COFFEE!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi friends,
I've read a lot of mixed messages about coffee, and presume it hits different people in different ways, so self-testing is the way to see if you can take it or not.

I had a Bialetti stove top (6 cup model) worth of tesco espresso ground coffee this morning after breakfast. I didn't take a reading before as it was difficult to time around breakfast. I assume I was 4.1-4,5 fasting, then had walnuts and a boiled egg for breakfast, probably raising me to somewhere in the high-fours, low fives?.

Anyway, 1 hour after my coffee (and 1hr 30 after breakfast I suppose), I was 5.3.
Two hours after, I was 4.9.

To me, that looks like coffee doesn't look too harmful for me, at least as far as BG goes. I have heard some people get things like freak spikes after 4 hours though, and would appreciate any info or experiences on coffee.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Like you I get a modest increase but I put that down to the milk or the variation in my test strips. either way I need coffee in my life.

Reactions: Speedbird

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a modest spike when I drink coffee but it soon returns to normal. Coffee is the one thing I'm not giving up but I know it can cause problems for some.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee never raised my bg, but significantly raised my blood pressure. It was give it up or stay permanently on bp tablets.

I gave it up.

Reactions: Freema and Struma

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good point Brunneria- I'd completely forgotten about the blood pressure side of things. That's what I like about this site- the different perspectives. I'll keep an eye on that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point Brunneria- I'd completely forgotten about the blood pressure side of things. That's what I like about this site- the different perspectives. I'll keep an eye on that.

Well, if you do, don't expect your bp to behave like blood sugar does.
I made that mistake. Tested at 2 hours, thought I was fine, and ended up with high bp for over a year, because I didn't think outside the Diabetes Box.

Turned out that for me, a cup of coffee wouldn't start raising my bp until about 4-5 hours after drinking, and then would spike over a 5 hour period, before dropping gently over 3 days.

So one cup gave me raised bp for 72 hours.

If I hadn't had a home bp tester, neither I nor my doc would EVER have spotted it, and since I LOVE coffee, I would probably have been on bp meds for life.

Reactions: Struma

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a mug of coffee with double cream in the morning. I don't know if it raises my bs as I only test when I wake.
But it does raise my blood pressure, I'm not too worried about that as my bp is generally ok.

Reactions: Freema

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Caffeine,
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/285194.php

Type 2 diabetes

In an analysis of data from three large studies, covering a 20-year period, researchers noted that participants who increased their coffee intake by more than one cup a day over a 4-year period had an 1 percent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared with people who did not change their intake.
In addition, people who lowered their daily consumption by more than one cup of coffee showed a 17 percent higher risk for type 2 diabetes.

Interesting.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have three mugs of strong black coffee (heart starters) with no added sugar leading up to breakfast.

I have not seen any difference in readings, but will pay a bit more attention next time I test after breakfast.

Hotpepper20000

Sooooooo....No sugar, no pasta, no quinoa, no rice, no barley, no carrots, no potatoes, no tropical fruit, no stone fruit, and the list goes on.
I am not giving up coffee, that is where I draw the line. If it does spike my BG then I will just exercise more. NOPE line has been drawn.

Hotpepper20000

Black coffee was hard to get used to sugarless, but I will never use that saccharine sweetener **** to spoil my coffee taste again.

Ive never drank anything sweet but for awhile when I was so terrible misinformed I tried to drink coffee with almond milk to cut down on fat. Yuck.
Now I use 36%fat cream -and still managed to loose 45 pounds.
I find I make sure to have good quality beans and then I can drink a double espresso black.

D

Deleted member 308541

zZGVUXE.png

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I always used to drink my coffee sweetened but then was working in a high voltage lab for a couple of years and no one else took sugar so was never available and now it tastes fine to me sweetened or not but will never give it up.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tried another test today 3:30pm, did a random blood test. That came out at 5.2.
I then had a moka pot of black coffee, and took another test after 1hr. The second test was 4.9. Could coffee have lowered the bg reading? I suspect the coffee just didn't raise bg, and I was on a downward trajectory anyway. Can coffee lower bg?

Reactions: Prem51