1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

does porridge cause you bg spikes?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by ickihun, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Porridge used to be my everyday breakfast, when i started testing i was seeing jumps from 6-9 so i stopped it. I do miss it though.

2. Bellatom

Bellatom Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

This morning I had a sachet of Dorset Cereals cranberry porridge
    Blood level pre was 6.0 2hrs post was 7.
    I know that I shouldnt use this sachet type porridge but I find it fab for me as I know exactly whats in there, its an exact amount and is really tasty . I fill the sachet line with 3 parts water and 1 part milk and it is made up with large oats.
    I add nothing else, its not the largest portion in the world and not the cheapest but I went 5 hrs before feeling a little hungry . It has small particules of dried cranberry so its not bland and it doesnt need anything adding to it.

3. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Fat will smooth a spike for me.
    I have posted on here before that I used to have 100g of wholegrain oats (groats) soaked in hot water in a vacuum flask overnight and then reheated with cream, butter, coconut oil, berries, cinnamon, seeds and nuts. It never spiked me. I only needed a light lunch after that.
    Not much use if you're in a hurry though!

4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I eat 35grams of porridge in the manner @catherinecherub states, which raise my count by 1.2 mmol around 3 times a week. I also sneak in cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook