Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @wiseowl_123
Feel free to discuss porridge spikes here.
Loads of us diabetics get spikes on porridge.
Many of us know how good it is for heart health so we try and cover those lost micronutrients needed by eating other foods instead.

Last edited:

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
9.15am(I hour) was 9.4 1 hour after Porridge,10.15am(2 hour) 6.1and ,I don't know what the reading means as I am still learning @ickihun what would be an acceptable level be ,doesent everyone get spikes when they eat porridge ,and does it mean that its alright for me to continue eating it.Thank you:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@wiseowl_123 in my experience you can eat anything in moderation. I've been diabetic 40yrs+.
If you low carb you get less spikes and can stop the hyper, hypo thing getting out of hand. Which of course puts pressure on your heart.
Less spikes, I feel is much more healthier for any diabetic. Even type1s.
You must cover your nutrients thou. That is imperative.
Potato spikes a lot of diabetics too but full if potatassium to control high blood pressure problems.
So you must double up on other low carb potassium filled foods. Its a complex job but not impossible. This is the job of a dietician but they pick the easy route of porridge and potato for us diabetics. It all needs a good shake up!

Your 2hr spike I feel is very good. Mine would be 12mmol/l.
Remember everyone's diabetic journey is different!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now sitting at 5.0 is this a worry?

After three hours that's not bad.
I'd throw the golden syrup away though.

(Although I was feeding my mum porridge and golden syrup over Christmas, she's non diabetic, and needs to put on weight, so it was as much golden syrup as porridge, definately not good for us though.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Golden syrup is all sugar. Sugar is what we don't want - even a small amount. You recovered well to get back to 5, but honestly, I would ditch the syrup next time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
sorry, the golden syrup has to go!
Porridge is tricky because, yes we need the goodness out of the it, but the spikes can be too high if you have, like me an intolerance to grains of any type!
It was porridge I had eaten on the morning of a doctor's visit, that my GP seen me hypo in front of her! That was two and a half hours after eating a small bowl made with water! (As directed by my dietician!!!!) Grrrrrrr!!!!

Testing and getting the portion size is Important. Your result after two hours would have my alarm bells ringing if like my wife been that high! (She is T2)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Something I've noticed with the Freestyle Libre that I'm using at the moment is that there isn't always an easy explanation for peaks and troughs.

My "treat" of the week is toast on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday my BG went up like a rocket from 7 something before breakfast to 16 after breakfast (poached egg, toast). Just as well I was playing golf (badly), it dropped back to 7 something by the time I finished. This morning toast again, but with very lean bacon and it hasn't gone above 10 and now dropping. Might be the fat, but bacon was very lean.

I probably won't be trying porridge, although those little packets that you add milk to and microwave are very tempting.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
9.15am(I hour) was 9.4 1 hour after Porridge,10.15am(2 hour) 6.1and ,I don't know what the reading means as I am still learning @ickihun what would be an acceptable level be ,doesent everyone get spikes when they eat porridge ,and does it mean that its alright for me to continue eating it.Thank you:)

What was your meal pre reading?
Everyone who eats a modicum of carbs will get spikes.
The trick is to eat foods or little enough of food, to spike you too high.
Say for instance, your pre meal reading was 6mmols,
You had a small potato and some veg, with a few slices of meat.
The potato would spike you higher than the veg and the Meat.
The spike could be 8mmols at one hour.
You need to get back around 6 again, to be sure the spike is not too high after two hours.
You eat to your meter.
If you find that by two hours, you are above 6mmols, then something in that meal is not good for you! And I'm certain it would be the potato!
Of course, fat plays an important role in slowing the digestion process slowed down to offset any carbs.
Getting the balance right is so important to help your diet.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was just a small amount to give bland porridge a taste that's all
ok so... porridge is bland (agree completely) not especially good for Type 2s either... so why eat it?
Bacon and eggs so much nicer, more filling and more importantly no spike. If you are frightened of bacon (some people seem to be) then just eggs..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Something I've noticed with the Freestyle Libre that I'm using at the moment is that there isn't always an easy explanation for peaks and troughs.

My "treat" of the week is toast on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday my BG went up like a rocket from 7 something before breakfast to 16 after breakfast (poached egg, toast). Just as well I was playing golf (badly), it dropped back to 7 something by the time I finished. This morning toast again, but with very lean bacon and it hasn't gone above 10 and now dropping. Might be the fat, but bacon was very lean.

I probably won't be trying porridge, although those little packets that you add milk to and microwave are very tempting.

While you have the benefit of the Libre it is the right time to experiment with food choices. Perhaps try 2 poached eggs with your toast? Then try your porridge. You'll never know otherwise. May as well make the best use of your Libre that you can.

C

catherinecherub

Still trying to navigate round all this
It is early days for you @James1968
You may find that if you buy the really rough oats, use a smaller portion and add seeds and crushed nuts plus a few berries that it will work for you.
Everyone is unique as to what they can and cannot eat and also the amount of carbs that they can safely eat.
it is good that you are experimenting as that is the only way to learn. It takes a while for everything to come together and the worst thing that can happen is when you experience information overload. Take it slowly as it is a marathon as opposed to a sprint.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @Lamont D and thank you for your friendly and helpful post,most appreciated my friend:)

Reactions: Lamont D