Hospital Menu for diabetic person

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it would be sensible for any hospital menu to show nutritional values, so individual choices can be made. I agree there's not much on here for low carbers; I also think it's dangerous to assume that only those with Type 2 diabetes are following that type of diet. A lot of judgemental comments in this thread - can't we just all agree that healthy menus with good choices of everyday food and nutritional information would be helpful to everyone? and navigator, I feel for your brother - not good care.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd only eat the turkey salad, cheese (no biscuits) and the omelette. I am very concerned that, if I needed to go into hospital, they would try to kill me with this diet. They are completely clueless.
I agree. I love my low carb diet and I really love vegetables. Extra portions of those would be good.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think it would be sensible for any hospital menu to show nutritional values, so individual choices can be made. I agree there's not much on here for low carbers; I also think it's dangerous to assume that only those with Type 2 diabetes are following that type of diet. A lot of judgemental comments in this thread - can't we just all agree that healthy menus with good choices of everyday food and nutritional information would be helpful to everyone? and navigator, I feel for your brother - not good care.

I find it more dangerous to assume all type 2's low carb, if that was all I was offered it would lead to physiological insulin resistance for me when I came out.
I do agree though, as you say, at least one option for all of us would be good, but as said, failing that, portion control is always my fallback for situations that aren't ideal.
It's been a good habit so far, but it does mean putting up with not feeling satiated occasionally, but that isn't a struggle for me, as that was what led me down the road to obesity and diabetes, and that simply had to change.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Posters have argued on this very thread an unmarked menu is better.
I suggested it because I think for the NHS to state that orange juice, mashed potatoes, rice pudding etc is a suitable meal for a diabetic is just furthering the myth that diabetics can thrive on anything except sugar. This is what I find objectionable. I would be taking my own food or starving so am not worried for myself.

Sue1151

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The current practice at the hospital Trust I work for is that the 'sick' diabetic should be allowed to eat anything they choose from the menu. I am T2 myself, and do have concerns about this generic practice. There are options available that are not on the menu for patients that have increased nutritional needs. Perhaps the diabetic in-patient needs to request more suitable options to see what may, (or may not), be offered.
In view of reading this article and the concerns in the forum, I decided to share it with James Martin, the TV Chef who fronted a series improving a specific hospitals kitchen practices. Watch this space...................

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sue1151 I'd be pretty miffed if anyone suggested I wasn't allowed to choose my own food : D

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
is anyone asking for 5 star quality? Again, putting words in that arent . I am arguing there should be a menu available which supplies nutritional needs for people like me, with sufficient choices to eat an adequate amount of food which wont harm me. Not for some extra special gournet meal service. If the NHS can provide for vegans, vegetarians, coeliacs etc, then diet controlled type 2 diabetics should be treated on a equal footing.

Nothing expensive or fancy. Simply an equal amount of food suitable for my needs.
Plain meat would help but the meat when I was in always arrived smothered in sauce or had to be picked out of a stew!

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
What are the views of members to this Menu, any thing marked with a D is deemed suitable

58ce9bc5088dc16ca230c04073116681.jpg
This is ludicrous & should be criminal. What kind of morons would feed CARBS to a diabetic in a hospital? **smh**

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
I was in hospital having a brain aneurysm repaired completely unrelated to my diabetes. I also have Bells Palsy. The only one of these conditions I can do anything about is the diabetes so the reason I was so upset was due to losing the excellent control I'd taken of my diet and my health. BTW I have a real fear of ever being in hospital and being put on a glucose drip! Was on one for 48 hours after one of my sons was born. Only removed when a consultant came on the ward and the midwives were told to remove all 'unnecessary' drips!

Reactions: Energize

Erica_12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I, too, came across this type of diet whilst in Hospital. I ended up eating salad twice a day with an unwashed Apple. It was almost a starvation diet not one to recover from a major operation on. In addition they didn't feed me for 42 hours. I temporarily lost my sight and virtually lost consciousness . Yes,ofcourse the answer was to give me a glucose drip! My experience was that they did not have any idea how to treat a type 2 diabetic. I thought you were supposed to feel safe in hospital. Now, I take my own food with me. After a recent small op I was offered white toast or biscuits!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This is ludicrous & should be criminal. What kind of morons would feed CARBS to a diabetic in a hospital? **smh**
They know no better!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sue1151 I'd be pretty miffed if anyone suggested I wasn't allowed to choose my own food : D
I have been in this situation, whereby known as being diabetic, I ticked my choices on the menu but, when the meal arrived, some of my choices had been omitted with a note on the menu sheet accompanying that meal to say I couldn't have 'such and such' because I was a diabetic!!! Great, I managed to persuade somebody to get me some substitute off the trolley that was spare.

As others, and myself, have already pointed out, the hospitals SHOULD be able to treat diabetic choices in the same way as other dietry needs/preferences are met, ie gluten-free, religious requirements etc. In fact, it costs little/no more to provide diets to meet these needs. There isn't a regular menu choice for such requirements but are usually on a 'one-off'/as requested basis. There shouldn't be a problem - all is needed is better communication between patient/staff/catering dept, in my opinion and experience.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Morons indeed!
Hang on, I eat carbs, and I'm diabetic!!!!!!!

Why can't I be forced not to eat them against my will !!!!!!!!!!!!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I, too, came across this type of diet whilst in Hospital. I ended up eating salad twice a day with an unwashed Apple. It was almost a starvation diet not one to recover from a major operation on. In addition they didn't feed me for 42 hours. I temporarily lost my sight and virtually lost consciousness . Yes,ofcourse the answer was to give me a glucose drip! My experience was that they did not have any idea how to treat a type 2 diabetic. I thought you were supposed to feel safe in hospital. Now, I take my own food with me. After a recent small op I was offered white toast or biscuits!

Did you see them unwash it?

(I eat apples from trees, is unwashed bad for me?)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been in this situation, whereby known as being diabetic, I ticked my choice1s on the menu but, when the meal arrived, some of my choices had been omitted with a note on the menu sheet accompanying that meal to say I couldn't have 'such and such' because I was a diabetic!!! Great, I managed to persuade somebody to get me some substitute off the trolley that was spare.

As others, and myself, have already pointed out, the hospitals SHOULD be able to treat diabetic choices in the same way as other dietry needs/preferences are met, ie gluten-free, religious requirements etc. In fact, it costs little/no more to provide diets to meet these needs. There isn't a regular menu choice for such requirements but are usually on a 'one-off'/as requested basis. There shouldn't be a problem - all is needed is better communication between patient/staff/catering dept, in my opinion and experience.
They did that to me in Peterborough... I had ordered a fry up and I got some terrible sausages in horrid gravy with dreadful mixed veg! I ate the sausages and left the rest. I think the potato had been reconstituted!

Reactions: Energize

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They did that to me in Peterborough... I had ordered a fry up and I got some terrible sausages in horrid gravy with dreadful mixed veg! I ate the sausages and left the rest. I think the potato had been reconstituted!

Smash rather than freshly made, hand prepared mashed potato.
I hope you raised a complaint!!!