just reduces the availability of the pancreas to release glucose. If you have started back on the foods that cause issues then you know the answer. Stop eating them again.

It is said that met at its maximum dose will lower you BG level by between 30 to 40mg/dl

Have you looked at doing a fast or low carb to reduce your BG levels. I managed to return mine (luckily) to normal within 3 months

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You need to understand that there isn't a magic pill that 'cures' diabetes. Metformin suppresses your liver (which is likely too full of fat) from releasing glucose into your bloodstream.
Fasting/dieting and making a concerted effort to change your lifestyle is the only way to go. Time to get back on the horse and stay on! If you can make significant changes and really get to grips with this nasty condition, you will not only feel much healthier, you'll have loads more energy and you can steer clear of any potential complications.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My metforming I started taking it 2 months ago and it was working fine for like the last 30 days then just like that a couple days ago it pretty much stopped working.

Ok my BG readings used to be about 160 two hours after eating now its 207 or more.

I was prescribed 500mg once a day should I take more? I wonder if my pancreas is gone?

What should I do guys? is this the end for me? I will admit I lapsed and I started back eating white bread and brown rice when I saw the metformin was actually working and I stopped exercising so I didn't feel there was any harm. Maybe it was the worse mistake of my life?

Hang on.. so you stopped eating carbs for a while and got better bloods then you started eating carbs again and the bloods went up? Can you see any link there? Cut out the carbs again and see what happens. Metformin has a limited effect on blood sugar levels.. it was your diet change that was probably helping more so go back to that and you may find you get the good results again.

Reactions: Bebo321

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Metformin does not stop working it is your change in diet and exercise that has made the difference so get back to what you were doing

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
500mg per day is the minimum dose - was there no discussion about a staged increase to 1g if it was tolerated by you? This is more usual, at least in the UK even at the initial prescribing.

Having said that, as already mentioned Metformin can be a help but is not anything like a cure or a suppressant enabling you to resume your previous diet. What dietary advice (if any) have you received or were following? Even 160mg/dl is somewhat above the levels you want to be attempting to be.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have known people who when put on Metformin thought that meant they could then eat what they like this is simply not true.

As has been said Metformin helps but it is dietry changes that are the most important factor in getting BG under conrol avoid carbs as much as possible check your bloods regularly and find out what foods you can tolerate and those you can;t and above all when and if your levels start to improve stick to it don;t resume bad eating habits. The fight against diabetes is a marathon not a sprint.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all the others. Metformin only helps to a limited extent, and that is mainly when someone is overweight because it tends to lower the appetite. Diet is the key. It is your return to unsuitable foods that has caused the increase.

Reactions: SWUSA_ and Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will admit I lapsed and I started back eating white bread and brown rice when I saw the metformin was actually working and I stopped exercising so I didn't feel there was any harm. Maybe it was the worse mistake of my life?

There could be a clue here. Metformin is not a powerful drug and made no difference to my blood sugar levels. Changing my diet made a significant difference to my blood sugar levels. Maybe the same is true for you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the posts so far. Don't panic as you won't have suffered any harm. Just keep the carbs down and if necessary suggest to your doc that you increase the Metformin to 1 or 2gm

dorothy454

I was taking 2 ×1000mg of metformin
And 4 ×80 mgs of gliclazide then in the space of a week I was in hospital in spain with bs through the roof the doc took me off all Medstead and but me on 35 mm of insulin a day everything was fine till I went to clinic in UK doc there put me back on metformin 2×500 on top of my insulin bs no different to inulin alone I'm going to stop metformin.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes metformin can not cure diabetes but it does a tiny bit in bettering ones insuline resistance... like a stick to lean at maybe under 10% in helping the condition maybe even lower like 5% or less..
90% of the job in lowering ones blood glucose comes from dieting and actually resistance training and moving around like doing brisk walks..
resistance training can help get ones insuline resistance down with as much as 30% if you do do excercise like seriously about 3 days a week.. resistance training s really one of the best ways to better ones condition of diabetes type 2 combined with a consistant low carb food style...
I think you take a very low amount of metformin, I myself get 2 x 850mg every day..

Last edited:

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to muddy the waters, although I agree absolutely 100% with the replies, I used to get my Metformin from a Pharmacist who dispensed them in bulk, i.e. not in blister packs. Suddenly they stopped having any effect. I got my next prescription from a different pharmacy, in blister packs. These worked. I guess there are counterfeit drugs around and dodgy pharmacies...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

As has already been mentioned, 4 X 500 mg can be tolerated, your GP will probably increase if there is a need, but do it in steps, not all at once and perhaps go for the Sustained Release (SR) or Extended Release (ER) version which may not have such bad side effects.

You lapsed, there's part of the problem, you have to keep doing what you're doing, to keep the numbers down.

And you stopped exercising, no surprise that the numbers went back up.

You'd done well to get your numbers down but it's not a cure, it's a new way of life, a new regime to stick to.

john5220

Metformin isn't a cure. It just reduces the availability of the pancreas to release glucose. If you have started back on the foods that cause issues then you know the answer. Stop eating them again.

It is said that met at its maximum dose will lower you BG level by between 30 to 40mg/dl

Have you looked at doing a fast or low carb to reduce your BG levels. I managed to return mine (luckily) to normal within 3 months

Hi there so I started back my diet, I bought chicken breast to Grill and Sweet Potatoes and Black beans. I stopped the bread and rice completely once again.

And I have noticed that my BG has gone down. Its now reading 170 at about 2 hours after my meal which is a lot better than the white bread that used to be 210 and more.

So maybe as I keep this up again and do some more exercise I can bring it back down to the 130 range.

Reactions: Bebo321

john5220

You need to understand that there isn't a magic pill that 'cures' diabetes. Metformin suppresses your liver (which is likely too full of fat) from releasing glucose into your bloodstream.
Fasting/dieting and making a concerted effort to change your lifestyle is the only way to go. Time to get back on the horse and stay on! If you can make significant changes and really get to grips with this nasty condition, you will not only feel much healthier, you'll have loads more energy and you can steer clear of any potential complications.

Thank you so much your words are so encouraging. I have started back my exercise and my strict diet control again hopefully one day I can remove the fat from my liver my new goal is to also drop the 100 pounds of fat I have.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there so I started back my diet, I bought chicken breast to Grill and Sweet Potatoes and Black beans. I stopped the bread and rice completely once again.

And I have noticed that my BG has gone down. Its now reading 170 at about 2 hours after my meal which is a lot better than the white bread that used to be 210 and more.

So maybe as I keep this up again and do some more exercise I can bring it back down to the 130 range.

wow thats fine well done !

john5220

well then look at that I am now hitting 140 BG post meal on my second day. I also bought new Met Formin as my other ones were old. So not sure if the new batch might be whats making a difference.

Hoping tomorrow I will return to 130 bg post meal, time to make sure I keep up my diet and exercise.

I mainly eat Grill Bar B Que Chicken and Bar B Que Beans

I swear every time I think my life is over I come to this forum and all is well again.

Last edited:
Reactions: phaedree and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Just to muddy the waters, although I agree absolutely 100% with the replies, I used to get my Metformin from a Pharmacist who dispensed them in bulk, i.e. not in blister packs. Suddenly they stopped having any effect. I got my next prescription from a different pharmacy, in blister packs. These worked. I guess there are counterfeit drugs around and dodgy pharmacies...

I have had a similiar experience with different batches of Metformin. One bottle smelt "fishy" and did not work but next at same dosage did-although I also agree with above posts that change back to whitebread diet and no exercise is probably much more to blame at this low dose of metformin.

Eat well and exercise-you can do it!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well then look at that I am now hitting 140 BG post meal on my second day. I also bought new Met Formin as my other ones were old. So not sure if the new batch might be whats making a difference.

Hoping tomorrow I will return to 130 bg post meal, time to make sure I keep up my diet and exercise.

I mainly eat Grill Bar B Que Chicken and Bar B Que Beans

I swear every time I think my life is over I come to this forum and all is well again.
Watch out for the beans.. quite carby and sauces can have sugar.. salad or green veg would be much better (as well as tastier).