Pumpless holiday?

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Has anyone ever come off their pump temporarily, while going on holiday to sunnier climes? I'm talking about going back on to basal/bolus with pens, not just taking it off! . I'm asking as I'm going on holiday and want to sunbath and enjoy all the spa facilities, but I don't think I will be able to with my pump on.
Thanks

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's certainly doable and you wouldn't be the first to take a pump break whilst holidaying abroad.

Reactions: jackiebee

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Watching what? Not sure what to do with that comment, thanks anyway.
Watching this thread as I am interested too see the answers, by commenting with "watching" every time someone comments I get a notification

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, people do take pump holidays. Sometimes when they go on holiday but sometimes just because they want one.

I've had my pump 12 years and have never taken it off for more than a few hours. Yes, I love it that much! : D

P.S - I think the Watching comment just meant watching this thread as the person is interested too : )

Edited to add - he beat me by a few secs in replying : D

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL Type1bri just been given a pump and he's already watching a thread about taking a pumping holiday...................! :D

Reactions: robert72

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
LOL Type1bri just been given a pump and he's already watching a thread about taking a pumping holiday...................! :D
Got to keep my options open for summer travels next year ATM it would take a crow bar to separate me from this pump, real game changer for my control First weeks numbers
3bec8031927288a684500eb37fd0d478.jpg

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got to keep my options open for summer travels next year ATM it would take a crow bar to separate me from this pump, real game changer for my control First weeks numbers
3bec8031927288a684500eb37fd0d478.jpg

My goodness! I wish i had that amazing control on my pump. I sometimes think I should live in a hole where nothing no and no one can effect my diabetes. lol

Reactions: himtoo

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Has taken a lot of testing and lots of effort but long term will be worth it. Spent the past 2 months getting all my ratios, basal profiles and corrections factors fine tuned whilst on MDI. Having this data made the initial pump settings much closer, just got the afternoon and evening basal profiles left to test now

Reactions: Snapsy

iHs

Good luck with pumping.

They can be very challenging and demanding at times so keep in mind that your bg levels will change direction at times and you might feel deflated because of all the effort you have made trying to get all the settings correct.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah I am ready for the fact that what works well today will all be up the wall next week lol, the joys of T1 life eh!!

Mandy J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great! Thanks very much
I two am going to have a short break from the pump next week. I am going on a spa day for my daughters birthday, and my diabetic nurse said to just start using the pen a day or two before to adjust my BG levels. Don’t forget, as I did before she mentioned it, to reduce your long acting insulin by half when going back onto the pump

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I two am going to have a short break from the pump next week. I am going on a spa day for my daughters birthday, and my diabetic nurse said to just start using the pen a day or two before to adjust my BG levels. Don’t forget, as I did before she mentioned it, to reduce your long acting insulin by half when going back onto the pump
Why are you using long acting insulin when on the pump ?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why are you using long acting insulin when on the pump ?
It's for the day before you go back on your pump.

My pump died on me last year whilst on holiday so was forced for a few days to go back to pens. I would not do this voluntarily in the future if it was possible to remain on my pump, pump control is much better.

One thing I did realise when back on pens, is I treated the fast acting almost like an hourly bolus :)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's for the day before you go back on your pump.

My pump died on me last year whilst on holiday so was forced for a few days to go back to pens. I would not do this voluntarily in the future if it was possible to remain on my pump, pump control is much better.

One thing I did realise when back on pens, is I treated the fast acting almost like an hourly bolus :)
Ah ok, I had a couple of weeks back on pens and control was not so good .

Reactions: Chas C
D

Deleted Account

If I want a break from my pump for a few hours when swimming, at a spa or on the beach, I temporarily disconnect and reconnect every hour for a “basal bolus”: I bolus an hour’s basal.
When on holiday I feel more in need of a pump and would worry about my control without the ability to adjust my basal hourly.
I always take a loaner pump with me so I don’t have to use my pens (which are my backup at home).

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have travelled on many holidays abroad for up to six weeks at a time. Always loan another pump ( Omnipod PDM) as well taking plenty of pods and fast acting insulin disposable pens. Always advised if very hot, or if in sea for long periods as have found occasionally pod has failed. Spend several hours a week at health club including swimming exercise, sauna and jacuzzi never had any problem with pod attached. Although I understand many pumps need to be worn close to body, not carrried separately.