Why do pills contain sugar

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take a raft of pills for my various medical issues.

Two to keep my blood pressure under control, two doses of steroid (which is why I'm T2 as I've been on them for many years),One times 4 twice a day to keep my transplanted liver from going off, the obligatory daily aspirin and yes I'm still taking a statin. Also I take Gliclazide for my T2 Along with these you may be suprised to know that I take an anti depressant as well. A couple of hefty painkillers top off the list.
However, whilst perusing the patient info leaflet of one pill I saw that it contains sugar as well as the active ingredient. Curious, I checked all the others and found that they all contain sugar of some sort, even the Diabetes med.

Now I'm sure the pharmas don't put things in their pills for fun so why?
Someone out there must know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is to make it more palatable - same reason manufacturers put added sugar in food and drink.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but you swallow pills! It's a quick process!
Unfortunately, for some people it's very difficult. I understand that it's a form of phagophobia (fear of swallowing).

As @Bluetit1802 mentioned, it's to make them easier to swallow. Fortunately, the amount of actual sugar in these pills is incredibly low to a point where you probably burned more calories typing this question than the amount of sugar contained in all the pills you take in a week.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It was a similar case to one a few years ago when parents of children with ADD and ADHD complained about the enumbers in the coating of the prescribed medicines. It really is unnecessary to add any of these things. I take amitriptyline for a different condition, they are tiny and sometimes get stuck to the roof or sides of my mouth. They taste foul and it takes ages before the taste dissipates but I take the medicine because they are of benefit to me not because of their colour, shape or taste.

D

Deleted member 308541

I wish they would put sugar or something nice in the three Betamin tablets I take, as they taste like $&#$'

I suppose I should listen to Mary Poppins

A Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down-wown
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down…

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Be more aware of aspartame in pills.. especially in vit d and calcium cheap ones that the NHS can give.
My bc consultant despite knowing I have intolerance to aspartame issued these as standard to ladies taking hormone cancer tablets.
Makes me wonder why so many wonen get secondary cancers... and if they were given vit d and calcium tablets with aspartame in.