1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COFFEE!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Geordie_P, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi friends,
    I've read a lot of mixed messages about coffee, and presume it hits different people in different ways, so self-testing is the way to see if you can take it or not.

I had a Bialetti stove top (6 cup model) worth of tesco espresso ground coffee this morning after breakfast. I didn't take a reading before as it was difficult to time around breakfast. I assume I was 4.1-4,5 fasting, then had walnuts and a boiled egg for breakfast, probably raising me to somewhere in the high-fours, low fives?.

Anyway, 1 hour after my coffee (and 1hr 30 after breakfast I suppose), I was 5.3.
    Two hours after, I was 4.9.

To me, that looks like coffee doesn't look too harmful for me, at least as far as BG goes. I have heard some people get things like freak spikes after 4 hours though, and would appreciate any info or experiences on coffee.

2. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Like you I get a modest increase but I put that down to the milk or the variation in my test strips. either way I need coffee in my life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get a modest spike when I drink coffee but it soon returns to normal. Coffee is the one thing I'm not giving up but I know it can cause problems for some.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Coffee never raised my bg, but significantly raised my blood pressure. It was give it up or stay permanently on bp tablets.

I gave it up.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Geordie_P

Good point Brunneria- I'd completely forgotten about the blood pressure side of things. That's what I like about this site- the different perspectives. I'll keep an eye on that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Well, if you do, don't expect your bp to behave like blood sugar does.
    I made that mistake. Tested at 2 hours, thought I was fine, and ended up with high bp for over a year, because I didn't think outside the Diabetes Box.

Turned out that for me, a cup of coffee wouldn't start raising my bp until about 4-5 hours after drinking, and then would spike over a 5 hour period, before dropping gently over 3 days.

So one cup gave me raised bp for 72 hours.

If I hadn't had a home bp tester, neither I nor my doc would EVER have spotted it, and since I LOVE coffee, I would probably have been on bp meds for life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I have a mug of coffee with double cream in the morning. I don't know if it raises my bs as I only test when I wake.
    But it does raise my blood pressure, I'm not too worried about that as my bp is generally ok.

• Like Like x 1
  8. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Interesting.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have three mugs of strong black coffee (heart starters) with no added sugar leading up to breakfast.

I have not seen any difference in readings, but will pay a bit more attention next time I test after breakfast.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Sooooooo....No sugar, no pasta, no quinoa, no rice, no barley, no carrots, no potatoes, no tropical fruit, no stone fruit, and the list goes on.
    I am not giving up coffee, that is where I draw the line. If it does spike my BG then I will just exercise more. NOPE line has been drawn.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Here you go mate, one line. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Hotpepper20000

Yep o_O A person still has to live.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Black coffee was hard to get used to sugarless, but I will never use that saccharine sweetener **** to spoil my coffee taste again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hotpepper20000

Ive never drank anything sweet but for awhile when I was so terrible misinformed I tried to drink coffee with almond milk to cut down on fat. Yuck.
    Now I use 36%fat cream -and still managed to loose 45 pounds.
    I find I make sure to have good quality beans and then I can drink a double espresso black.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Hotpepper20000

I love this. Thanks for the laugh

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I always used to drink my coffee sweetened but then was working in a high voltage lab for a couple of years and no one else took sugar so was never available and now it tastes fine to me sweetened or not but will never give it up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hotpepper20000

;);)
    I figure it might shorten my life a bit but it will feel longer with out coffee anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Geordie_P

Tried another test today 3:30pm, did a random blood test. That came out at 5.2.
    I then had a moka pot of black coffee, and took another test after 1hr. The second test was 4.9. Could coffee have lowered the bg reading? I suspect the coffee just didn't raise bg, and I was on a downward trajectory anyway. Can coffee lower bg?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook