COFFEE!

Billy_Pilgrim

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BG spikes, Nazis, papercuts.
I've just turned my hands into pin-cushions in the name of science. For my readings I waited till my post-prandial breakfast spike (which had peaked at 7.9mmol/L & was just on the way down). Here are the results of a post-double espresso this morning:

Pre-coffee - 7.5
10 minutes post - 6.5 [still on the post-breakfast decline]
30 minutes post - 7.7
45 minutes post - 6.9
1hr post - 6.3

According to 23andme.com I'm a fast metaboliser of caffeine, and this would seem to bear this out, given a peak after just half an hour. I'm actually made up, as I thought I'd have to quit until today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

I have just finished my first mug of Robert Timms heart starter black coffee. Two spoon fulls in it as I had to wait 30 minutes for a tablet I take once a month to settle down.

It's not worth drinking decaf coffee, as it's a pretend thing which is not the full monty if you are a seasoned coffee drinker. :meh:

Reactions: Prem51

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great job, Billy Pilgrim! That's some detailed data!
Glad you tested OK on the coffee front, at least in term of BG.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was recently at the hospital for a problem not connected to my type 2 diabetes when I was advised to drink decaffeinated coffee and was surprised that the very next day when I changed to decaff, the tingling in my left hand which I had assumed was diabetes related and been a problem for some time, especially waking me up in the night, had completely disappeared!
Hi MaryMeg: what was the explanation/ mechanism of the coffee giving you tingling? Blood pressure, or Blood glucose? Caffeine sensitivity? Or something else? It's good to get concrete experiences for people to discuss- the available info on coffee is rather nebulous; if it's bad for you, it may be bad for others, but we should ascertain why.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sooooooo....No sugar, no pasta, no quinoa, no rice, no barley, no carrots, no potatoes, no tropical fruit, no stone fruit, and the list goes on.
I am not giving up coffee, that is where I draw the line. If it does spike my BG then I will just exercise more. NOPE line has been drawn.
Carrots are not high carb - I have a cut off at 10 percent carb content - carrots are well under that limit.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, but i eat to my meter and. Carrots push my BG up more then 2 and for me that's too much.
Oh - that is interesting - I know that I gain weight far more easily eating carbs from grains and legumes - perhaps it is a similar response - higher BG would have made me produce insulin, and convert glucose to fat. I almost always eat carrots raw, I wonder if that might be a factor.

Hotpepper20000

Oh - that is interesting - I know that I gain weight far more easily eating carbs from grains and legumes - perhaps it is a similar response - higher BG would have made me produce insulin, and convert glucose to fat. I almost always eat carrots raw, I wonder if that might be a factor.
Raw is the worst for me because I don't eat them with fat. But I find I have lost weight the easiest not eating any root vegetables and no grains.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Raw is the worst for me because I don't eat them with fat. But I find I have lost weight the easiest not eating any root vegetables and no grains.
I grate them and eat with mayonnaise, usually with green salad, boiled eggs and tomato it makes a pretty good lunch

Reactions: Salvia

Hotpepper20000

That sounds yummy. Did you test to see if it spikes your BG? Might be ok for you.
I used to pull them right out of our garden wipe of the dirt and crunch down.
Can't do that any more.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds yummy. Did you test to see if it spikes your BG? Might be ok for you.
Can't do that any more.

oooh, such memories . . . . . :joyful: (( sigh ))

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't do that any more.
no test meter - but I might get one just to see what is going to be good for me.