Insomnia.

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone else have trouble sleeping or is it just me . Since going on to insulin nearly 4weeks ago I cannot get to sleep at night. Aim exhausted and feeling very uptight and was wondering if it's anything to do with me taking insulin .Any help appreciated Mags.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes azure blood sugar normally ok.

Ok - that's good :) I always test if I can't sleep just to be sure.

Could it be anxiety? Starting insulin is a big step and perhaps it's subconsciously in your mind?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a link between sleep disruption and fluctuations in blood glucose levels in my experience.
It may be that you are getting used to the insulin and the effect it has on your sleeping patterns.
Is your insulin having a good effect on dropping your levels?
The more stable your blood glucose levels are, the better you feel and this will help with the insomnia.

But it could be something else.

Reactions: KezG

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks folk. The insulin is bringing my sugar levels down. I think it might be anxiety azure for this was all new to me. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I know @mist has this problem, I hope you find something that can help, good luck :)

M

mist

As a long time sufferer of insomnia and anxiety, I'm afraid the two go hand in hand, so if you are suffering from a form of anxiety such as GAD then you can be sure that sleep will become harder.

I've learned a few tricks over the years but really, you need to address the underlying problem. What is causing your anxious thoughts? Once you know that, you can work on resolving them and your sleep will improve.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The trick is to find out whether it's a condition or symptoms that is the cause of anxiety and insomnia.

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No lynbrown, I have lost 1/2 stone since I started on insulin at beginning of October. I think it's anxiety as I'm a worrier .

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks mist I wish I knew some tricks. Doctor gave me 5days of an antidepressant but they made me feel terrible the next day. so that's not the answer for me. I appreciate all the help and concern Mags.

srm100841

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping or is it just me . Since going on to insulin nearly 4weeks ago I cannot get to sleep at night. Aim exhausted and feeling very uptight and was wondering if it's anything to do with me taking insulin .Any help appreciated Mags.
Hiya,

You don't say whether you're type 1 or 2 or how long you've been diagnosed.

Possibly if you pursue a low carb diet then you might find that you can manage with tablets instead of insulin. It's a big step to move to insulin (of course) but if you're type 2 then there may be an alternative like a controlled low carb diet. This certainly helped me. From my experience stress and diabetes are bedfellows and levels do fluctuate. It might be the fact that since you've gone onto insulin then your stress has increased and in turn this has disrupted your sleep pattern.

Check out the low carb section. It's been a life saver for me.

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi srm, I have been diabetic type 2 for the past 30 years,on metformin 2000mg a day. I was admitted to hospital in September and the blood tests showed that my bodys lactic blood was too high. The consultant said the metformin wasn't working so they put me on insulin. I am on novomix 30. I need 12 units before breakfast and 10 before dinner at 6.00pm.The not sleeping started about 4weeks into using the insulin but I think it's the stress and not knowing about how insulin works that caused the problem. Thanks for your input. Mags.