Such a thing as low carb bread or snack bars?

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be clutching at straws but are there such things as low carb bread or bars/breakfast bars that are commercially available? Or are they a myth like the tooth fairy lol? I've obviously heard of Atkins but don't want to go and buy anything only to find out that I shouldn't actually be eating them. Any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there are all kinds of low carb breads, e.g. Lidl high protein rolls (do a forum search for various threads about these). Or buy an easy to make and bake commercial mix from Sukrin (from their own UK website, or Amazon, etc).

And of course you can also use various nut and seed flours to bake your own low carb bread - see our low carb recipes section or ask Google.

Always look closely at the nutritional labelling on any so called low carb offerings, and take particular note of the additives in the bars, including the Atkins stuff. Then use your meter and test, test, test, to tell you if your body can manage them.

Robbity

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago now I bought three Atkins bars, and I ate them - oh my - all those sugar alcohols - I might not have been able to digest them but my gut bacteria certainly could - they had a party.
I thought I might become geography a couple of hours later. I was blown up like a balloon. Shortly after that I was going to pick up the kids from school and wondering if I was going to be able to avoid embarrassment at the gates.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told to eat Bergen bread with soya snd linseed - something to do with its GI. I allow myself a couple of slices a day but I don't reaslly know why .......

Tannedhaggis

I use Helgas 5 seed bread. It has 9 carbs per slice. It is very nice and filling, though I do try to limit myself to 2 slices per day.
I have tried a few recipes for snacks/ treats, with varying success. At the moment my go to recipe is the low carb spice Xmas cake, which I bake in loaf tins and then freeze as slices. (Ditchthecarbs.com)

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aldi Rice cake bars at only 11 carbs a bar, ive only tried the milk choc and orange choc ones.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes there are all kinds of low carb breads, e.g. Lidl high protein rolls (do a forum search for various threads about these). Or buy an easy to make and bake commercial mix from Sukrin (from their own UK website, or Amazon, etc).

And of course you can also use various nut and seed flours to bake your own low carb bread - see our low carb recipes section or ask Google.

Always look closely at the nutritional labelling on any so called low carb offerings, and take particular note of the additives in the bars, including the Atkins stuff. Then use your meter and test, test, test, to tell you if your body can manage them.

Robbity

Thanks Robbity, baking my own isn't quite on the agenda yet, the kitchen and I aren't exactly buddies so making lunch and dinners are a huge step up for me lol. I'll have a wee look online and see what I can find and send hubs to Lidl for those rolls, thank you!

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Helgas 5 seed bread. It has 9 carbs per slice. It is very nice and filling, though I do try to limit myself to 2 slices per day.
I have tried a few recipes for snacks/ treats, with varying success. At the moment my go to recipe is the low carb spice Xmas cake, which I bake in loaf tins and then freeze as slices. (Ditchthecarbs.com)

I'm shockingly bad in the kitchen, making my lunch and dinner is a challenge all in itself! Baking, hmm, I'd probably burn the house down lol and that's not so much of a stretch, it's only a matter of weeks since I set the oven gloves alight!

Reactions: Terryrhino

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My vote is for Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, 11g of carbohydrate per slice. Tastes like wholemeal, toasts well and makes a decent sandwich...

Reactions: Smelen

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to eat Bergen bread with soya snd linseed - something to do with its GI. I allow myself a couple of slices a day but I don't reaslly know why .......
Funnily enough that's one of breads I used to eat simply because I enjoyed it, I may freeze some and have an occasional slice as a treat

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many years ago now I bought three Atkins bars, and I ate them - oh my - all those sugar alcohols - I might not have been able to digest them but my gut bacteria certainly could - they had a party.
I thought I might become geography a couple of hours later. I was blown up like a balloon. Shortly after that I was going to pick up the kids from school and wondering if I was going to be able to avoid embarrassment at the gates.

Oh my, not good!! Would one be ok? I'm trying to think of quick things for a morning. I'm soooooo not a morning person and have never really been able to face much of anything in a morning, I've had a slimfast bar for years but there's 16g of carbs in them and that's a tad too much!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
natures valley protein bars are 9g of carb each and gluten free :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my, not good!! Would one be ok? I'm trying to think of quick things for a morning. I'm soooooo not a morning person and have never really been able to face much of anything in a morning, I've had a slimfast bar for years but there's 16g of carbs in them and that's a tad too much!
It all depends on how you tolerate the ingredients - for some people it is no problem, but I have avoided anything with sugar alcohols ever since.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It all depends on how you tolerate the ingredients - for some people it is no problem, but I have avoided anything with sugar alcohols ever since.
I guess I could buy one, eat half of one and see what happens, and go from there