Can you get fake readings meaning that you going on in your body

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Blood sugar levels high for 1 month tested reader ok been on a course of antibiotics for a month. Can it been a issue with my stomach

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Leong. Your illness may very well cause your BS to rise as the hormones your body produces to combat the illness can cause an increase in BS.

Reactions: Energize

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Hi Leong. Your illness may very well cause your BS to rise as the hormones your body produces to combat the illness can cause an increase in BS.
Been off them for 3 weeks ?

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Time to start counting your carbohydrates and eating fewer of them. This will help lower your blood sugar. Also, always wash your hands thoroughly before testing as even a small amount of food or material on your hands can cause higher readings than your actual blood sugar.

Reactions: Tophat1900

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Time to start counting your carbohydrates and eating fewer of them. This will help lower your blood sugar. Also, always wash your hands thoroughly before testing as even a small amount of food or material on your hands can cause higher readings than your actual blood sugar.
I have always wash my hands morning read has been 13.5 for 3 and half weeks now after porridge 20 ketones sign. before infection and antibiotics i was 8 in morning highest without meds. What's going on

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
The question is can being on antibiotics for a long time like a month. And now off them can cause your stomach to have bacteria that can cause internal infection and give me high than normal blood sugar levels for sometime till stomach back to normal. Thank you

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
The ketones and high fasting blood glucose number do not sound good. Can you see your doctor? Maybe the infection is not gone-specific antibiotics treat specific bacteria better-you could be using the wrong antibiotic for the infection that you have. Antibiotics can also cause overgrowth of yeast=the antibiotics kill bacteria that keep the yeast in check and so you can get a thrush or overgrowth of yeast fungus in your digestive and/or urinary tract. Yogurt may help if this is the problem. All this could be better assessed by your doctor if you have access to them.
I do not think they are false numbers. I think something is making you sick. It could be eating too many carbohydrates but after hearing your recent history it sounds like you are still sick from the infection or damage caused by the infection. I would see my doctor as soon as possible.

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
porridge? bread? lack of fats?

Go on broth alone with water and tea a couple days and see what happens?
Ok will try broth not sure about tea as that could make it go high. But also it's been 3 and a half weeks now I've been talking prebiotic tabs and I'm still high. Does it take a long time for the stomach heal after a month course of antibiotics.?

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
The ketones and high fasting blood glucose number do not sound good. Can you see your doctor? Maybe the infection is not gone-specific antibiotics treat specific bacteria better-you could be using the wrong antibiotic for the infection that you have. Antibiotics can also cause overgrowth of yeast=the antibiotics kill bacteria that keep the yeast in check and so you can get a thrush or overgrowth of yeast fungus in your digestive and/or urinary tract. Yogurt may help if this is the problem. All this could be better assessed by your doctor if you have access to them.
I do not think they are false numbers. I think something is making you sick. It could be eating too many carbohydrates but after hearing your recent history it sounds like you are still sick from the infection or damage caused by the infection. I would see my doctor as soon as possible.
I had a blood test for viruses came back clear so not infection and test for ketones clear also. So could be the bacteria the doctor hasn't test me for this ? Can this be the problem for high blood sugars 13 to 29 for over 3 weeks now even though I been take prebiotic tabs . Thanks for your help

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
For a few days cut out all sugar and starch (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals and anything with flour in it). If you don't see a gradual improvement go back to the docs. I'm having the same kind of problem at the moment and doing the above I've reduced my daily average from an 18 daily average a week ago down to 8.5 yesterday. Try not to snack and if you're hungry don't be afraid to eat eggs, cheese, meat and lots of green veg. Once you've got your BG's back under control you can try reintroducing some of the things but use your meter to take readings two hours after you meal to make sure you BG's aren't spiking too much..

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Don't have sugars but bread and rice I do plus potatoes and porridge in morning. Is your problem due to antibiotics you just been on and now you have bacteria problem rising your numbers

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't have sugars but bread and rice I do plus potatoes and porridge in morning. Is your problem due to antibiotics you just been on and now you have bacteria problem rising your numbers

I'm afraid to tell you that bread, rice, potatoes and porridge all convert to sugars once inside your body, so in effect you are eating sugars.

What diabetes medication are you on?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You have been told that starchy foods (bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, flour based ...) very quickly convert to glucose when you eat them - only slightly slower than sugar itself? They are the primary reason BG's rise. Most T2's who want to control by diet have to significantly reduce starchy foods along with sugar.

My problem is different in the sense I was diagnosed 5 years ago and have successfully controlled by diet all that time (by reducing sugar and starch) until a few weeks ago when all the old symptoms re-emerged. My doc is currently investigating why they shot up as my diet has remained unchanged. While the investigation is going on I've reverted back to my first year post diagnosis diet by removing all sugar and starch. That originally got me really good BG's and I lost 4 stone. After the first year I reintroduced some starchy foods (nowhere near what I used to eat before DB) and have followed the same low sugar, low starch regime since then. Like I mentioned reverting back to no sugar, no starch is gradually working and once I get back to safe levels I'll try reintroducing some starchy foods to see what happens. If they spike again then I'll need to make a choice of whether to stick on a no sugar, no starch regime or look for alternatives in terms of medication. What you can't do is just ignore the problem.

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
I'm afraid to tell you that bread, rice, potatoes and porridge all convert to sugars once inside your body, so in effect you are eating sugars.

What diabetes medication are you on?
Because of the highs I'm been on metformin 500 two aday but before I was antibiotics i was on nothing training weight lifting. I don't thing the fungal Infection after the antibiotics has caused this

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because of the highs I'm been on metformin 500 two aday but before I was antibiotics i was on nothing training weight lifting. I don't thing the fungal Infection after the antibiotics has caused this

The cause of your problem sounds more like your diet than the antibiotics, but if you think you still have a fungal infection you must see your doctor.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
You have been told that starchy foods (bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, flour based ...) very quickly convert to glucose when you eat them - only slightly slower than sugar itself? They are the primary reason BG's rise. Most T2's who want to control by diet have to significantly reduce starchy foods along with sugar.

My problem is different in the sense I was diagnosed 5 years ago and have successfully controlled by diet all that time (by reducing sugar and starch) until a few weeks ago when all the old symptoms re-emerged. My doc is currently investigating why they shot up as my diet has remained unchanged. While the investigation is going on I've reverted back to my first year post diagnosis diet by removing all sugar and starch. That originally got me really good BG's and I lost 4 stone. After the first year I reintroduced some starchy foods (nowhere near what I used to eat before DB) and have followed the same low sugar, low starch regime since then. Like I mentioned reverting back to no sugar, no starch is gradually working and once I get back to safe levels I'll try reintroducing some starchy foods to see what happens. If they spike again then I'll need to make a choice of whether to stick on a no sugar, no starch regime or look for alternatives in terms of medication. What you can't do is just ignore the problem.
I truly understand what your saying I control my levels by doing weight lifting I'm 11st at most but since the problems I've been losing alot of weight now 10st I will to cut out starch foods. I do believe my stomach is where the problem lies but I can't understand why the doctor hasn't seen this as they the ones who gave me antibiotics

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok so now you are sounding like me. If you are not overweight and do loads of exercise and are getting ketones then short term cutting the sugar and starch right out should help however it sounds more like you could be a misdiagnosed and are actually slow onset LADA (T1.5) which is what they are now investigating me for. Given GP's and diabetic nurses tend to be slow at picking that up you could try the same approach as me which is to show that the only way you can maintain good BG's is by essentially eating a very low carbohydrate diet i.e. no sugar and starch.and then telling them that's not how you want to continue. You need to ask the GP for a GAD or c-peptide test. This will tell them if you are really T2 (mostly insulin resistant) or 1.5 (partial or significant loss of Beta cells) The GP may put up a fight as the test costs money but try and stand your ground. Point out that as a weight lifting 11 stone person you don't fit the profile of classic T2!

PS. In a worse case if you get nowhere with the GP previous members of this forum have taken extreme measures and allowed their BG's to rise temporarily, get ketones and then presented themselves at A&E as hospital doctors are more aware. Re-reading your posts I'm shocked the GP or nurse hasn't picked up on your weight loss and ketones as they are both not normally present for bog standard T2 and are strong indicators of T1.5.

Last edited:

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Ok so now you are sounding like me. If you are not overweight and do loads of exercise and are getting ketones then short term cutting the sugar and starch right out should help however it sounds more like you could be a misdiagnosed and are actually slow onset LADA (T1.5) which is what they are now investigating me for. Given GP's and diabetic nurses tend to be slow at picking that up you could try the same approach as me which is to show that the only way you can maintain good BG's is by essentially eating a very low carbohydrate diet i.e. no sugar and starch.and then telling them that's not how you want to continue. You need to ask the GP for a GAD or c-peptide test. This will tell them if you are really T2 (mostly insulin resistant) or 1.5 (partial or significant loss of Beta cells) The GP may put up a fight as the test costs money but try and stand your ground. Point out that as a weight lifting 11 stone person you don't fit the profile of classic T2!

PS. In a worse case if you get nowhere with the GP previous members of this forum have taken extreme measures and allowed their BG's to rise temporarily, get ketones and then presented themselves at A&E as hospital doctors are more aware. Re-reading your posts I'm shocked the GP or nurse hasn't picked up on your weight loss and ketones as they are both not normally present for bog standard T2 and are strong indicators of T1.5.
Sorry I meant to say I got tested for ketones at hospital when I was 29 and I wasn't ketone. But my reader said it weird:(