A conversation between a doctor and me

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This was the dialogue during a recent appointment:

Dr. (after reviewing my BSL record): "It's good to see your blood sugars are normal. It must be the medications that you are on."

Me: "Well actually, I halved my medications. I have drastically reduced my carb intake"

Dr: "No, you must not do that! Your body needs carbs!"

Me: "Why does my body need carbs?"

Dr: "Your body need carbs for energy. Without it you won't have any energy."

Me: "But I have more energy now than when I was consuming lots of carbs."

Dr: "You MUST have some carbs"

Me: "But that will only increase my blood sugars."

Dr: "That is why you have your medications"

Currently I'm looking for a new doctor for future consultations!:banghead:
It is absolutely insane, isn't it. Get a new one; this one will do more harm than good.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For nearly three years, not doing what this doctor believes has made me healthier and increased my life by decades.
I must have carbs for energy is the biggest load of BS ever!
I don't have any lack of energy on a LC diet

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont fats and protein give energy too? or is there something special about the energy from carbs? and by 'energy' do they mean calories? I dont understand why only carb energy works for brains. My DSN says I need at least 120g of carbs a day to feed my brain, but she didnt know why.
It's not true. Just something they repeat

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with your doctor. Before Banting and Best doctors starved people to get rid of carbohydrates. The result was death and not much longer than 6 months.
Two years and counting.

Reactions: Doriand

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
I agree with your doctor. Before Banting and Best doctors starved people to get rid of carbohydrates. The result was death and not much longer than 6 months.
Instead of starving people to death doctors of that era (gosh, they were wrong then) should have allowed their patients to eat fats and proteins and that's a way to get rid of carbs without dying with in six months. Since you have posted in the Low Carb Diet forum, read how others overcame their T2D with low carb or even no carb diets. If I followed my (former) doctors advice, my blood sugar readings will go up resulting in increased medication doses. Doesn't make sense ...

Reactions: dbr10

Hotpepper20000

Instead of starving people to death doctors of that era (gosh, they were wrong then) should have allowed their patients to eat fats and proteins and that's a way to get rid of carbs without dying with in six months. Since you have posted in the Low Carb Diet forum, read how others overcame their T2D with low carb or even no carb diets. If I followed my (former) doctors advice, my blood sugar readings will go up resulting in increased medication doses. Doesn't make sense ...
I can say this forum has saved my life. Both my physical and mental well being has improved greatly since finding this site.
However im going to go out on a limb to say this and perhaps I'm misguided. We here on this forum search for answers to our health questions. I think that is less commen in the general public. We question doctors and other health professionals.
I know for myself I wasn't content with the usual answers and thus it lead me to years of searching and experimenting to feel better. Not everything worked. Even on here there are differing opinions and we all have to find what works for us.
I would dare say that a lot of people do not want to change. They are happy taking pills and going about their lives. They trust doctors completely.
Change is hard.
With all that being said we should at least be given options besides "eat healthy cut out sugar oh and here are some pills."
Hopfully the tides will slowly change

Reactions: connie104

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the Meat Marketing board (is there still this organisation?) Advised us to up our protein and cook with natural animal fats.
What do you think would be the response?
If the dairy industry told us it had found evidence that full fat dairy is good for us!
If the egg industry, whatever! Told us to eat more eggs, Edwina Currie and all would instantly get their knickers in a twist! If the government actually came out and said cereals were really bad for diabetics! (Oh my god!)
Could the farmer's recover from bad news that the grains and fruit that they produce, could be eliminated from our diets. (The world would end!)
Brewery and soft drinks multi nationals, would create their own evidence of the goodness of their products! (Oh yeah, they already do that!)

Could the western world survive?
Would democracy fail?
Could Jamie stop the kids actually eating a sugar free diet, with no chips and plenty of fresh vegetables and fish?

And most importantly, how would Bake Off be viewed?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can say this forum has saved my life. Both my physical and mental well being has improved greatly since finding this site.
However im going to go out on a limb to say this and perhaps I'm misguided. We here on this forum search for answers to our health questions. I think that is less commen in the general public. We question doctors and other health professionals.
I know for myself I wasn't content with the usual answers and thus it lead me to years of searching and experimenting to feel better. Not everything worked. Even on here there are differing opinions and we all have to find what works for us.
I would dare say that a lot of people do not want to change. They are happy taking pills and going about their lives. They trust doctors completely.
Change is hard.
With all that being said we should at least be given options besides "eat healthy cut out sugar oh and here are some pills."
Hopfully the tides will slowly change

I quite agree with you that many type 2,s are happy to just take the tablets and carry on eating and drinking the same diet that got them type 2 thinking the tablets are going to save them from any complications in the future .
I recently was introduced to a friend of a friend who told me she was just like me and had diabetes. At lunch she ordered a large orange juice and a carb laden meal . When I asked if the orange juice spiked her she said no as she takes the tablets her doctor prescribed!!
I did suggest she joined the forum as it was a wealth of information but so far I do t think this has happened .

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quite agree with you that many type 2,s are happy to just take the tablets and carry on eating and drinking the same diet that got them type 2 thinking the tablets are going to save them from any complications in the future .
I recently was introduced to a friend of a friend who told me she was just like me and had diabetes. At lunch she ordered a large orange juice and a carb laden meal . When I asked if the orange juice spiked her she said no as she takes the tablets her doctor prescribed!!
I did suggest she joined the forum as it was a wealth of information but so far I do t think this has happened .
I am on holiday with a tour group including several diabetics. One told me she had controlled her diabetes for ten years by diet, as she tucking into a dish of ice cream.

Hotpepper20000

I am on holiday with a tour group including several diabetics. One told me she had controlled her diabetes for ten years by diet, as she tucking into a dish of ice cream
I am on holiday with a tour group including several diabetics. One told me she had controlled her diabetes for ten years by diet, as she tucking into a dish of ice cream.

Hopfully that was just a once in a while treat for her. We all have different paths.
As long as no one looks at my plate and comments the rest is non of my business.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopfully that was just a once in a while treat for her. We all have different paths.
As long as no one looks at my plate and comments the rest is non of my business.
Actually it wasn't. I just felt that she'd been let down by HCPs.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was the dialogue during a recent appointment:

Dr. (after reviewing my BSL record): "It's good to see your blood sugars are normal. It must be the medications that you are on."

Me: "Well actually, I halved my medications. I have drastically reduced my carb intake"

Dr: "No, you must not do that! Your body needs carbs!"

Me: "Why does my body need carbs?"

Dr: "Your body need carbs for energy. Without it you won't have any energy."

Me: "But I have more energy now than when I was consuming lots of carbs."

Dr: "You MUST have some carbs"

Me: "But that will only increase my blood sugars."

Dr: "That is why you have your medications"

Currently I'm looking for a new doctor for future consultations!:banghead:
Doctors (not all) do not like to think that YOU are in control of YOUR condition! They are! Didn't you know? You undermine their authority if you do it for yourself!
It begs believe that someone getting results like yours could be undermined in such a way! You carry on!! Well done!!

Hotpepper20000

Maybe, but goes back to my first post on this thread. Not everyone does research when they get diagnosed. Some people are happy with business as usual But it is up to each of us to have some personal responsibility. It can't all be put on the HCP.
I know this is not a popular point of view.
Most people know that if your diabetic that Ice cream is not a good choice. You shouldn't need a doctor to tell you that.

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe, but goes back to my first post on this thread. Not everyone does research when they get diagnosed. Some people are happy with business as usual But it is up to each of us to have some personal responsibility. It can't all be put on the HCP.
I know this is not a popular point of view.
Most people know that if your diabetic that Ice cream is not a good choice. You shouldn't need a doctor to tell you that.
True. But she's had it 15 years and was probably told less than I was two years ago. There is an individual responsibility to find out about the condition; but some people seem to cope best with their heads in the sand, sadly.

Hotpepper20000

True. But she's had it 15 years and was probably told less than I was two years ago. There is an individual responsibility to find out about the condition; but some people seem to cope best with their heads in the sand, sadly.
Its hard to see isn't? I have a friend who is also type 2 and is on some diet where she can't even eat salmon or any nuts. She mentioned it was only until she loses 50 pounds the she could go back to eating normal. She kept referring to what I'm doing as "your diet" and I had to gently correct her that even when I'm at my goal I'm not going back to traditional healthy eating. This is for life. I feel great and won't go back.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its hard to see isn't? I have a friend who is also type 2 and is on some diet where she can't even eat salmon or any nuts. She mentioned it was only until she loses 50 pounds the she could go back to eating normal. She kept referring to what I'm doing as "your diet" and I had to gently correct her that even when I'm at my goal I'm not going back to traditional healthy eating. This is for life. I feel great and won't go back.
No. Fact is we can't. I certainly hope I can stick to it. Now if I just knew why all my replies appear twice.....