One Year In... thank you all

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed your message when posted but just wanted to add my congratulations! You are one of the folks on the forum that have truely inspired me @bulkbiker i always appreciate your advice and answers to my questions, thanks for being a great diabetic - it helps us all!

I'm even thinking of giving a 3 day fast a go .....

Well done :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed your message when posted but just wanted to add my congratulations! You are one of the folks on the forum that have truely inspired me @bulkbiker i always appreciate your advice and answers to my questions, thanks for being a great diabetic - it helps us all!

I'm even thinking of giving a 3 day fast a go .....

Well done :)
Wow.. if you need anything let me know.. always around.. and good luck if you do.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just finishing up day 2 of a 5 day fat fast. Finally broke through a month long plateau and my sugars went down almost immediately. I am surprised how fast that happened. Problem is I am HUNGRY. I have been in ketosis for a long time and check blood ketone levels each night and they have gone up a hair. 1000 calories, 90% fat, 2 meals a day. I am using a mixture of whipped cream and cream cheese with a bit of sf vanilla extract and some erythritol. Tastes like vanilla cheesecake actually.
I am starting to think @bulkbiker 's bacon fast would be more fun though.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning is the one year anniversary of me being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
I think I found this forum a few days before (joined 22 Oct 2015) being pretty sure that my HbAc would be bad.. and it was 70 or 8.6 although the previous one 2 weeks before was 87 or 10.1 so had improved a bit, not sure how. I decided from that day to try the LCHF way of eating. I also decided to skip breakfast as it was a meal I could miss out easily thus inadvertently starting a 16:8 fasting regime which I have kept up (and sometimes extend) to this day and I think will be my future.
Weight was about 23 stone I think (my scales couldn't weigh me) the heaviest I had ever been. I was wearing size 44 inch waist jeans.
One year on I weigh 16 stone 10 pounds ( at 10 am this morning) waist about 38 inches. Still have some way to go but a lot better than it was.
I think the combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting is what has helped this in journey. I used to believe it was just the diet but reading around I think the combination of the diet and IF work very well together. I rarely feel "hungry", yes there are pangs and when hubby has a chinese takeaway and I'm not eating there are urges..but these are controllable (a mouthful of double cream often helps!).
I have had a huge amount of support and have learnt an enormous amount about how my body works from you lot. So I would really like to say thank you to everyone here (even the ones I disagree with) and hope some of my more stroppy responses are taken in the right way.. I'm only trying to help and share.
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. I needed to mess up my body before I realised I could take control.
If you are newly diagnosed don't despair..there is hope. After all you are here which means you are better informed than most.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark
Inspiring, thankyou from a new T2.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finishing up day 2 of a 5 day fat fast. Finally broke through a month long plateau and my sugars went down almost immediately. I am surprised how fast that happened. Problem is I am HUNGRY. I have been in ketosis for a long time and check blood ketone levels each night and they have gone up a hair. 1000 calories, 90% fat, 2 meals a day. I am using a mixture of whipped cream and cream cheese with a bit of sf vanilla extract and some erythritol. Tastes like vanilla cheesecake actually.

I totally get that. If I have more than a couple of fat bombs a day, I start really disliking the sweetness.
But there are a few savoury fat bomb recipes out there.
One that I loved was basically hardboiled eggs mashed in butter and/or mayo, then rolled into balls with crispy bacon crumbles. Kind of like savoury truffles.

Of course, me being lazy, and not fussy about the presentation, I just made the egg mix and refridgerated it, then used crisped up bacon strips to scoop out a truffle sized blob.

Delish!!!!

Reactions: Ruth26 and chalup

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally get that. If I have more than a couple of fat bombs a day, I start really disliking the sweetness.
One that I loved was basically hardboiled eggs mashed in butter and/or mayo, then rolled into balls with crispy bacon crumbles. Kind of like savoury truffles.

Of course, me being lazy, and not fussy about the presentation, I just made the egg mix and refridgerated it, then used crisped up bacon strips to scoop out a truffle sized blob.

Delish!!!!

now that sounds like a treat I would like.. how did you manage not to eat the whole bowl?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 is usually the worst..your grehlin levels (the hunger hormone) are usually at their highest according to Dr Fung. Personally I wouldn't eat anything but have a coffee with coconut oil and cream to get my fats in. But that's just me.. Good luck with it.. you'll be fine.. my bloods usually get into the 3's on day 3 or 4 .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about that egg on parmesan crisps (other cheese are available)..
Sorry @chalup shouldn't do this when you're fasting...although I usually end up watching cookery programmes.. must be a masochist after all.

Reactions: Brunneria

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am doing ok actually. I sat here and watched 6 other people eating spaghetti tonight and no problem although I stopped eating spaghetti 7 months ago. My bloods have been mostly in the 4's or low 5's since yesterday afternoon so that's an improvement. I do hope I won't be quite so hungry tomorrow though.

Reactions: Indy51 and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am doing ok actually. I sat here and watched 6 other people eating spaghetti tonight and no problem although I stopped eating spaghetti 7 months ago. My bloods have been mostly in the 4's or low 5's since yesterday afternoon so that's an improvement. I do hope I won't be quite so hungry tomorrow though.
That's really great.. I'm impressed.. keep going it will get better.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Delish!!!!
Omg that sounds amazing! What is a fat bomb?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)