Going Vegetarian for christmas due to visitor's, don't have a clue! Need special recipes

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi All,
Recently diagnosed type 2, doing low carb high fat diet, obviously avoiding sugars as well. On top of that I have 3 visitors coming for christmas, my daughter (who isn't too much of a problem), and two of her old uni friends, a young female Muslim, and a young female who can only eat meat killed in a certain way (I think its called ha lou?). I live on a smallish Island, which I doubt will cater for such different things. So my daughter and I have decided were going vegetarian rather than causing offence or any other difficulties. So I'm looking for some really special recipes for this special occasion that we can all enjoy together. Which will cover three days, breakfasts, dinner and tea. I'd also like to serve a starter and pudding for boxing day, which will be our main event. All suggestions welcome.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How strict? Are eggs and dairy all right? Is fish OK?

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Might it be 'Halal' food?

If it is some supermarkets have cooked/prepared meat items that might be suitable (Asda does I think and perhaps also Tesco) if you do a quick search.

That might add to your options.

Crustless quiche is tasty and can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge, I make one with different fillings in each half then slice it up. It's quick and handy for tea time or supper.

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi All,
Recently diagnosed type 2, doing low carb high fat diet, obviously avoiding sugars as well. On top of that I have 3 visitors coming for christmas, my daughter (who isn't too much of a problem), and two of her old uni friends, a young female Muslim, and a young female who can only eat meat killed in a certain way (I think its called ha lou?). I live on a smallish Island, which I doubt will cater for such different things. So my daughter and I have decided were going vegetarian rather than causing offence or any other difficulties. So I'm looking for some really special recipes for this special occasion that we can all enjoy together. Which will cover three days, breakfasts, dinner and tea. I'd also like to serve a starter and pudding for boxing day, which will be our main event. All suggestions welcome.
What a lovely idea. There is a large recipe index pinned to the top of the vegetarian sub-forum and a thread with some veggie Christmas dinner ideas at the bottom of the sub-forum. Have a look and see what you fancy and what is available where you live. You don't need meat or fish meat to have great meals over the holidays. Good luck :cat:

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Might it be 'Halal' food?

If it is some supermarkets have cooked/prepared meat items that might be suitable (Asda does I think and perhaps also Tesco) if you do a quick search.

That might add to your options.

Crustless quiche is tasty and can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge, I make one with different fillings in each half then slice it up. It's quick and handy for tea time or supper.

'Halah' that's the one!
We don't have an Asda, not yet any way its being built as we speak. Tesco's is a bit tricky to get to for me as it takes 2 buses, no car.
So I will probably stick with just Vege. But thanks anyway.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am thinking a nice quiche or frittata for breakfast. I think I spelled that wrong. Asparagus sauteed in garlic butter with a bit of parmesan is very good. Brussel sprouts au gratin. Cheesecakes can be low carb and also fit with vegetarian. Vegetarian pizza made with fathead pizza dough. Most fat bombs are delicious treats and are vegetarian friendly as well as low carb so everyone can have truffles. Fancy nuts would be good just not glazed ones. There are lots of recipes on the net and also on this site. Enjoy your christmas :D:p

Oh ! Almost forgot the stuffed mushroom caps! Don't forget those YUMMMMM :wideyed::woot:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waldorf salat (pure whipped cream no Mayo )is wonderful for both vegetarians and Meat eaters and orange salad with parsley is so Nice in its Colors and taste wonderful Homemade tomatochips with olives and goat cheese

Last edited:
Reactions: SWUSA_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waldorf salat for low carbers could be made from selery cucumbers and more roasted walnuts and pickles instead of grapes and Apples

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This is fabulous as a Christmas Day Dinner main - I have had it several times when visiting vegie friends and each have put their own spin on it by having different vegetable side dishes, it went particularly nice with roast parsnips:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...oux-pastries-filled-with-mushrooms-in-madeira

This one is excellent, too - I often do this one:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/piedmont-roasted-peppers

and this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...abs-with-herbs-and-fresh-mexican-tomato-salsa

As you can tell, I'm a Delia fan. Her recipes are mainly easy and always work.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

"Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano is an EU Protected Designation of Origin product and has to be made using calf rennet, so it’s definitely not suitable for vegetarians."

https://www.vegsoc.org/saycheese#

As made from calfs' stomach lining then there is a potential for it not being halal either.

@chalup @Freema

A

Avocado Sevenfold

This is fabulous as a Christmas Day Dinner main - I have had it several times when visiting vegie friends and each have put their own spin on it by having different vegetable side dishes, it went particularly nice with roast parsnips:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...oux-pastries-filled-with-mushrooms-in-madeira

This one is excellent, too - I often do this one:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/piedmont-roasted-peppers

and this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...abs-with-herbs-and-fresh-mexican-tomato-salsa

As you can tell, I'm a Delia fan. Her recipes are mainly easy and always work.
Those peppers are lovely. I've had them and subbed the wee fish for capers.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Be careful with chestnuts. Its a very common allergy.

Reactions: Freema
K

Kat100

Hi All,
I would go down the middle easten route , with spicy aubergine and chickpea stew , could serve with whole meal warmed pittoa bread .. or cauliflower roasted spiced cauliflower.. I would do dips of choice with cucumber and other savour nibbles ..
Sour cream goes well with the stew :)

Last edited by a moderator: