Help me like cauliflower... please

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, and it has to be smoked paprika for me. I've tried all sorts of cauli styles but have come back to good old cauliflower cheese, with bacon and cream cheese, and sliced tomatoes under a cheddar crust.

I'm going to try that :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Cauli rice is best fried in a dollop of ghee (or butter) then add in some garam masala or any other spices you like. I did try it with broccoli but it didn't turn out as nice.

Reactions: seanj67

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
May I ask if you follow the totally carnivore idea? I'm heading that way, rapidly. Never have liked fruit or much veg and could happily do without if hubby would go with it. He can cook his own, or make a salad. :D
Replied by private message.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar issue with mushrooms - turned out it was really a textural thing so I now blend them up before adding them to flax muffins :)

As to cauliflower - I posted this in the recipe section some time ago & I still like to keep a stock of them in the freezer.

"My new favourite thing!

Have made these twice now. The first batch stuck to the mini-muffin pan so I did the next ones on a baking paper lined try & they came out beautifully. They flattened a little in the cooking but they were delish - cheesy, soft but crispy golden discs of yum :D

I used a whole cauli & thus extra almond flour, cheese/spices. I only used the one egg & (I guess I didn't drain the cauli well enough!) added a couple of TBS of psyllium to help hold the mix together. I went with dry fried onion, chilli flakes, black pepper & a bit of veg stock powder for the flavouring. I also pureed the cauli more than the recipe suggests as I was after a creamier texture.

I froze the extras before baking & just thawed them o/night in the fridge when I next used them. I found 180 degrees to be the best baking temperature.

Recipe came from herehttp://www.kalynskitchen.com/2014/03/cheesy-baked-cauliflower-tots.html

Cheesy Baked Cauiflower Tots
(Makes 24 small Cauliflower Tots; recipe developed by Kalyn with inspiration fromseveralotherbloggers who also made Cauliflower Tots.)

Ingredients:
1/2 large head caulflower, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar
1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
2 T almond flour
1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or a slightly smaller amount of salt)
1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (Probably optional, but it does add flavor. You can substitute another all-purpose seasoning blend that tastes good with cauliflower)
fresh-ground black pepper to taste
1 egg

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a Mini Muffin Pan with non-stick spray.

Cut away the leaves of the cauliflower, but use most of the inner core part. Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in a micro-wave proof bowl, cover with cling wrap, and microwave 2 minutes on high. (Microwaves can vary so you may need to experiment with the time, but the cauliflower should be just slightly soft.) Quickly take off the cling-wrap and let the steam escape, and if you see any water in the bottom of the bowl, put the cauliflower into a colander and let the water drain off.

Put the steel blade in the food processor, add the cauliflower, and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped but still slightly chunky. (Be careful not to over process so you don't end up with cauliflower puree!) If there is any water in the food processor bowl, drain the cauliflower again in the colander.

Put finely chopped cauliflower into a bowl and add the reduced-fat sharp cheddar, coarsely grated Parmesan, almond flour, Vege-Sal or salt, Spike Seasoning (if using), and fresh-ground black pepper. Stir until ingredients are well-combined. Add the egg and stir until the ingredients are mostly coated with egg. (You might be tempted to add another egg, but don't. You'll be surprised how well this sticks together.)

Use a One Tablespoon Cookie Scoop or a steel one-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out rounded spoonfuls of the mixture and place it in the mini muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn each cauliflower tot over in the muffin tin and bake 15 minutes more, or until tots are nicely browned on both sides. Serve hot; these are best served right out of the oven."

Reactions: seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you find a way here of liking cauliflower then that's good but there are no rules that say you have to eat something you don't like. Why do you think you have to eat cauliflower now if you would not have eaten it before you had diabetes .Low carb is about not eating or lowering foods that raise your BG it is not about eating food you don't like

Ah no, it's not quite that. I was looking for something to have instead of potato mash. Cauliflower seems to be the go to alternative. So I guess I was looking for inspiration. There are 1001 things I could eat in place of potatoes, but not all work well with some dishes. Same with rice, I tend to have cabbage fried in butter in place of rice with curry now, or just curry :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on how low carb you want to eat Asda have ready made trays of root veg. mash, it's a mix of potato, carrot, swede and parsnip (I think) with cream and butter. 7.2g of carb per 100g.

I usually have my own root veg makings in the freezer (I include cauliflower in my homemade, 'cause i like it ), but the Asda one is quite a handy standby. Makes a nice topping for a quick shepherds pie with a sprinkle of cheese on top. I have about 1/3 of a tray so my share is about 10g of carb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For mash I make a mixture of celeriac, cauliflower, swede and a little parsnip with garlic and herb cream cheese. Like @geefull I make a lot and freeze it. Great for days when you don't feel like much cooking or just don't have the time.

I actually don't much like the flavour of cauliflower on its own but I do eat lots of it as spicy cauliflower rice or couscous. Last night I had it as rice with chilli and couldn't taste cauliflower at all.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Try broccoli, kale, shredded cabbage in cole slaw, brussel sprouts or just eat something else. As has been said before-do not make yourself eat something you do not like-just find something low carb you do like to eat.

Or eat very small quantities of higher carb foods-as long as you reduce the number of carbs you eat to the level that gives you good blood glucose readings you are doing something right!

Other lower carb vegetables include-rocket, lettuce, bell pepper, mushroom, onion, celery, green beans, tomato, jicama, parsley, summer squash, courgette, and there are more but those come immediately to mind.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I add a good dollop of mustard to my cauli mash (as well as butter) which I have with sausages and gravy. I can't tell the difference from potato!

Linda2250

Wow! So many delicious ideas I am going into cauliflower overload. I like cauli rice uncooked, and also courgette spaghetti raw because it gives them a bit of a crunch, although a quick blitz in the microwave to warm them up would help.

Gradually getting my T2 under control, but having trouble mopping up egg yolk without the toast/soldiers. Any ideas?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow! So many delicious ideas I am going into cauliflower overload. I like cauli rice uncooked, and also courgette spaghetti raw because it gives them a bit of a crunch, although a quick blitz in the microwave to warm them up would help.

Gradually getting my T2 under control, but having trouble mopping up egg yolk without the toast/soldiers. Any ideas?

Lidl roll (either toasted or untoasted) cuts up in to great soldiers. Also asparagus is gorgeous dipped in a softly boiled egg.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Try coconut flour flatbread: http://divaliciousrecipes.com/2013/08/27/flatbread-coconut-flour-and-psyllium/ I poach eggs and put them into a flatbread - really yummy! These breakfast muffins are also good: http://beautyandthefoodie.com/quick-paleo-english-muffins/ In fact I may make some for breakfast tomorrow...

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read somewhere that there are people who have an extra taste bud(do I mean bud?) that makes the bitter taste of brassicas more enhanced for them - so they don't like things like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels etc. And that's that.
I cook these things in small amounts for hubby because he says he actually LIKES them, but as I just don't like the taste I can't see any reason for eating them - ever. I don't like swede/turnip or green beans either.
OK, they may be 'good for you' but I see no reason to stuff anything down my throat if it makes me gag. I have tried putting feta cheese in mashed cauli, and hubby says its good, but when I tasted it - it just tasted like cauli with cheese added - so whats the point?
Celeriac mashed with cheese is OK, but its a fiddle to peel and cut up and my knives never seem sharp enough even though they cost ma packet. If I can't have spuds then I just do without...

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I grate the cauli and fry it in coconut oil then add a good dollop of creme fraiche, a teaspoon of mustard and a hefty sprinkle of peri-peri flakes. You can add any other veggies you like to cauli and fry it up too. Everyone `I've served it to had liked it as it doesn't taste so much of cauliflower but you may be extra sensitive to it. If you like hot food and put enough peri-peri flakes in it might the enough to make it palatable. Funnily enough I hated coconut and the taste of coconut but since starting this woe I have grown to love coconut oil and things made with coconut flour.

Tina16008

Mash boiled/steamed cauliflower with sour cream and nutmeg. Make up large batches and freeze in portion sizes. Will microwave from frozen in a couple of minutes.

Use raw cauliflower "rice" with lots of frozen chopped mint and fresh lemon juice as a base for tabouleh (I also add finely chopped cucumber, red pepper and onion). It will keep for a few days in the fridge.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz