weight loss has stopped - ideas?

S

serenity648

I have been on a low carb, medium fat diet since April 5th (new tax year lol). In the first 4 months I lost 14lbs. I have only lost a further 2lbs ince, and dont know what to do : (

I am having about 1500 cals a day, 100g carbs.

My blood sugar levels are great, but i need to lose a LOT of weight. I have ME, but that shouldnt stop me losing weight or explain why the loss has stopped.

any suggestion welcome please.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a low carb, medium fat diet since April 5th (new tax year lol). In the first 4 months I lost 14lbs. I have only lost a further 2lbs ince, and dont know what to do : (

My blood sugar levels are great, but i need to lose a LOT of weight. I have ME, but that shouldnt stop me losing weight or explain why the loss has stopped.

have the same problem it doesn´t seem to work for me., sometimes I am tempted to do like the body builders when they stall, like eating carbs only for one whole day, not for more days like many do... but one of the common strategies seems to be changing ones food-symphony very drastically to another combination of proteins and carbs , when one have been lchf for a long time....

and even the refeeding strategy like eating a lot of stuff read carbs over the usual daily amount and filled with nutrients too

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would try to cut the carbs a bit more and maybe miss a meal each day (assuming you are eating the usual 3). I stopped eating breakfast so have an extended fast from at least dinner the night before until lunch ( I may miss that as well).
I've also done some extended fasting too, The problem with cutting calories is that your metabolism may slow as your get used to the "new normal" of food intake especially is you cut calories for extended periods. When you fast this doesn't really happen. That's what I have found. I have a weight loss stall and did a 7 day fast to re start my weight loss. I'm just about to start another to see if I can get a few more pounds off.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the type of fat makes a difference. Diary fat make sure me fat and I could never lose weight. I also need to keep saturated fat low and eat more mono fats like avocado
I would cut the carbs too. I need to stay under 20 a day to stay in ketosis. Most carbs are salad greens and a few in nuts and seeds.

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the type of fat makes a difference. Diary fat make sure me fat and I could never lose weight. I also need to keep saturated fat low and eat more mono fats like avocado
I would cut the carbs too. I need to stay under 20 a day to stay in ketosis. Most carbs are salad greens and a few in nuts and seeds.

Yes that is worth a try

Reactions: ickihun

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I hit a small plateau last week and added a little more exercise to my routine after reading a Danish study. The study found that walking 3 times a day just 10 minutes after a meal reduced blood sugar spikes a lot more than one 30 minute walk per day. They found that walking after the evening meal which was the most carb rich meal for most participants in this study seemed to have the most benefit. I found the article on the home page of this site. I adapted this to myself and added a 10 to 15 minute walk to my day after my noon meal which is usually the most carb laden meal for me. I made this change for the effect on blood sugar but found that it also produced a greater weight loss 2.5 lbs this week vs. 1 lb the week before. Also I am making a great effort to sleep regularly. The regular sleep is supposed to help with keeping weight down by effecting metabolism. I do not know the specific mechanism. Are you on any medication for diabetes or blood pressure? Do you have dietary needs with those medications? Dairy and egg protein are regulars in my diet and always have been. I do not plan to change that at this time. Actually measuring portion size of higher calorie items helps me as well as I find that I am over generous in estimating the size of a portion. I do not measure leafy greens or most raw vegetables, just fats and meats as they are generally the higher calorie portion of my diet. Use what works for you and motivates you to eat healthy and exercise.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've been on 1500 calories since april without a day off you might actually want to implement a refeed day. After a while your body tends to store weight even though you have a calorie deficit. Further decreasing calories will not offset this, hormonal, effect. You basically need to tell your body that you still have enough access to food and that all systems are go for further weight loss. Eating 500 calories extra for two days would already be enough.

Keep in mind that weight loss if rarely a linear process and you're bound to stagnate from time to time. It's frustrating but normal really.

Reactions: Prem51

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I think an occasional cheat day or two is good for body and soul. Eat 500 calorie of something you have been craving or really enjoy if you can. Just don't make it a cheat lifestyle.

Reactions: Prem51

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

This is the best summary of the current science of weightloss. Has made me lose 45 kg and keep the weight off, and yes I do eat carbs,

The guy who has written this has a phd in neurobiology and has specialized on how the brain is affected by obesity. He has a book out in 2017, but this is his current best summary of his learnings.

Twitter here https://twitter.com/whsource

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

This is the best summary of the current science of weightloss. Has made me lose 45 kg and keep the weight off, and yes I do eat carbs,

The guy who has written this has a phd in neurobiology and has specialized on how the brain is affected by obesity. He has a book out in 2017, but this is his current best summary of his learnings.

Twitter here https://twitter.com/whsource

well thanks a lot

cocobee

I cook once, eat twice i.e. I don't include carbs for dinner & I don't sulk about it either lol as I put it away for lunch the next day and allow myself carbs for breakfast and lunch. I also walk at least 10mins after every meal esp if meal contains carbs and this lowers my bsl to the normal range, I am prediabetic. Have lost 1kg this week. Hard at 1st but you can get used to it.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you are in starvation mode - reduce the carbs and increase the calories and you should soon see your weight dropping. Humans have had to survive famines many times in their history, so when you start to eat below the normal requirements your body naturally cuts back its energy consumption to keep you alive until better times appear. It is counter intuitive, but eating the Atkins way I used to exercise twice a day and ride my bike to the shops. Trying to lower cholesterol by diet turned me into a fat old woman without the energy to get up the stairs, let alone out into the garden. Take a look at Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for further information on the advantage of eating low carb and also the calories you ca eat.

S

serenity648

I think that you are in starvation mode - reduce the carbs and increase the calories and you should soon see your weight dropping. Humans have had to survive famines many times in their history, so when you start to eat below the normal requirements your body naturally cuts back its energy consumption to keep you alive until better times appear. It is counter intuitive, but eating the Atkins way I used to exercise twice a day and ride my bike to the shops. Trying to lower cholesterol by diet turned me into a fat old woman without the energy to get up the stairs, let alone out into the garden. Take a look at Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for further information on the advantage of eating low carb and also the calories you ca eat.

did you miss the bit about me having ME? I have been trying, day after day, for 7 and a half months.

S

serenity648

I appreciate people taking time to reply, but please, read my original post first and realise that I have ME. Even struggling around the house, doing the minimum I can hygienically get away with, exhausts me. Exercise, in any meaningful way, is not going to happen.

and I have been low carbing all this time. My doctor says I mustnt reduce my calories more than I am, as it leads to even more exhaustion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can assure you that I read your original post. Did you read my reply? I wrote INCREASE YOUR CALORIES. I advise you to do so most strongly and urgently.
If you have been existing on 1500 calories a day for 7and 1/2 months you'd be feeling totally exhausted and befuddled with or without ME - you really should consider doing a low carb diet like Atkins, where you maintain your needful calorie intake and lower the carbs to induce ketosis - that is fat burning, not ketoacidosis the killer.
At least your Dr is sensible, I was told I had symptoms of ME when I was simply exhausted by sticking to a low calorie diet on the orders of my doctor. I lost very little weight. A woman needs 1800 calories a day even when inactive, 2000 to to keep house - your body is starving on 1500.

S

serenity648

I can assure you that I read your original post. Did you read my reply? I wrote INCREASE YOUR CALORIES. I advise you to do so most strongly and urgently.
If you have been existing on 1500 calories a day for 7and 1/2 months you'd be feeling totally exhausted and befuddled with or without ME - you really should consider doing a low carb diet like Atkins, where you maintain your needful calorie intake and lower the carbs to induce ketosis - that is fat burning, not ketoacidosis the killer.
At least your Dr is sensible, I was told I had symptoms of ME when I was simply exhausted by sticking to a low calorie diet on the orders of my doctor. I lost very little weight. A woman needs 1800 calories a day even when inactive, 2000 to to keep house - your body is starving on 1500.

Thank you for your patience. Yes, I did misread your reply. I will give this some thought. I am so afraid of putting on more weight.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree with Resurgam and that is what I suggested 4 weeks ago. Try it for a day or two and see how much better you feel. If it doesn't work for you you can always go back to more restrictive diet.:)