Items Labelled "Diabetic"

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are actually useful for the diabetic foot in case of neuropathy to avoid irritations. They are made without stitches and the tissue used isn't rough internally.
Just to be a pedant, but what happens if the sock is put on inside out? My normal socks don't have stitches either.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to be a pedant, but what happens if the sock is put on inside out? My normal socks don't have stitches either.
I think you'll risk some foot skin irritation.
The problem is that if one puts socks in reverse and doesn't care abouut daily foot check cleansing and check routine, a small irritation could cause bigger problems.

A page describing socks for diabetics, from the site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-socks.html

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This alwahs makes me laugh.....in the waiting area in diabetes centre a screen with advice says ...do not buy foods labelled for diabetics. .....yet in my job I've delivered hundreds of cases of ice cream tubs to the same hospital....labelled diabetic ice cream !!

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
This alwahs makes me laugh.....in the waiting area in diabetes centre a screen with advice says ...do not buy foods labelled for diabetics. .....yet in my job I've delivered hundreds of cases of ice cream tubs to the same hospital....labelled diabetic ice cream !!
It's a joke that's for sure

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a joke that's for sure
Bureaucracy at its finest, same thing.
Maybe sugar free ice cream was on the bid.
The boxes if the ice cream are labelled for diabetics by the marketing dept of the ice cream makers.
Meanwhile the doctor are following the guidelines

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
The thing is why aren't the government doing anything about it and more importantly why don't the BMA speak up on the issue

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think one of the first things most of us T2s are told by our health care staff is to steer WELL CLEAR of anything labelled 'diabetic'. They are usually low sugar, with lots of other carbs many of which are laxative, low fat, and full of rubbish and additives.

Diabetic chocolate is an abomination. And the icecream isn't even worth the name.

One of the things I like most about www.dietdoctor.com is the emphasis on natural and unprocessed foods.

These threads kind of sum it up :D:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...etics-labelling-outlawed.104928/#post-1210679

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/boots-diabetic-food-range.86222/#post-975076

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...do-you-differentiate.85303/page-2#post-962206

Might not be relevant (only diagnosed a month a go and still getting the hang of it) but before I was diagnosed I was dairy free and after my diagnosis, I was reading the relevant nutritional info and actually the dairy free ice cream had less carbs than the "diabetic" ice cream, and no doubt tastes a hell of a lot better... :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most things labeld as diabetic friendly or simply "diabetic" are usually direct from satans butthole and best avoided!

They are usually far more expensive too.

He does have all the best tunes....

Nobody ever said he was ***** Cradock.

image.jpeg

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
I enjoy a sugar free sweet now and then and whenever a friend comes over from the US she brings me a selection. We used to see the odd mint over here but now nix. I am told Werthers have introduced something but the choice in the US is huge.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I think all foods currently labelled specifically as Diabetic should be removed from the market. I was told to avoid them by my DN years ago as they either contain loads of poor bulking agents or are simply labelled because no extra sugar is added though in the case of jams very ripe fruit used has high sugar levels, cooking it up releases the sugar.
Personally I use very little of any fruit preserve so use high quality jam but sparingly, the good jams are packed with flavour anyway

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
for a serving size of 40 grams, there are 12 grams of carbs in the 99% Lindt, as per their website and even their 90% is hard to stomach

Montezuma's 100% cocoa mass chocolate. No sugar or sweeteners. 8g carbs in a 100g bar. £2.50 a bar at Sainsburys.