did exercise help you in any way terms of health

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi iv been reading online of studys and how exercise helped them in terms of healing or making a health problem better today i read online they did a study on a group of people the group that exercised wound healed 10 days earlier then the group that didnt exercise link ( https://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/exereld.htm ) so has anyone felt or has had any health improvements after starting a exercise regime thanks.

Reactions: Freema and SWUSA_

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Massively helped me drive the sugar out of my system when I was first diagnosed T2. I remember the sensation after a HiiT static cycle where the brain fog would go. Now I am thoroughly addicted and have the confidence to push both cardio and resistance - love it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Exercising not only helps you control and maintain your bg levels, weight and cardiovascular health it also gives you a sense of well-being, it good for the mind and nothing beats a nice long walk to recharge the batteries :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I walk 10 to 20 minutes after lunch most days and find that it helps lower my blood sugar and makes me feel better generally. Ideally I would be doing more but care responsibilities limit what I can do and even this small amount of moderate exercise seems to be helping a great deal both for me and my mother who I care for. She walks with me most days. My asthma and Diabetes Type 2 both have improved control after starting this just two months ago. Her chronic constipation has been alleviated although we also started her on a stool softener and increased liquids just prior to starting the walking routine.

It really helped me maintain my weight and overall health. I used to be very very unhealthy.. like smoke a pack and day and drink a lot. When I started exercising I realized how ****** my stamina was and how weird my breathing was.. Took a whole year to finally feel "normal" again

Reactions: Freema and Bon83

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Exercise is good for depression. It diverts your mind and supplies endorphins to your nervous system.
Excessive exercise is like anything else excessive. Harmful.

Reactions: Freema

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The older I get the more grateful I am that from walking age I was active, spent hours most days running around outdoors & cycling (first 2-wheeled bike age 4), and played a lot of sport (whether I wanted to or not). I learned what to expect from exercise, and now even though I have old-age aches and pains I remember what it's like to be agile and fit and I have nothing to fear from effort. For the aches and pains I'm combining yoga and a really good physio (it costs, but I'm worth it)(probably) Diabetes is just a part of my life, I'm grateful to say.
I think if I was just starting to exercise at this late time in life I would be fearful of every wheeze, stitch, bone-click and cramp and it would be an uphill path. To anyone in that position I'd say easy does it, but do it.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I completely agree with this article. I know for sure that exercise helps in many ways, both mental and physical. When I stop running from my regular routine, I notice my mood isn’t as positive and physically I feel I have less energy to take me through the day.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I go to the gym to do weights. it absolutely has helped me reduce my insulin resistance. The gym is probably not great for weight loss but not everything is about losing weight. Feeling good is a great thing.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Definitely, particularly since going on LCHF. My energy levels surged and I couldn't keep still. Now I feel ****** if I DON'T walk at least 10,000 steps a day.

It's not just pushing down blood sugars or getting trimmer, it's having the chance to move about, zone out, enjoy the scenery and clear my head.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been in agony in just walking and so unable to exercise. Walking exhausts me but now is affecting my heart.
Keep active, no matter what!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
has anyone felt or has had any health improvements after starting a exercise regime thanks.

Exercise is a regular part of my day - on inactive days I still do things like going up 300 steps, Walking a few KMs and on active days it's non stop until I can;t go anymore be it cycling,or tasks like splitting and stacking wood or fun stuff like canoeing. In the 50 years I've been living with diabetes I have never had an infection from a cut or injury, I seldom bruise and on active days I usually have about a 65% drop in insulin consumption. I don't get headaches and I'm seldom sick. Now that I'm 55 - I think it's more important now than ever before. Exercise - I'd recommend it to all people with diabetes - just don't try to climb a mountain your first time out :)

Hotpepper20000

For myself I have found that exercise did help to control my BGL.
It also helps me with mental clearity and keeping positive.
I walk anywhere from 5-12000 steps aday and ride my bike in the summer for 45 mins 4-5 times a week I did most of this before I started LCHF.
Maybe not so much walking in the winter. But I always have been active.

Reactions: streem26

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was sedentary pretty much for a few years and always considered myself fit. Certainly not unfit anyway compared to many.

I soon realised when I started walking instead of taking the car or motorbike how unfit I actually was.

Now I do 3 miles brisk walking in around 40 mins without breaking a sweat and am at the point where I'm considering running. At 52 I'm enthused. The health benefits are clear.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walk every evening and dance 2 nights a week. It relaxes me and makes me feel great. It really drops the BG after my largest meal of the day too.
We've had awful weather today, flood warning, snow and rain. It got to my walk time. still raining.. hubby says " you're not going out in that are you?" Of course I am.. hat, scarf, gloves raincoat and off I went . It really blew the cobwebs away. I felt really invigorated when I got back.
I always try to do my 10,000 steps a day. Dance nights I get up to 20,000 . My record was for a dance day and night 31,500
ps. I'm no spring chicken ;)

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@static192 I started lifting about 3 1/2 years ago. I had a bad lower back (drinking injury) from a slip and fall 25yrs ago, a bad knee (candidate for replacement) and a bad right foot planters faciitus.

I found the heavy compound lifts, deadlifts and barbell squats really helped. My back rarely bothers me and my knee and foot are non issues now. Someday I will try to incorporate cardio into my routine but I do walk almost 5 miles per day with a bull mastiff/Rottweiler cross tugging on the lead.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@static192 I started lifting about 3 1/2 years ago. I had a bad lower back (drinking injury) from a slip and fall 25yrs ago, a bad knee (candidate for replacement) and a bad right foot planters faciitus.

I found the heavy compound lifts, deadlifts and barbell squats really helped. My back rarely bothers me and my knee and foot are non issues now. Someday I will try to incorporate cardio into my routine but I do walk almost 5 miles per day with a bull mastiff/Rottweiler cross tugging on the lead.
Did your weights lower your blood sugars.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mbaker I don't really believe the weights, or any exercise for that matter lowers my bg levels but I have noticed they are way more stable. What I did find that lowered my bg was taking a Creatine supplement. I actually went hypo 3x in a week.
I have since stopped all supplements and even with intermittent fasting I still keep lifting. I go 3x a week and at 52 years old I have deadlifted 405lbs, I bench 225lbs and squat 265 (working on 3 plates).
I still have a bit of a gut but the lchf and fasting are helping me get rid of it.