Can heavy weight training reverse type 2

rob2465

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Question for all with more knowledge than me. Can heavy weight training and low carb ( about 75gr per day) reverse type 2 diabetes?

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
It might. A lot more information would be needed to make this claim.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure its perfectly possible to keep blood sugars within a " normal" range - whether its also possible to actually reverse the resistance so that you can g back to eating high volume carbs with no impact, I guess is a much less well answered question !

Reactions: Salvia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low carb bit will help no end although personally I'd aim for 20g or less per day. I'm afraid I'm far too lazy to try the heavy weight training although some more extreme forms of exercise can make your blood sugars go up. Walking seems to help lower them for some people. I haven't really changed my exercise amounts much.. just what I eat.

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm sure its perfectly possible to keep blood sugars within a " normal" range - whether its also possible to actually reverse the resistance so that you can g back to eating high volume carbs with no impact, I guess is a much less well answered question !

Physiologically it is possible to increase insulin sensitivity in muscles by 3, 5 or even 10X. I heard of a type one guy that manages his life with 10% of normal insulin levels, that much is his insulin sensitivity.
However, most exercise programs do not make the cut.
The point is: we need a medical physical activity therapy targeting GLUT4 transporters. In my own opinion, a good route implies fast muscle contractions for a little while, a tabata or HIIT protocol. It takes a few weeks to see improvement by home testing.

You can start with a cardiovascular rehabilitation program for people who had heart attacks. That would be the safest route. After 12 or 16 weeks, you could add some HIIT.

Last edited:

rob2465

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thanks for your reply. No other known problems just over weight and bad diet. August Hba1c was 92 last week was 35. Did low carb plus lots of walking and heavy weights, wondered if it could fully reverse type 2. Have also lost 17kgs and intend to lose another 20. Regards Rob

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great to hear!
You are just demonstrating once more that human beings can achieve far more than we thought!

Then you might try to see how your body respond to an OGTT. If it looks great, retest after a while, measuring also C-peptide.
That will give you more confidence that you are going towards true remission. Best, V

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for your reply. No other known problems just over weight and bad diet. August Hba1c was 92 last week was 35. Did low carb plus lots of walking and heavy weights, wondered if it could fully reverse type 2. Have also lost 17kgs and intend to lose another 20. Regards Rob

Lots of factors going on there. :)

From the things you list, I would say that the weight loss and the low carbing will have had a greater impact than the exercise in heading towards reversal, while the walking and weights will have helped tremendously in blood glucose control on a day to day basis, reduced insulin resistance and helped to cope with what carbs you did eat.

The reality is that there is a heck of a lot of debate about what constitutes reversal, and how long term it may be - probably best to accept that your lifestyle changes (which are magnificent, by the way) will need to be permanent in order to maintain your impressive improvements. :)

Hope that helps.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Question for all with more knowledge than me. Can heavy weight training and low carb ( about 75gr per day) reverse type 2 diabetes?
From personal experience I have been waking 30 +~ for 6 years kept my hba1c under 6 /3 metformin per day diet not that strict so yes.Just my knees now giving trouble.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it can for some people revers type 2 diabetes if one is lucky. I read somewhere that steady resistance training can lower insuline resistance by about 30%. but I do think that the best is to improve the bodies allover condition, think of both Health: nutrients, foods, and of getting the whole body in shape... that endurance excercise is equally important...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am trying to see what ramping up my weight training will do over the three months. I laid the foundation first via circuit / HiiT at the gym, along with some weights, T25 and HiiT walking / 1 mile runs and 40 minute static cycles over a year. I did over-train due to trying to manage a lot of carbs, but have made adjustments via low carbing. I am now focusing on 1 cardio / HiiT with 2 compound weight sessions at HiiT pace, I also wear 2 kg ankle weights and 1 kg wrist weights. My research suggests that GLUT4 response improves with resistance training and that after burn literally torches fat (
). I am going by the theory that with more muscle, and GLUT4 assisting glucose uptake by cells, even less insulin activity will occur. 75 grams might be enough to get great results depending on the intensity of your training (1 am at circa 75 - 100) as the diet side of your plan is worth about 80% and will be the dominant factor.