Help me like cauliflower... please

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

It seems everywhere I look at LCHF, cauliflower is the most used ingredient... which is great unless you don't like it.

So, I like sometimes to eat things like low carb sausages and mash or simillar. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can mash with cauliflower to make it taste..... umm, unlike cauliflower! I'm probably being a wuss and could just get used to it, but I like to enjoy what I'm eating! I guess I could just boil all the flavour out of it..... I even tried cauli rice.... ye that was grim :(

I feel that if I don't like cauli I'm an LCHF pariah!:(

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

S

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree on the cheese.

I sometimes add some sour cream and black pepper, or if I'm doing cauli rice, as an accompaniment, I'll use whatever spices would usually be in the more usual rice. That means, for example, I can have Pilau Cauli Rice with my Ruby Murray.

Today I'm doing a Jambayala sort of concoction with has cauli rice added at the end, or the soup can be served over it.

http://www.lifeasaplate.com/2012/02/17/paleo-crockpot-jambalaya-soup/

I won't be using shrimp, as I have too much turkey from the freezer to use.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

It seems everywhere I look at LCHF, cauliflower is the most used ingredient... which is great unless you don't like it.

So, I like sometimes to eat things like low carb sausages and mash or simillar. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can mash with cauliflower to make it taste..... umm, unlike cauliflower! I'm probably being a wuss and could just get used to it, but I like to enjoy what I'm eating! I guess I could just boil all the flavour out of it..... I even tried cauli rice.... ye that was grim :(

S
Broccoli?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If I make cauli mash I mash it with garlic and herb soft cheese.

The way I like cauliflower the best is cut it in to florets then turn it over in spicy melted butter until all coated - then roast until starts to turn golden. Then ten minutes before the end grate some cheese over it. Yum.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh now I like the sound of that Chook!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The way I like cauliflower the best is cut it in to florets then turn it over in spicy melted butter until all coated - then roast until starts to turn golden. Then ten minutes before the end grate some cheese over it. Yum.
that sounds rather good...

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same as @Chook, although just soft cheese usually. The garlic is the essential bit, also a spoon of creme fraich and paprika

Reactions: Chook

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
We like it sliced, then tossed with olive oil salt pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice, then roasted in the oven till it caramelizes.

Reactions: zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning all,

S
Have you tried reheated mash. It doesn't spike me.
Do you like broccoli?

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Morning all,

S
I'd have to agree with you on that one - never did learn to like the stuff. Also mushrooms - yuk!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Boil it up in chicken stock or vegetable bouillon:)

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning all,

S

It tends to be a little wet unless you cook it in the microwave with no added water or dry it out in a saucepan after adding plenty of garlic, pepper, cream cheese and/or cheddar. I don't add cream, more fluid, but love it with a curry. Better than rice if done properly, like spiralised courgetti is at least as good as spaghetti.

If you don't like it, you don't and it's not your fault, just your preference.. Have a small slice of a low carb bread or nothing. There isn't a law that says you have to eat something else with your main course. Have a glass of wine or water if you want, but don't worry about it. :)

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got a bit fed up with it too. Have you tried Asdas giant cous cous? You will find it in freezer dept where they keep frozen vegetables

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried celeriac for mashing? Also ribbons of veg like courgette instead of rice - I often use frozen sliced green beans as a "rice" with curries or casseroles etc. If I use cauli I use fresh and steam it to keep it as dry as possible for mashing.
As rice I grate it and fry it from raw with spring onion and spices it stays pretty firm.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I grate it and make it into fried rice with spring onions , peas and Tamari Soy. Takes very little time to stir fry. Mash - I boil first then puree with about 2ozs cream cheese , parmesan and black pepper. Sometimes a little double cream. Like Chook I like to roast it - blanch for a couple of mins , drizzle with oil and I cover in a mix of curry powder, paprika and a little chilli. Add cheese at the tail end.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same as @Chook The garlic is the essential bit, also a spoon of creme fraich and paprika
Yes, and it has to be smoked paprika for me. I've tried all sorts of cauli styles but have come back to good old cauliflower cheese, with bacon and cream cheese, and sliced tomatoes under a cheddar crust.
EDIT I mash celeriac with butter & seasoning as a substitute for spud. It's not as smooth but it's ok imho

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I had to doctor cauliflower mash so that my husband would eat it - he's now a convert!

The version that turned his head was made with butter and cream cheese and a grating of nutmeg, with a bit of Shropshire Blue cheese on top before serving. He said afterwards that he would have still eaten it without the Shropshire Blue.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've also done it with a marinade - whole or on florets. Choose your own marinade. My go-to is a tandoori style. I have done a whole smaller cauli (about the size of a good sized grapefruit or mango) with turmeric, chilli flakes and chilli oil. Just roast in the oven at 180c fan, until the desired soft/firmness is achieved. That was, for me, around 40 minutes for the whole cauli, or about half for the florets.

I rarely have cauli just steamed as florets these days.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've also done it with a marinade - whole or on florets. Choose your own marinade. My go-to is a tandoori style. I have done a whole smaller cauli (about the size of a good sized grapefruit or mango) with turmeric, chilli flakes and chilli oil. Just roast in the oven at 180c fan, until the desired soft/firmness is achieved. That was, for me, around 40 minutes for the whole cauli, or about half for the florets.

I rarely have cauli just steamed as florets these days.

I like it roasted with five spice, sesame oil and a drizzle of light soy sauce or smoked paprika and garlic powder.

Until I started LCHF I had no idea there were so many ways to use cauliflower.