1st time fasting, any tips

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lisajohann2014

Im fairly new to LCHF & fasting too. I have found like bulkbiker said ... missing one meal a day at first actually led me to a place where it became easy to miss lunch as well without feeling hungry.
So now I do either 16:8 or 24 each day ... depending on how I feel.
Haven't yet tried longer ... mainly because my husband thinks I'm mad missing so much food. I'm going slowly to give my body & my hubby's brain time to adjust ;)
Good luck to you x

Reactions: kokhongw

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ruth26,

That's good. I've missed breakfast a couple of times as I've noticed I'm just not hungry. I think I will just see how I feel on the day.
Have you noticed any benefits?
What is 16:8? Is that 16hrs. fast and eat within an 8 hour window. Not eat for 8hrs lol

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ruth26,

That's good. I've missed breakfast a couple of times as I've noticed I'm just not hungry. I think I will just see how I feel on the day.
Have you noticed any benefits?
What is 16:8? Is that 16hrs. fast and eat within an 8 hour window. Not eat for 8hrs lol

Yes 16:8 is an 8hr eating window ... altho it is usually about 6hrs now tbh
I have weight loss - without hunger .... if I do feel hungry during the morning I have a coffee with cream which helps
My Hba1c is back to pre-diabetic range even though I was only diagnosed in June this year
But the best bit is my total exhaustion has disappeared .... I've more energy that I have for years & my head is more clear

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh, I can't wait for all those symtoms to be totally gone. Although they are better than they were. Just get floored for a couple of days now.
Never realised that that was what was wrong with me until I read every bodies posts.

We'll done you've done brilliantly and it's something I can hopefully achieve.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh, I can't wait for all those symtoms to be totally gone. Although they are better than they were. Just get floored for a couple of days now.
Never realised that that was what was wrong with me until I read every bodies posts.

We'll done you've done brilliantly and it's something I can hopefully achieve.

Thank you .... I'm delighted at getting my health back

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lisajohann2014 & @Ruth26
Sounds like you are both doing really well.
Very impressive and very glad to hear you are both feeling so much better.
Keep up the great work and if you need anything just ask.
Regards
Mark

Reactions: Ruth26

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
On metformin - I'm on two a day, which I used to take with breakfast and tea. Then after a few weeks of LCHF I started doing a 24 hour fast once a week, and took both metformin with the one meal that day.

I shared that in another internet place, and someone who self-identified as a pharmacist told me that taking both with one meal would not be as effective as splitting the dose. He also said that although the standard advice is to take it with food to avoid GI effects, not everyone has them.

So I tried taking my metformin on an empty stomach - and I am absolutely fine. Now I take it between 9 and 10 am and 9 and 10 pm, irrespective of when I eat.

Not that I'm telling you to do that because... you know...
Not a doctor.

I'd rather keep on taking it even when fasting, because I want my BG's as low as possible.

Reactions: psignathus

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On metformin - I'm on two a day, which I used to take with breakfast and tea. Then after a few weeks of LCHF I started doing a 24 hour fast once a week, and took both metformin with the one meal that day.

I shared that in another internet place, and someone who self-identified as a pharmacist told me that taking both with one meal would not be as effective as splitting the dose. He also said that although the standard advice is to take it with food to avoid GI effects, not everyone has them.

So I tried taking my metformin on an empty stomach - and I am absolutely fine. Now I take it between 9 and 10 am and 9 and 10 pm, irrespective of when I eat.

Not a doctor.

I'd rather keep on taking it even when fasting, because I want my BG's as low as possible.
Have you tested to see what effect it has on an empty stomach?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I test daily - at least fasting, often other times as well. But there are so many confounding variables I don't think I can tell the difference. My BG was coming down steadily when I made the change to my metformin - but I was also still adjusting to LCHF, and fasting, and trying apple cider vinegar, and losing weight. I'm just working on the basis that having at at even intervals will give me better effect than taking two together.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not a doctor.

Thanks for that info. I'm a bit too scared to try it without food yet. I will pluck up courage tho. Lol

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've missed breakfast twice this week and eaten at 12.
Today I was absolutely starved and the coffee and cream wouldn't have cut it.
Left over moussaka consumed.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've missed breakfast twice this week and eaten at 12.
Today I was absolutely starved and the coffee and cream wouldn't have cut it.
Left over moussaka consumed.

Bless you .... hope you are having a better day today :)

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bless you .... hope you are having a better day today :)
Nope still starving !!???
Might be the weight loss and all the change. But I've not been hungry since starting lchf a few weeks ago. I don't know I give up.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be the weight loss and all the change. But I've not been hungry since starting lchf a few weeks ago. I don't know I give up.

Oh ... don't give up .... I had a really hungry day a few days ago ... ate too much (altho stayed with LCHF food) ... ended up going to bed early to stop myself eating.

Went back to square one the next day & my body seemed to sort itself out. I now haven't eaten since Tues dinner & I feel fine apart from a bit of a headache. Maybe u just need a little bit more LCHF before your body adjusts.

Good luck

Rx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it might be a bit early for you .. maybe up the fats a bit when you eat something or add some coconut oil to your coffee. The fat will make you fuller and so less pangs. You've been low carbing for what 4 weeks ? That's still quite early in the fat adaptation process so please don't beat yourself up. Apart from skipping breakfast I didn't start longer fasting for about 6 month into my LCHF journey so as always if you feel really hungry then have something.. your body will let you know when its ready to fast .

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh ... don't give up .... I had a really hungry day a few days ago ... ate too much (altho stayed with LCHF food) ... ended up going to bed early to stop myself eating.

Went back to square one the next day & my body seemed to sort itself out. I now haven't eaten since Tues dinner & I feel fine apart from a bit of a headache. Maybe u just need a little bit more LCHF before your body adjusts.

Good luck

Rx
Oh I won't give up as I never want to feel so rough as I did before. Loving the healthy feeling!

Gosh you're doing well!!

Thankyou
Lisa

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it might be a bit early for you .. maybe up the fats a bit when you eat something or add some coconut oil to your coffee. The fat will make you fuller and so less pangs. You've been low carbing for what 4 weeks ? That's still quite early in the fat adaptation process so please don't beat yourself up. Apart from skipping breakfast I didn't start longer fasting for about 6 month into my LCHF journey so as always if you feel really hungry then have something.. your body will let you know when its ready to fast .
Yes I think you're right. It is early days. 4th week LCHF but 3 weeks diagnosed. I forget.
Just so eager to get these bms down or reverse Mr.D and lose this mammoth weight.

Trying to run before I can walk!

I've realised i might not be doing high fat and prob eating to much protein. I'll look into that aswell.

Thanks
Lisa