How did you feel about switching onto injections?

elonkirk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I soon discovered I was allergic to most tablets taken for type 2 diabetes and after a very bad illness caused by the diabetes I was put on Byetta exenitide pen which gives a 10 ml unit each time its used and have now been taking this for 10 years without any side effects whatsoever it has been a godsend as far as I am concerned. I have also reduced my weight from 36 stone to 19stone since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. but lately have found my liver to affected by the diabetes or possibly the only tablet I was taking with the injection gliclicide may have affected the reading when my bloods were checked as since I have stopped taking the Gliclicide My bloods came back as normal.

Reactions: SWUSA_

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
It was my decision as I had controlled my blood sugar with diet for 10 years. Didn't fancy tablets as you do not have the same control as insulin. Bit worried at first, it's taken nearly 18 months to get the hang of it. Now very happy with my decision.
Did controlling it with diet not work for you then? (I'm asking because that's what I'm trying to do right now.)
and I'm terrified of the idea of injections.

davemufc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a 6 month trial on lyxumia and sadly it did not work for me,my average hba1c is 63 which is 8 in old money,I take 2 x 1000 mg metformin and have now been put on 40 mg of gliplazide,they told me at doctors that if I ended up with hba1c of 59 I would not need to inject.

altubby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Housework,
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@altubby - I began using Insulin in July 2014. Before then I had used Liraglutide and Vitoza - it did not bother me in the slightest as I looked upon it as another drug to help in the control of my Diabetes. :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wa snot happy at first when told I had to have insulin but, needs must as the levels were gradually creeping even though I watched what i ate....I would prefer Insulin once a day and not twice a day but had to have them twice a day which scared me at first but now am fine about it......

sunnythanet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd love to go on Insulin as Metformin is causing me kidney problems but my nurse says I am too old and the doctor agrees.Also to get a decent HBA1C 7.1 my diet is extremely boring.
I am 93 and my nurse wants me to go on insulin.

Stox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps, reality, TV, films, arguments!
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon
I felt OK at the switch over and had asked for it several years ago, but due to hospilization a month or so ago, I was put onto insulin. The switch over was no real problem, just getting used to the procedure but after a couple of days (I inject twice a day) everything was fine.

The problem I have at the moment it hypers. Out of 86 BG readings over the last couple of weeks, I have only been within target 21 times. I, my GP and the GP Reception, have tried getting in touch with the Diabetic team, but no one has contacted me since the first review over a month ago, I have bot been contacted. I had to call for an ambulance last night, s I was in the high 20s and have contacted my GP and diabetic team and waiting for someone to contact me.Last time I saw my GP, a week ago, he said that the team would review and I told him I just couldn't contact them, he said he would, but still not heard.

I have contacted them again first thing this morning, but if I haven't heard anything by the end of today, I shall contact the hospital Diabetic Team and see if they can get someone to talk to me.

This is all causing me a great deal of stress. Before I went onto insulin, I took my sugars a couple of times a week and I could always tell if I was within target, if I felt rough, I'd take my BG to check and was always right. Now I ave no idea withot testing.

I'm just hoping someone can sort this out so i can lead a 'normal' life again.

Reactions: 2 people

Davec2802

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Only diagnosed Type 2 in January. Already having problems with my bloods as they are reading over 16.0 most nights. I have a appointment with my regular doctor on Monday and I'm wondering if it is worth asking about injections as the 2000mg metformin aren't working.

Any Idea's

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Only diagnosed Type 2 in January. Already having problems with my bloods as they are reading over 16.0 most nights. I have a appointment with my regular doctor on Monday and I'm wondering if it is worth asking about injections as the 2000mg metformin aren't working.

Any Idea's
It's worth asking. I've been using different kinds of tablets and diet/exercise for over 20 years, it's only using insulin that has given me any real control. We are all different, you need to find what works for you. Your sugars look high enough to need insulin, I would discuss with your doctor if I were you.

Good luck whatever you decide

grindle4

Type of diabetes
Type 2

found it easy dont feel it much

kazzy16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
H
I did a 6 month trial on lyxumia and sadly it did not work for me,my average hba1c is 63 which is 8 in old money,I take 2 x 1000 mg metformin and have now been put on 40 mg of gliplazide,they told me at doctors that if I ended up with hba1c of 59 I would not need to inject.
hello. I'm new to this, so probably not using correctly. Can I ask when you all take your lyxumia and why then. Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
H

hello. I'm new to this, so probably not using correctly. Can I ask when you all take your lyxumia and why then. Thanks

You're doing fine :) If you don't get an answer to your question here, I can make a new thread for you asking that specific question. But hopefully you'll get a response here soon - just keep checking back :)

AnneMurray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who judge

To be honest was absolutely terrified. I'm a bit of a needle phobe, nope tell a lie there is no bit about it. However due to auto shield needles and a fantastic supportive DN really really wish I had done it years ago

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
I never had a problem transitioning over to injections but that may be because I was a blood donor and also have body piercings so needles didn't scare me.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
After a year on injections I find myself 1 stone heavier and the Diabeses Nuse says it is to be expected ...but yes the injections do seem to keep the levels more under controll when the meds stop working so good

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Alcohol
3 week ago I started on Victoza pen injections. I was pleased to be prescribed them as after some 15 years of T2 my blood levels were now into the teens with the oral medications not allowing as much control anymore . In just this short time (3 weeks) my blood readings are now down into single figures between 4.5 and 8.8 at the highest. Also I find my appetite as been reduced therefore i have lost 7lbs. And as I am overweight I could do to lose another 3 and a half stone. So all in all I am very pleased. Also after the first 2 weeks all side effects (nausea , indigestion ) had passed. So in my case I can only recommend Victoza injections.

bentley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed with type2 13years ago, managed by diet for three years then I was taking max dose metformin and gliclzide for nine years. Was referred to hospital diabetic clinic in April and put straight on to insulin (Lantus) four weeks later they added novorapid. I now inject four times a day and am struggling to get used to it. We are away in America soon and dreading trying to deal with time change, going out in day and having to find a ladies room to do my injection. Any advice please.