Reducing MetFormin - any side effects?

rmurphy195

My results from my review this morning were good - HBA1c of 40, cholesterol of 3.1,both showing a small but steady decrease over the last few years (along with my weight).

I'm currently on 3 metformin/day, and given my results I broached with my GP the possibility of reducing my MF to 2/day, he's OK with it but of course wants to have my blood checked 3 - 4 months down the line to see if it's working.

So before I embark on this - has anyone reduced their MF intake and if so, are there any side effects?

Background is that in 2012 my dosage was increased to 3/day from 2. At that time my hba1c was 53, over the intervening years (annual review) it came down to 48, 44, 42, and now 40 and my weight has shown c2kg/year reduction in the same period. As well as increasing the MF intake at the end of 2012 I also increased my exercise levels and tweaked my diet slightly, so I guess all of these things contributed.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking 2 x 850mg metformin, how many mg are your metformin pills ?

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I was taking two metformin daily. The medic stopped the metformin at my last review. Since them I have not lost any weight.
Not that this matters as I am now within a good weight. I still do the exercise as previously. My next Hba1c & review I had yesterday but dont know the results yet as I am not able to see the diabetic nurse until two days before Xmas. (Why such a long wait ?). I just keep going with the diet and regular testing. I feel good. Lets hope that you do too. Good health:)

Reactions: rosalindp

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When my HbA1c went down to 38 my doctor took me off Metformin and despite my best efforts my weight loss stalled and I even started to regain weight not a lot but some. So doctor has put me back on them on the lowest dose not to control blood sugars but to help with weight. As I am unable to exercise very much.

Duh edit to make plain I am not an exorcist

Timbo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor slowly increased me up to 2*1000mg per day but I have found that after being on this level for quite a few years that I had to drop it to 1000mg per day as I was getting severe diarrhea. I try and control my blood sugar by diet (lower carbs) and exercise. Mostly this works OK. No adverse symptoms by dropping the dosage apart from my social life back.

Reactions: rosalindp

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My results from my review this morning were good - HBA1c of 40, cholesterol of 3.1,both showing a small but steady decrease over the last few years (along with my weight).

I'm currently on 3 metformin/day, and given my results I broached with my GP the possibility of reducing my MF to 2/day, he's OK with it but of course wants to have my blood checked 3 - 4 months down the line to see if it's working.

So before I embark on this - has anyone reduced their MF intake and if so, are there any side effects?

Background is that in 2012 my dosage was increased to 3/day from 2. At that time my hba1c was 53, over the intervening years (annual review) it came down to 48, 44, 42, and now 40 and my weight has shown c2kg/year reduction in the same period. As well as increasing the MF intake at the end of 2012 I also increased my exercise levels and tweaked my diet slightly, so I guess all of these things contributed.

I was on 2x500 metformin daily for two years. The Doctor reduced this to one per day last February. For a couple of weeks the well known gastro-intestinal effects returned (for the first time in 18 months) although very mildly. I have not had any problems since.
I was surprised that symptoms returned after reducing dosage and I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pete254 what was the doctors trigger to lower to 1x500 as I'm seeing my doctor on Monday for my next 3 month test results. Hoping HBA1c under 42. I'm not sure I would be happy stopping completely and will be fighting my corner to retain minimum dosage just in case

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I reduced my Metformin as in my signature. No side effects, just relief that I am "fixed" enough to not require a dosage.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pete254 what was the doctors trigger to lower to 1x500 as I'm seeing my doctor on Monday for my next 3 month test results. Hoping HBA1c under 42. I'm not sure I would be happy stopping completely and will be fighting my corner to retain minimum dosage just in case
Hi @Stuart7152. The reason the Doctor reduced my metformin was because I had a HbA1c test done 4 weeks after last Christmas and it came back 38 (previous 2 were 45). He was very impressed but said he would have suggested a reduction even if I had had another result of 45.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi guys..:)
Just thought this may be of interest for you.

HBA1C range:

Normal. 42mmol.
Prediabetic. 42 - 47mmol.
Diabetic. 48 and Over.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pete254 and @Liam1955 just got my new prescription from doctors and I think I'm going to only take 1x500mg per day rather than the two as lost weight again this morning even though I'm trying to maintain weight. I've increased my calories, but started to only restrict my carbs to 100g per day.

Need to find new levels of food to eat to stop any further weight loss as this lowering of carbs is making the situation worse. At least my BG is lowering and more stabilised and no spikes.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Stuart7152 - Metformin takes time to build up in your system and you might see a slight effect on blood sugars. But, it takes a couple of months to reach it's full effect.
Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the Intestines.
Most people take to Metformin, but it can cause diarrhoea and upset stomach at first, especially if taken on an empty stomach. The good news is these symptoms usually go away within a few weeks. Always take Metformin with or after food and drink plenty of water. :)

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this is an old thread but I found it though a Google search.

My GP has reduced my Metformin from 4 a day to 2 a day. My old habit of weeing all night is returning. My visit to the diabetic nurse is several weeks away. The GP is so pleased with all of my results that he is reducing my medications. I rather think that the good results are largely the result of the medication. Would I expect to see a rise in my blood sugar results?