Help me like cauliflower... please

Yvonne18888

Do you like Pizza? Try to blitz cauliflower to make a pizza base & bind with egg, cheese , herb or garlic. Top off with whatever you like. Lots of ideas on google.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
All good ideas. Or just don't eat it. I don't and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All good ideas. Or just don't eat it. I don't and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

May I ask if you follow the totally carnivore idea? I'm heading that way, rapidly. Never have liked fruit or much veg and could happily do without if hubby would go with it. He can cook his own, or make a salad. :D

ianh9516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have cauliflower cheese, but do not like cauliflower so I mash it up with brussel sprouts, runner beans and cabbage, to make it palatable.

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

It seems everywhere I look at LCHF, cauliflower is the most used ingredient... which is great unless you don't like it.

So, I like sometimes to eat things like low carb sausages and mash or simillar. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can mash with cauliflower to make it taste..... umm, unlike cauliflower! I'm probably being a wuss and could just get used to it, but I like to enjoy what I'm eating! I guess I could just boil all the flavour out of it..... I even tried cauli rice.... ye that was grim :(

I feel that if I don't like cauli I'm an LCHF pariah!:(

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

S
Have you tried the bread?

twistnflat

If I make cauli mash I mash it with garlic and herb soft cheese.

The way I like cauliflower the best is cut it in to florets then turn it over in spicy melted butter until all coated - then roast until starts to turn golden. Then ten minutes before the end grate some cheese over it. Yum.
Roasted it is great. You can also slice it into centimetre slices and roast it. Roasting it improves its flavour.

Reactions: Chook

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find a way here of liking cauliflower then that's good but there are no rules that say you have to eat something you don't like. Why do you think you have to eat cauliflower now if you would not have eaten it before you had diabetes .Low carb is about not eating or lowering foods that raise your BG it is not about eating food you don't like

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully understand the reason for the question. The OP would like to be able to eat cauliflower to give more choice at meal times. Similarly I would love to be able to like the taste of eggs, lamb and pork. I know I don't have to eat them, but if I could life would be easier (and it would have been easier for me even before I developed T2 too)

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I fully understand the reason for the question. The OP would like to be able to eat cauliflower to give more choice at meal times. Similarly I would love to be able to like the taste of eggs, lamb and pork. I know I don't have to eat them, but if I could life would be easier (and it would have been easier for me even before I developed T2 too)
The OP may not like cauliflower, but is willing to give it a go anyway. I adore cauliflower (and all brassicas) and I'm eating more than ever, but if the go-to vegetable wasn't cauliflower but beetroot, which I detest, I wouldn't even try to like it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP may not like cauliflower, but is willing to give it a go anyway. I adore cauliflower (and all brassicas) and I'm eating more than ever, but if the go-to vegetable wasn't cauliflower but beetroot, which I detest, I wouldn't even try to like it.
Same with me. I am gradually increasing the number of foods I like to eat, but eggs are still a no-no. Shame.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I make celeriac mash with butter and Philadelphia and black pepper - yum!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Curried - or add to another curry to bulk it out - you can't taste that its cauliflower at all.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried celeriac for mashing? Also ribbons of veg like courgette instead of rice - I often use frozen sliced green beans as a "rice" with curries or casseroles etc. If I use cauli I use fresh and steam it to keep it as dry as possible for mashing.
As rice I grate it and fry it from raw with spring onion and spices it stays pretty firm.

I use green beans tossed in butter, garlic & chilli flakes a lot :)

Reactions: lovinglife

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some great ideas here - thank you all.

When I did the rice, I just dried, grated & fried it...... still had that strong taste...