Started IF and higher Fasting BG levels

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Is it normal for my morning BG is increase from 4.6-5.0 to 7.0 from the previous bedtime figure of 5.2 on this strategy.

The morning reading is no food from 6pm the previous night to 1pm. My food window is 1pm-6pm and only water outside this period.

I'm trying to lower my BG not increase it and prior to IF my reading have been sub 6.0 post meal for some time and mainly in the low 5.0's all day. This increase in level is quite high compared to previous.

I'm trying to reduce my insulin resistance only and not reduce weight and was hoping to move to 24hr fast and the occasional 48hrs, but this depends on how it effects my weight.

Somewhat confused with these readings as happened for the last two days. Should I continue with IF as appreciate the liver can dump sugar, but can it increase your levels by this much.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should I still take my metformin in the morning without food? Or wait for the food window?

I don't get any adverse effects with this drug, even without food. This may help keep my pre meal level lower from fasting if taken a few hours earlier.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/diabetes-resources/definitions/metformin/
Home > Diabetes Resources > Definitions > Metformin
Metformin
Updated June 27, 2013
Published May 17, 2006
Print Text Size: A A A
A popular oral drug for treating Type 2 diabetes. Metformin (brand name Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet) is a member of a class of drugs called biguanides that helps lower blood glucose levels by improving the way the body handles insulin& #x2014; namely, by preventing the liver from making excess glucose and by making muscle and fat cells more sensitive to available insulin.

If you are not suffering any side effects by taking them without food then why stop?
On the one hand you are helping the liver to stop producing glucose, and by Fasting you are causing it to shed more of what it has stored, isn't that a win-win?

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Stuart7152
Yes it's normal, if you haven't eaten for a while your liver will release some of its stored glucose.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/
Hi @catinahat , thanks for that the article very informative. Appears to say my liver still has too much sugar and need to keep at it with more LCHF + Fasting to both reduce sugar in and increase burning off.

I assume I can then use my fasting reading at a good indicator that my liver is successfully reducing its retained sugar following the Dawn Phenomenon principles depending if the figure goes up or down.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/diabetes-resources/definitions/metformin/
Home > Diabetes Resources > Definitions > Metformin
Metformin
Updated June 27, 2013
Published May 17, 2006
Print Text Size: A A A
A popular oral drug for treating Type 2 diabetes. Metformin (brand name Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet) is a member of a class of drugs called biguanides that helps lower blood glucose levels by improving the way the body handles insulin& #x2014; namely, by preventing the liver from making excess glucose and by making muscle and fat cells more sensitive to available insulin.

If you are not suffering any side effects by taking them without food then why stop?
On the one hand you are helping the liver to stop producing glucose, and by Fasting you are causing it to shed more of what it has stored, isn't that a win-win?
Cheers @walnut_face , still taking Metformin just asking about timings with IF as new to this, as would normally take twice over food window or should I take one on waking up(without food) and the remaining one in food window?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to eat in the morning very soon after rising or my bs just keeps rising. I can skip lunch but I cannot skip BF. It doesn't need to be a large BF but rather something without carb and not a lot of protein. Usually it's avocado but an egg would work or maybe a few nuts. Something highet in fat that does not produce much glucose or raise insulin.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers @walnut_face , still taking Metformin just asking about timings with IF as new to this, as would normally take twice over food window or should I take one on waking up(without food) and the remaining one in food window?
For me personally if I take metformin without food the results are rather explosive! Sorry folks TMI

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You could try skipping your evening meal instead of breakfast. That would probably tone down the dawn phenomenon. There is no rule saying that your eating window has to be in the evening. I can and do take metformin on an empty stomach with no issues, the only way to know is to try it and see how it affects you.